Meet the new bike... same as the old bike ;-)

Reaction score
Visit site
Some idiot U-Turned out of traffic on me a few months back (7th December to be precise) and wrote off my other bike, injuring me (not too badly but enough I still feel it a few months later) and denying it. We’ll be taking this one to court I expect, me and the solicitors, for personal injury and lying through their dirty teeth about it. Bitch nearly reversed into a bus after it happened as well, a nice little side note to help along the case.

Anyway. That’s the skinny on it.

The good news is, finally, after claiming on my own insurance because of all this (the difference to be claimed back later) I got a cleaner, better condition, fully upgraded version of the same. New chain and sprocket set, race double bubble screen, OEM heated grips, Michelin Pilot Road 3 tyre set which grip the road like no-ones business even when it's wet etc. One previous owner who babied it. The fastest bike I can comfortably afford that won't kill me. Probably the last one I get before leasing a car I would think. Cuts through traffic like a fresh out of the dishwasher steak knife through butter.

Having had a week to adjust after being on a courtesy bike for 2 months (a lovely but underpowered XJ-6S) it's got a heavier clutch, better brakes and a much, much higher fun factor. It's like what I had before but better... the technician listened and got the suspension balance just right. Plenty enough power at the right wrist. I find I keep the mirrors folded in much of the time so I can slice through traffic with some high speed filtering more effectively. As the British roads get more clogged with what we call sh!tboxes (underpowered slow driven vehicles like the VW Up!, Suzuki Swift, anything by Kia) and ever-decreasing road quality with a slew of torn up tarmac, this bike proves it's worth every penny. 15K on the clock with plenty of scope for more this summer.

Have some pics...

PHOTO_20160227_105123_zpslgidbmzw.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_104923_zpsdoqtnzm5.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_105000_zpshwqbwxj5.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_104945_zpserhpxexv.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_105031_zpszbunh4kb.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_104851_zpsbgu9madu.jpg

PHOTO_20160227_104938_zpssy7rlzse.jpg

When even the daily commute can be fun, you know you've got a good one. While the rest queue in traffic I slip by and disappear into the distance...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks new!

Just have to loose the stock exhaust!

I like the frame / engine protectors too. Nice and neat, tucked in.

Best color and year BTW!!!

Question, on the left, just outside the control assembly (before the grip), there's a switch of some sort, looks to be variable. \
Is that for heated grips or ??? Never saw that before on an FZ6

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike! I'm glad you're riding again after your unexpected off. Keep the rubber side down.

BTW- nice company you keep there. Several nice Yamaha's. :rockon:

Reaction score
Visit site
Just have to loose the stock exhaust!

I considered it, way too expensive though considering everything else that's been done to it.

I like the frame / engine protectors too. Nice and neat, tucked in.

Yeah me too, shame we had to lose the matching colour belly pan to fit them but you can't have it all ;-)

Best color and year BTW!!!

I would tend to agree, it was a toss up between this and an 05 Fazer in black. This won easily.

Question, on the left, just outside the control assembly (before the grip), there's a switch of some sort, looks to be variable. \
Is that for heated grips or ??? Never saw that before on an FZ6

Yes it is for heated grips, this is the correct Yamaha OEM one fitted. I was going to go with an Oxford set but I was talked out of it, the official one wasn't much more in terms of cost anyway. It has three heat settings, I just use it on maximum setting the whole time.