Mallala (Track day) May the 9th Oinky...with pics.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since there are probably a few folk eagerly awaiting some pics from Wolfman's track day today I thought I'd get the ball rolling:cheer:....warning..my camera is no good for the longer range stuff and since it was zoomed to the max and then blown up a touch for cropping, these pics will be a little fuzzy.

You can't win 'em all:Flip:...lol.

Looked to go really well from my spectators view today. Wolfman was looking very comfortable on the bike after his familiarization ride last weekend:rockon:. And a good reduction in best time...around 5 second....1min 23 secs.

Thanks again for the entertainment mate:thumbup:...lol

The ride out there was moderately cruddy...lol...rain for a lot of the way, followed by some nice dry straight roads:eek::spank:...grrr.

The ride home was positively awful....lol...Nice dry straight roads:eek:, followed by rain all the way through the hills again....lol...Ahhh, symmetry. You've got to love it:spank:. Of course the dufus who forgot to pack my clear visor leaving me in a dark smoked one at night didn't help...lol.:D

Any how, without further ado...pics:thumbup:

Jamie on the tail of of Paul CBR 1000.
View attachment 16262

Looking happy with traction

View attachment 16263

Turn 8 is about the only place where my little point and shoot can get a reasonable pic....so get used to seeing it..lol

View attachment 16264

View attachment 16265

View attachment 16266

View attachment 16267

And a couple more of Paul getting to know his new toy...lol.

View attachment 16268

View attachment 16269

Thanks again for a great day guys.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Mike...he looked good eh? Another 5 seconds off his time! Awesome!

Great photos, thanks for posting them! Looks like our Man is getting better and better! GO PINK PIG! errrr...Yellow Bee!!! or Screaming Hornet!!! well you know what I mean. :D:thumbup:

So where are the sparks from the foot pegs dragging? :rolleyes:

Great photos, thanks for posting them! Looks like our Man is getting better and better! GO PINK PIG! errrr...Yellow Bee!!! or Screaming Hornet!!! well you know what I mean. :D:thumbup:

So where are the sparks from the foot pegs dragging? :rolleyes:

LOL...Those pegs are going to take some effort to scrape. They are about 2.5 to 3 inches higher than mine:rockon:The valtermoto ones are higher but these also have the offset plate to raise them up even more...lol....the Stand mount bracket had some scrape marks on it today though:eek:. Looks like that'll have to come off too:rolleyes:.

Cheers
Mike

Oh yeah the stands need to go! GEEEERRRRRIIIINNNNDDDDD!!!!

Stand is gone...lol...this is the bracket the stand mounts to:eek:

There's two corners that i could see where he was getting it right over, but they were too far off to get pics:(.

Cheers
Mike

Great pics Mike, looks like the day was a big success... 5 seconds off his last time... Way to go Jamie!!! Another 5 seconds, and you'll be over-taking Gazza on his Z ;)

:)

Well i thought it was about time i chimed in with some input! Yes, am definitely finding it easier to go faster, and with less stress...Gazza was pretty happy with yesterday, as i was.

We are now getting to the point where i am pushing the bike hard enough to really need to start fiddling wit the suspension, etc...

I reckon i could of gone a couple of seconds quicker again yesterday, but was really trying to concentrate on technique more than anything...especially my feet, weighting the pegs, position, etc...

In the last session, i was first bike out, and stayed at the head of the group for about 8 laps....until my front tyre finally went off....after 135 laps of Mallala, and a 300km road ride last weekend....

At this point,with only about 2 laps to go for the rest of the day...i just rolled off the throttle, and cruised...3 front end slides in 3 corners was enough!

So now it's a case of giving Pinky her first "overhaul" since coming into my possesion.....needs an oil change, some new brake pads, a change of rear spring, etrc, etc....

Gotta say, Pinky is a sweet handler, and is more than a match for most 600's, and plenty of other bikes that should be leaving her in the weeds....

Am really startring to enjoy this now! Confidence is a wonderful thing!

Thanks for taking & posting the pics Mikey....You rock!

:rockon:

OK, have just been trawling the net for FZ6 Cup lap times at Mallala....as my times are coming down, and i am starting to feel like i can improve quite a bit more, i am now really curious to see what my "target" lap time is.

Now the Fastest qualifying lap for an FZ6 at Mallala, is a 1min13.769 seconds...that is really moving on an FZ6!!!!

The guy who was riding my bike, Ken Wootton, Qualifyed with a 1.22.8second lap...and was riding around in the race at about the same pace as i was going on the weekend, between 1.23 and 1.25.

now here is the thing!

Was riding on some pretty tired tyres on the weekend, with the OEM seat that did not really help body positioning, a slightly clunky gearbox...needs an oil change, and suspension, that is now starting to show that the rear spring is a bit soft for my fat butt, as seems to be the case with the front forks....which needs stiffening.

So my aim is to get oinky back into full race trim, with new tyres, brake pads, oil change, suspension tweaks, and heavier rearspring fitted, by the time the next track day is here...Saturday May 31.

Am guessing, that all these things, coupled with a growing confidence, then i might just be able to get my lap times down to something like a 1min17sec, or 1min18sec, next time i am out, which would of qualified me about mid field in last years race at mallala....

I would be very happy with that!

Here's a few very crappy pic's from the weekend...yes my camera is nearly dead!

View attachment 16364

View attachment 16365

View attachment 16366

View attachment 16367
Am waiting for the Photographers who were at the track on Saturday to post their pictures...hopefully, they have got some better ones!

Stand is gone...lol...this is the bracket the stand mounts to:eek:

There's two corners that i could see where he was getting it right over, but they were too far off to get pics:(.

Cheers
Mike

Holy Cow! The brackets huh??? I am dully impressed! Nothing a grinder won't fix.

Yup...gotta pull that maintenance if you want to go fast. What tires are you going to use? I assume some kind of a full on race tire?

And you're very right about the FZ being able to hold it's own, so much is the rider and not the machine. I had so much fun on my FZ blasting by the Duc guys with all of the toys, something very gratifying about that. :rolleyes: I suppose it affirms my superiority. :D j/k!!!

Now get to work and prep that bike for the big weekend!

You said it in your first post... focus on technique and the better times will follow suit... don't get so focused on your lap times that your technique gets sloppy... you may be able to turn in a few faster laps if you just concentrate on the times but the real money is in consistent lap times and that will come from good technique

congratulations on your great session and way to back off when the bike wasn't dialed in... smart move :thumbup:

much respect to you and everyone else who is out on the track pushing the bikes

Yup...gotta pull that maintenance if you want to go fast. What tires are you going to use? I assume some kind of a full on race tire?

And you're very right about the FZ being able to hold it's own, so much is the rider and not the machine. I had so much fun on my FZ blasting by the Duc guys with all of the toys, something very gratifying about that. :rolleyes: I suppose it affirms my superiority. :D j/k!!!

Now get to work and prep that bike for the big weekend!

The Bike is being pulled down this Saturday coming, with brakes getting a full service, and possibly new brake pads. Oil will be changed (MOTUL 7100 10W/40, + new filter), tops will come off the forks for a bit of stiffening via the Gold valve emulators, rear will be stiffened up, plugs will get a look at, maybe a change, etc, etc...

As for tyres, well this is what is on there....

FRONT
SPORTMAX GP RACER D209 120/70 ZR17M/C (58W) GP RACER D209 MEDIUM FRONT
View attachment 16382

And the link to the Dunlop tyre manufactured in France...
Dunlop Motorcycle | Tyres | Ranges | Road Radial | Gp Racer D209

REAR
SPORTMAX QUALIFIER RR 180/55 ZR17M/C (73W) QUALIFIER RR MEDIUM REAR
View attachment 16383

And the link to the Dunlop tyre manufactured in France...
Dunlop Motorcycle | Tyres | Ranges | Road Radial | Qualifier RR

and it seems they have been doing the job just nicely, could go softer, but i havent had any grip issues, except right at the end of Saturday, when the front started going off, after about 750km's, and 18 heat cycle's....that's astonishly good performance, tyres have worn incredibly evenly, and seem well matched....and if YRT think they were good enough to fit, then who am i to question their judgement at this point....

Have thought of maybe going for some Pirelli Supercorsa Pro's in a medium compound, but availability is not good.

You said it in your first post... focus on technique and the better times will follow suit... don't get so focused on your lap times that your technique gets sloppy... you may be able to turn in a few faster laps if you just concentrate on the times but the real money is in consistent lap times and that will come from good technique

congratulations on your great session and way to back off when the bike wasn't dialed in... smart move :thumbup:

much respect to you and everyone else who is out on the track pushing the bikes

All the way through i have not tried to ride the wheels off the bike, in fact, have always had a bit in the bank as far as that goes. As for focusing on lap times, that is still most definitely secondary to technique, which is what it's all about for a good while yet.....but it is nice to know where you need to be, allbeit, mostly in the back of your mind....

At track days, there is no-one to beat, and i am not out to beat anyone....too busy worrying about where my body weight is positioned, getting my bloody feet in the right place on the pegs...shifting my weight smoothly, so as not to unsettle the bike...piucking when and how many gears to change down, trail braking...the list goes on and on...

Not even worried about getting the knee down effortlessly...that will come, especially as i am a big bloke, and as a rule, big fella's are best keeping the bike upright as possible...

Thanks for the positive input guys.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics guys! and Wolfy, get your ass off that thing! :D :rockon:

LOL! 25 years of road riding habits die hard....very hard....is easier with Racers Edge seat....am getting better...really, i am!

:eek:

Have thought of maybe going for some Pirelli Supercorsa Pro's in a medium compound, but availability is not good.

Bugga...I was hoping to put something like that on for my first track day...lol. Then I don't really have to worry about traction as long as I am smooth as my pegs are the limiting factor anyway. Just was going to use them for an extra safety margin...lol...don't really need them. Ah well, Pilot Powers it is:rockon:.

Bugga...I was hoping to put something like that on for my first track day...lol. Then I don't really have to worry about traction as long as I am smooth as my pegs are the limiting factor anyway. Just was going to use them for an extra safety margin...lol...don't really need them. Ah well, Pilot Powers it is:rockon:.

The Powers will serve you well.....Just Ask Gazza!

Back