Main beam doing this...

sifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone got any idea why this is happening? It's following a naked conversion, when I hit the main beam switch the dials go nuts.

https://youtu.be/iStCvB3Z3qw

At the moment I'm using the stock loom from a fz6s. The right headlight is plugged but I don't have the sidelight plugged in yet - would that make any difference?

I've also got a flashing oil light but have plenty of oil in the bike?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone got any idea why this is happening? It's following a naked conversion, when I hit the main beam switch the dials go nuts.

https://youtu.be/iStCvB3Z3qw

At the moment I'm using the stock loom from a fz6s. The right headlight is plugged but I don't have the sidelight plugged in yet - would that make any difference?

I've also got a flashing oil light but have plenty of oil in the bike?
The wire for the low beam is black with a green tracer. The wire for the high beam is black with a yellow tracer. Black is the ground. I'm thinking your headlamp is the H4 type. It looks as if you may have headlamp voltage going to the data line that's​ going to the instrument cluster IC. Or possibly a poor ground. But you probably have wiring incorrect.... Do you have wiring diagram with color codes? It is essential.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I haven't done anything with a ground wire at the moment, I've just plugged in a new harness and getting this result. Should I have a ground connected to the bike in there somewhere?

I will double check the wiring again to make sure. I haven't cut the harness at all as I made a mess of the last one.

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I haven't done anything with a ground wire at the moment, I've just plugged in a new harness and getting this result. Should I have a ground connected to the bike in there somewhere?

I will double check the wiring again to make sure. I haven't cut the harness at all as I made a mess of the last one.
I attached my ground wire to my tank bolts and there is no tightness etc. lock to lock. Might be worth connecting it up and seeing if that works, it should run next to the speedo connector.

Here's a pic of it originally on the fairing stay.

I think eventually I'm gonna drill a hole in the bracket and relocate it under where the speedo sits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I attached my ground wire to my tank bolts and there is no tightness etc. lock to lock. Might be worth connecting it up and seeing if that works, it should run next to the speedo connector.

I think eventually I'm gonna drill a hole in the bracket and relocate it under where the speedo sits.

Cheers again. I don't seem to have a spare ground wire - does it need cutting from the loom? I'm also on an S1 bike so not sure if that's different.

My friend's a bit worried I've caused a spike with my previous faulty loom and basically written-off the speedo.

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers again. I don't seem to have a spare ground wire - does it need cutting from the loom? I'm also on an S1 bike so not sure if that's different.

My friend's a bit worried I've caused a spike with my previous faulty loom and basically written-off the speedo.
Mine was part of the loom, maybe the s1 is different. I don't suppose you have another speedo to try?

sifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was part of the loom, maybe the s1 is different. I don't suppose you have another speedo to try?

I don't unfortunately - but it's looking an ever-increasing possibility it may be the speedo.

However, I have just looked at the wiring again on the tutorial and noticed I've plugged in the right hand light rather than the left. From what I've read I should then take the black wire from what was the right hand light and earth that.

Fingers crossed that solves the problem and an oil/filter change may get rid of my oil light.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't unfortunately - but it's looking an ever-increasing possibility it may be the speedo.

However, I have just looked at the wiring again on the tutorial and noticed I've plugged in the right hand light rather than the left. From what I've read I should then take the black wire from what was the right hand light and earth that.

Fingers crossed that solves the problem and an oil/filter change may get rid of my oil light.
There should be a yellow wire going into the instrument cluster. Disconnect the yellow wire. This is the high beam indicator signal. Does the instrument read out read and do all it's functions normally? Since it seems to be high beam related?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update and to conclude this, in case anyone else suffers a similar problem. The issue turned out to be a bent connector in the wiring block. I took it to a mechanic who found it straight away and pointed out I'd been lucky not to cause any serious problems. He also tidied up my cabling and got it to a point where everything is where it should be and not binding. So happy with the bike now, looks (and seems to ride) so much better. Up next, a new seat!