*Minor Gore* Ankle protection? (Not boots)

detpilot

Reaction score
Visit site
So falling today and cutting my ankle has made me think. I firmly believe in AGATT, I'm not falling with my expensie gear sitting at home to not protect me. However, I am a professional pilot, and have to wear appropriate shoes to manipulate the controls properly.

Since I plan on riding to work, with only a backpack, i dont think i can fit my size 14s in the bag to change when i get to work. Plus, i can't afford boots right now.

I always wear a helmet, gloves, leg armor, and a padded leather acket, but the fall today showd me that my ankles are vulnerable.

Is there a product like padded socks or somehing that can be worn with regular shoes to protect my ankles?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ankle protection? (Not boots)

Not that i know of, The main purpose of boots is to keep the foot attached to the leg.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Answer: NO - find a way to get some boots and find a way to strap your work shoes to your bike. You'll need to spend the $$$ on boots eventually anyway.

Edited thread title to include warning...

here's my contribution:
2556871527_d6aa935a9e_o.jpg

2556925469_6c9643178e_o.jpg

2557694520_33f222f5cc_o.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Answer: NO - find a way to get some boots and find a way to strap your work shoes to your bike. You'll need to spend the $$$ on boots eventually anyway.

Edited thread title to include warning...

Yikes, another good illustration to prove the AGATT philosophy.

W

wrightme43

Nate your leg is like the best boot sales tool ever man.
Every time I put my Sidi boots on, with the ground away ankle and toe slider on the right foot, I think of how glad I am to of bought them.

When our bikes collided, the only thing on me that got hit was the achiles tendon armor. I can still remember the whack, and how glad I was to have good boots on. No damage either time due to gear doing its job.

Keep boots at work man in a locker, or put them under a bungie net and tote them back and forth, but you gots to have good gear. Imagine not being able to fly again because your foot is destroyed. If good boots can prevent it, they are are worth it.

On that note, Dammit I want to get my pilots lic. That has been one of my goals for just way to long now.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
When our bikes collided, the only thing on me that got hit was the achiles tendon armor. I can still remember the whack, and how glad I was to have good boots on. No damage either time due to gear doing its job.

You just stood there straddling your bike, like, "what?" :eek:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya gotta get boots. When I was communting I just put my office shoes in my backpack.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate, can you refresh our memory and tell us what you were wearing for foot gear when that happened?

Thanks for the refresh on this topic...

I am ATGATT. I keep a pair of dockers/boat shoes at work rather than carry them daily. I also keep a spare pair of sneakers there for daily walks.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Boots FTW! I keep a pair of sandals at work for office stuff and a pair of shoes for when I'm in the warehouse. I wouldn't even consider riding without my Sidi's.

A cheap solution might be to put your work boots/shoes in a small duffel and strap it behind you on the seat.

W

wrightme43

You just stood there straddling your bike, like, "what?" :eek:

Dude that has turned out to be a awesome story. When I tell people about your two up stoppie, with a givi topcase, and how the gas tank cut the tire, and the bikes stuck together in the road, most people are like no way. Then others are like DAMN that dude is good. I think you did awesome man. That situation could of turned out real bad for all 5 of us. Stupid cagers.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude that has turned out to be a awesome story. When I tell people about your two up stoppie, with a givi topcase, and how the gas tank cut the tire, and the bikes stuck together in the road, most people are like no way. Then others are like DAMN that dude is good. I think you did awesome man. That situation could of turned out real bad for all 5 of us. Stupid cagers.

:eek: what are you guys talking about. I want to hear more.

tum226

Reaction score
www.rollahome.com
well i have been considering boots for some time now and have never wanted to spend the money. well with your persuasive pictures guess what i am going to do today. BUY A PAIR OF BOOTS!!! i have all the other gear just not boots.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Not that i know of, The main purpose of boots is to keep the foot attached to the leg.
Last year when I was at work, this fella came in (drunk) he was walking on the end of his tibia (the bit you see in the picture). He didn't feel a thing.
It was proper sick.......................
He slipped down a step (apparently).

Nelly