michelin pilot power or dunlop qualifier

kpolykarpou

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys

i am also on the search of new tyres.

my oe tyres dunlop 252 lasted for 10000 km

i am between power and qualifier , which i can find in almost the same price

anyone that tried them for any opinion please?
:thumbup:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler Z8 Interact. In a prestigious international tyre test, the Metzeler Z8 Interact was voted the BEST tyre of all competition, had better performance in the dry, and MUCH better performance in the wet/extreme wet.

Unlike the Michelin product, whereby they take two differing compounds and join them together, creating a fault line and area of potential weakness (do a search, the Michelins have been known to delaminate and explosively decompress), the Metzeler is made by scientifically hardening the middle of the tyre, to give excellent mileage, but not at the detriment of performance. (as evidenced in said independent international tyre test.)

Then you get on to the reports that Michelin avoided any sort of discussion about the propensity for the PR3s to delaminate, and send a big shot lawyer to the court case, to essentially hush it up - and that kind of corporate dishonesty makes ME personally, not wish to deal with them.

Cheers,
Rick

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
No complaints at all about my Pilot 3s. They stick great to the pavement. And thanks to the new tread design, riding in total downpours was a piece of cake. No sliding or slipping at all. Highly reccomended.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Michelin PR2's and will replace them with another set when they wear out. They are designed for both long mileage and sport. I don't know how the Metzler holds up in either area, how your going to ride the bike(lots of sport riding, LD riding, etc) should make the difference in your choice..

BTW, the Michelin tire failures mentioned above were for PR3's ONLY (not all of them as mentioned above)and were produced in France. Do a search, there is a thread here on this forum..

And BTW, Michelin hasn't denied the problem : http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/23/michelin-pilot-power-motorcycle-tire-recall/ . The particular tires, size wise, affects the front tire only, the rear is a different size than any tires affected...

To my knowledge there was only a few (one's too many) however IMHO, I wouldn't discount Michelins by any means...

Do a search, their are many tire threads (no pun intended)..

mave2911, do you have a link for that tire test?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys

i am also on the search of new tyres.

my oe tyres dunlop 252 lasted for 10000 km

i am between power and qualifier , which i can find in almost the same price

anyone that tried them for any opinion please?
:thumbup:

if you are looking for a hyper sport tire the Q2's are top notch especially for the price

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Michelin PR2's and will replace them with another set when they wear out. They are designed for both long mileage and sport. I don't know how the Metzler holds up in either area, how your going to ride the bike(lots of sport riding, LD riding, etc) should make the difference in your choice..

BTW, the Michelin tire failures mentioned above were for PR3's ONLY (not all of them as mentioned above)and were produced in France. Do a search, there is a thread here on this forum..

mave2911, do you have a link for that tire test?

Just looking now, however you'll be interested to know that at least one of these failures was with a tyre made in Thailand.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Found one - link is for the manufacturers site, but there are reviews and links down the bottom. I'll keep trying to find the other one.....

EDIT2: Another one: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4VkYGBOv8&feature=player_embedded"]Tyre Comparison Test[/ame]

EDIT3: Results from above test in quantifiable format.

EDIT4: Another one

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looking now, however you'll be interested to know that at least one of these failures was with a tyre made in Thailand.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Found one - link is for the manufacturers site, but there are reviews and links down the bottom. I'll keep trying to find the other one.....

EDIT2: Another one: Tyre Comparison Test

considering the OP has the pilot power and Q2 in his original post i think he is looking for a HS tire not a ST

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT2: Another one: Tyre Comparison Test

The video is pretty good and clearly shows the Metzler #1, the Michelin's #2. The other 2 links are from Metzler selling the tire. The other article, is that the: "prestigious international tyre test" ?

BTW, I looked and couldn't find anything other than France producing the faulty tires...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The video is pretty good and clearly shows the Metzler #1, the Michelin's #2. The other 2 links are from Metzler selling the tire. The other article, is that the: "prestigious international tyre test" ?

BTW, I looked and couldn't find anything other than France producing the faulty tires...

The other two links are on the Metzeler site, but not from Metzeler themselves.

I haven't had a chance to look for the test write-up yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

In a previous thread in which I participated, the owner of one of the failed tyres advised his was made in Thailand.

Feel free to use the search button!

If you like the Michelins, more power to you - after several reported catastrophic failures and Michelins apparent unwilliingness to even entertain the concept of recompense, or compensation (or even that there was a problem at all) I am unwilling to place my life in danger by using a product with a potentially devastating, documented, design flaw.

Cheers,
Rick

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
I live in the desert and totally stand by the PR2. It's never failed me and lasts longer than other tires I've used in the past on other bikes. I just put my first set on the FZ. It had POS "B rubber" Conti's on it when I bought it. I'm guessing I'll get at least 10,000 out of these. My buddy just got 14,000 out of a pair on his r1 and replaced with the same. In Phoenix, AZ, that's a lot of miles for a tire. Between the sun, the road and the lack of humidity here, tires get eaten up quick.

And Oooooohhhhhh what a difference a good set of tires make! It not only improved my handling 10 fold, but gave me about another 10 miles per tank full too! :rockon:
:BLAA:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The other two links are on the Metzeler site, but not from Metzeler themselves.

I haven't had a chance to look for the test write-up yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

In a previous thread in which I participated, the owner of one of the failed tyres advised his was made in Thailand.

Feel free to use the search button!

If you like the Michelins, more power to you - after several reported catastrophic failures and Michelins apparent unwilliingness to even entertain the concept of recompense, or compensation (or even that there was a problem at all) I am unwilling to place my life in danger by using a product with a potentially devastating, documented, design flaw.

Cheers,
Rick

If it was posted on a single thread on a forum, it'd be difficult to find, and yes, I know where the search button is (and have numerous links for common problems, especially for the FZ). And thanks for reminding me about the search button :D.

Michelin has acknowledged the problem, did you click on the link from POST #4??:
Michelin Pilot Power Motorcycle Tire Recall

And as you can tell, I do like the Michelins, no, I take that back, I love the Michelins.. Longest lasting tire I've owned, especially after maintaining an 145HP FJR, a heavy Goldwing, etc... And yes, I'll take my chances with my PR2's in a New York minute...

As for gambling, guess I am a gambler. I ride a MC that has had re-calls thru the years as has most vehicles... A faulty TPS in certain FZ6 models (my FJR included) may causing stalling and of course a crash. Guess I should get rid of everything as nothings perfect..

I'm done, the OP can make his own decision as can everyone else. I have my opinion as do you... :)

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll note that recall is for the Pilot Power tyres, it says nothing about the Pilot Road 3 tyres, so my statement still stands - Michelin have completely ignored the potential for catastrophic failure of the PR3 tyres. (I also said nothing about the PR2s, which I noted you were careful to specify you liked....)

More interesting to note, is the problems with the Pilot Power tyres, that necessitated the recall are the same as those experienced by some with the PR3s:

"the tires in question may exhibit an abnormal deformation in the tread, which may be accompanied by small localized sections of tread separation or loss.

In addition, the recalled tires could experience a slight to excessive vibration and create an unstable riding condition, the company said.
"

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there may be confusion over which tire was recalled. Although there was a Michelin recall I don't know if it was in fact the PR3. The PR3 was in highly publicized on our forum and we really have never heard anything further that I know of. Those posts ended up being linked on many other forums. There were 2 PR3 incidents that I've heard of and then we heard nothing. Of course that would be a tactical play from just about any corporate ninjas that are trying to save investors in today's 3 ring circus.

I think that without hard evidence, It's hard to say what really happened with the PR3's and that would be in Michelin's best interest. What we are left with are feelings that Michelin did not do the honorable thing and quell what to us must be an admission of a faulty product. I don't think Michelin would risk a total collapse by allowing any faulty product to continue, hence hurting all product sales and investors. I believe they've discovered the problem and quietly pulled the faulty product from the market.

Speaking to the OP. If you're looking for a great sport touring tire, add Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 to your list.

If you're looking for a stickier tire (less mileage) Bridgestone BT-016 Pro or it's newer replacement S-20.

There are many good tires out there and depending on your riding style/needs I'm sure you'll find a great one.

As far as tire failure in concerned, I think you'll see more failure from lack of tire care or skills before you see tire tread failure. :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just replaced the OEM Bridgestones with Pilot Power (single compound) and I LOVE them. I didn't do any testing but the PPs are grippy and very predictable.

kpolykarpou

Reaction score
Visit site
actually, i m kind of confused.

i have the option and economic for these two tyres, as i found them in good price i think

i am thinking mostly of michelin.

i want them to last as long as possible. my riding is mostly higway about 100km per day

i need a sport touring tyre , right, like the ones i mentioned?

thanks

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
actually, i m kind of confused.

i have the option and economic for these two tyres, as i found them in good price i think

i am thinking mostly of michelin.

i want them to last as long as possible. my riding is mostly higway about 100km per day

i need a sport touring tyre , right, like the ones i mentioned?

thanks

If your looking for mileage then the tires you mentioned are far from it those are considered hyper sport tires

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there may be confusion over which tire was recalled. Although there was a Michelin recall I don't know if it was in fact the PR3

As per the link posted above, it apparently was a recall for the Pilot Power tyres. To my knowledge, there has been no reaction from Michelin at all concerning the PR3s.

Most likely you're right, they identified the same issues as the problems with the Pilot Powers (symptoms too similar to be coincidence) and quietly modified the process.

Cheers,
Rick

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site