Modifying stock seat foam to help short rider - success!

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a quick success story with you...

Ever since my girlfriend got her new Fazer, she's struggled with the seat height. She's a 30" inside leg (or inseam to our colonial cousins) and with the bike having a 31.5" seat height it's caused her to drop it a couple of times when stopped.

We looked at various methods of lowering the bike, however one thing we didn't want to do was upset the handling so that ruled out a shorter shock or altering the forks.

I knew of an automotive upholsterer local to me who does all sorts of vehicle interiors, so I took the saddle to him to see what could be done to resculpt it to lower the overall height, and more importantly allow her legs to move closer together when stationary so that she could get them closer into the bike. He agreed it could be done, so one day and just £15 later we picked up the seat today.

Initally, I was dissapointed - it just doesn't look any different to stock at all, not like some of the resculpted seats I've seen on other threads, but he assured me it would be very different to sit on as he'd made quite a few alterations to the density of the foam to ensure as well as being lower, it would also still be comfortable.

Well the proof is in the riding, so as soon as we got it home we mounted it on the bike and Beccy took it out for a ride.

As soon as she sat on it, she immediately felt it was a massive improvement on stock as now instead of both feet being on tiptoes she can place the balls of both feet on the floor, and moving the bike around by foot is now much easier. She also felt her legs were a lot closer to the bike and able to rest on the floor at a more comfortable angle, and she also felt more able to grip the tank with her knees.

After a half-hour ride she came back grinning, saying the bike felt much more stable when stopped, and that the safety position wasn't putting such a strain on her left calf now that she can almost flat-foot on that side, and also that stopping on a cambered road or rough ground was much better now that she could get both feet securely on the floor.

I can therefore highly recommend that if you do want to have a lower riding position but don't want to shell out hundreds on an aftermarket seat or alter the suspension on your Fazer, get out the yellow pages and find a local vehicle upholsterer and have a chat with them.

This has to count as one of the best value modifications ever made!

Seeing as :needpics:...

BEFORE:
DSCF2507.jpg

AFTER:
DSCF2509.jpg

I know it's very difficult to see a difference, but even if the eye can't see it the butt can feel it!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a very nice piece of work.
Where are you in the UK mate? Sorry I should have said where is this guy based?

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am really pleased you have posted this.

I have the Yamaha lowered seat which I cannot praise highly enough. as soon as I put it on the bike and rode it made the bike feel as though it belonged to me and I had not just borrowed it. I was also on tiptoes before I put the lowered seat on. Yamaha says it is 3cm lower but like you say you can get your legs closer together because the sides of the seat are also rounded. It sounds like your man did this to your girlfriends seat.

My seat was considerably more than your alterations but I am certainly not complaining.

Maybe you should post the details of your upholsterer in case anyone wants to contact him.

I have found if you can get in touch with upholsterers or guys who make horse saddles they can also sort your seat out.

I always say that this is the best way to start lowering your bike...thanks for confirming it.

Steve

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm in Walsall in the West Midlands, up a bit from Brum and down a bit from Stoke.

The guy who did my work is Dave Haden, his business is Dave Haden Upholstery in Walsall Wood, and his number is 01543 375437

MCFC21

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one Jedi, Same problem myself , 30 inch inside leg and had a drop early on , thank god for mushroom protectors. On my tippytoes most of the time , I hate slopes!!!

Would your man ship a seat to Ireland ?

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Possibly, you'd have to call him to find out.

A cheaper solution would be find a local company who can do it for you, I'm all for supporting local businesses so I'd hate to take any business away from a local craftsman near to you who could do the job just as well, with no shipping costs.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that dude. I'm planning on doing that myself soon when I have the time (and the guts). Since I got the bike I planned to cut down the seat and if I screw it up I can always buy the lowered seat! I'm gonna cut the height off at the rear of the front seat and reduce the width further forward. I'll put up details when I get around to it.

This site rocks for custom seat work: DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Whenever I go for a jaunt on my older bike (GPZ500s) I can't believe how much lower it is and how easier to paddle around. With a lower seat the bars will be slightly closer to my shoulders too (at the moment I have to lean forwards a bit).

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Well done! I can see the difference by looking at that contrast trim that wraps around the sides and up over the rear of the driver part of the seat. Very noticeably lower toward the front. Good deal!

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am really pleased you have posted this.

I have the Yamaha lowered seat which I cannot praise highly enough. as soon as I put it on the bike and rode it made the bike feel as though it belonged to me and I had not just borrowed it. I was also on tiptoes before I put the lowered seat on. Yamaha says it is 3cm lower but like you say you can get your legs closer together because the sides of the seat are also rounded. It sounds like your man did this to your girlfriends seat.

My seat was considerably more than your alterations but I am certainly not complaining.

Maybe you should post the details of your upholsterer in case anyone wants to contact him.

I have found if you can get in touch with upholsterers or guys who make horse saddles they can also sort your seat out.

I always say that this is the best way to start lowering your bike...thanks for confirming it.

Steve

Yamaha makes a lowered seat?