Made some saddlebag supports

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Made some saddlebag supports *updated with bags mounted*

I wanted some way to keep my saddlebags from sagging and possibly hitting the rear tire. I looked around the site and combined a few different ideas. Thought I'd add my solution to the mix. I used 3/8 aluminum rod and rubber covered clamps. I've still got to trim off the forward ends of the rods flush with the clamps and spray a coat of bedliner.

2l2nvd.jpg

doks3a.jpg

2nsudsi.jpg

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to do this for the wife's FZ6R. There's not a lot to the tail of that bike and she's already rubbed the saddle on the tire. I've tried everything to get them not to sag so something HAS to be fabbed up. Great idea!!! Thanks!!

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey Convict, those look great! I think you should seriously consider fabing up a few more and include the clamps and sell them as 'kits'! I for one would be very interested in purchasing a set!!!

Well done!

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
very well done. like the idea. two bad you couldn't have posted it before i bought my givi racks. i don't have the creativity but i'm a great thief. top quality job. i'd love to see a pic with the bags on when you get a chance.

copperhd5

Reaction score
Visit site
Nicely done! Creative solution. I'm with Boneman on your fabbing up a few more and selling them. If you do, count me in as a customer!

Last edited:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty neat idea and looking result.
Thanks for sharing.
Wonder when the saddle bag is on?
Would you post photos with bags are on....!!!

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thats an awesome job, definately the most elegant solution I've seen to the problem, and the only one that isn't pretty hideously ugly :p (Sorry previous modders)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of bending one up but making it a one-piece, not cutting it off and continue the loop under the tail through all the clamps. Seems that might be more rigid? Love this idea! :D

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of bending one up but making it a one-piece, not cutting it off and continue the loop under the tail through all the clamps. Seems that might be more rigid? Love this idea! :D

That's how I wanted to do it but Lowes only had the aluminum in 3 ft lengths and each side took a little over 2 ft. Also, I'm not sure how high that rear fender goes when you come down hard on it. If I have any problems with these I'll look around for some longer stock and see about making it all one piece. Maybe like a big "C" going across the back and stopping at the clamps in the front. I don't think it's going to be an issue, though. The clamps are holding pretty tight. I beat on them before installing the bags and they didn't budge. They flex up and down a little, but the bags will be pushing in, rather than up/down and there is no lateral movement.

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Got some pics with the bags mounted. I'll have to think about making these to sell. It's definitely not on par with the quality of the product on the 20 page post foot pegs.:D I'm happy with how they turned out, but it's far from from precision work. I just eyeballed all the angles and got them as close as I could. I'd be nervous trying to charge money for something that wasn't made to exact standards. We'll have to see how it goes.

The bags are about 1/4 - 1/2 inch away from the sides of the bike so I don't have to worry about them rubbing the paint off.
2vv6t8l.jpg

Kind of wide out back, but I didn't really have a choice. The bags are pretty big and with them only having one wide top strap, I don't have any room to move them forward or back and still keep them between the grab rails and under the seat. Without the supports, the bags would sit on the turn signals and still be out that wide, anyway. I had decided to leave them bare aluminum but, now that I see them from the back with the bags on, I wish I had sprayed them. Oh well. The bolts are loc tited on and it's not worth it to me to pull them off again, right now.
rjjoty.jpg

Side.
2vl7koi.jpg

Front
fntj0h.jpg

A closer shot to show the clearance between the bag and the side panel.
4vij9k.jpg

I hope to be able to load up the FZ6 like I did my V-Strom.
6gyer5.jpg