Motorcycle Plate Blocking

Has anyone ever tried to block their plates before?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%

• Total voters

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Here in Atlanta we have what used to be HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes where you had to have at least 2 people in the car to ride in them. They have since changed these to toll lanes where you have to have a special transponder on your car or you'll get a ticket. Cool thing is these lanes are free for motorcycles :) You still have to get the transponder, but there is no charge for it and you don't even have to attach it to the bike. They only ask that you have it in case you get pulled over.

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Atlanta we have what used to be HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes where you had to have at least 2 people in the car to ride in them. They have since changed these to toll lanes where you have to have a special transponder on your car or you'll get a ticket. Cool thing is these lanes are free for motorcycles :) You still have to get the transponder, but there is no charge for it and you don't even have to attach it to the bike. They only ask that you have it in case you get pulled over.

We still got a few of those HOV here in Dallas as well. The only rule is that for a passenger car you need 2 people including the driver to be in the vehicle but its open to all motorcycles however as time goes on these HOV lanes are starting to disappear and or get shorter. *635 between 35 and 75* people who live in Dallas should understand that.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just imagining trying to reach round and cover my numberplate while riding through a toll gate and I think that would be a recipe for a crash, I don't think I could reach it and still be on the throttle.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a guy who screwed a thin piece of metal to his plate between the numbers and letters,from straight behind you couldn't see it , but from the side it would block half the plate.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Were all law abiding citizens mate LMAO.....
They have the laser guided devices on the roads here. I would be interested in a deterrent to these.
Neil

Where I live, there's two bridges...

To leave my city is free.

To come back is $1.00 for a bike, $2.00 for a car.

To make things worse, the city only gets a small portion of it, the county gets the rest. I believe both bridges are already paid for so its "extra" money for the county/city...

I got a ticket thru the mail for the bike about two years ago(I didn't run the toll) and complained about it and spoke to a supervisor. She looked it up, there were NO violations in that time frame and I was in the attended lane to boot!!! She had a picture of me stopped, with both feet down speaking with the attendant.. I guess someone pocketed the $1.00 and it wasn't me...

Heck if I'm going to run it, it'd be in the non attended lane... She squashd the ticket over the phone.

Now, I get a RECEIPT EVERY TIME I GO THRU...

How many people just pay the ticket when they get one in the mail??

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where I live, there's two bridges...

To leave my city is free.

To come back is $1.00 for a bike, $2.00 for a car.

To make things worse, the city only gets a small portion of it, the county gets the rest. I believe both bridges are already paid for so its "extra" money for the county/city...

I got a ticket thru the mail for the bike about two years ago(I didn't run the toll) and complained about it and spoke to a supervisor. She looked it up, there were NO violations in that time frame and I was in the attended lane to boot!!! She had a picture of me stopped, with both feet down speaking with the attendant.. I guess someone pocketed the $1.00 and it wasn't me...

Heck if I'm going to run it, it'd be in the non attended lane... She squashd the ticket over the phone.

Now, I get a RECEIPT EVERY TIME I GO THRU...

How many people just pay the ticket when they get one in the mail??
Problem is if everyone waited for the mailed ticket, toll costs would increase to cover the extra cost.
I think a flip up plate is the only decent way to go.

Neil

typezstg

Reaction score
Visit site
In Illinois, we have what's called a "vtoll" (aka video toll). As long as your plate is registered to your transponder's account, then they will just deduct the toll from your account if you get your photo taken from the tollway.

So if you happen to "forget" to bring your transponder, you can just go through the toll and they will debit your account with no extra fees slapped on top. However, the way the photo is taken is they have the same style induction loops embedded in the roadway like the kind they use for protected left turns at stoplights. Bikes have been known to not trip those sensors sometimes. Or, since the sensors don't take up the full lane, some have been known to just ride on the edge of the lane past where the sensors can detect. :rolleyes:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In Illinois, we have what's called a "vtoll" (aka video toll). As long as your plate is registered to your transponder's account, then they will just deduct the toll from your account if you get your photo taken from the tollway.

So if you happen to "forget" to bring your transponder, you can just go through the toll and they will debit your account with no extra fees slapped on top. However, the way the photo is taken is they have the same style induction loops embedded in the roadway like the kind they use for protected left turns at stoplights. Bikes have been known to not trip those sensors sometimes. Or, since the sensors don't take up the full lane, some have been known to just ride on the edge of the lane past where the sensors can detect. :rolleyes:

"Or, since the sensors don't take up the full lane, some have been known to just ride on the edge of the lane past where the sensors can detect."

That is brilliant and so simple!!! Just don't tag the curb..

RCPMg33k

Squid
Reaction score
www.azpeacemakers.com
No toll roads in AZ, but just this weekend a buddy of mine from Chicago was telling me how he used to use a magnetic plate flipper to get past tolls in Chitown. Apparently the tolls are the same for bikes as they are for 2 axle vehicles. Now thats just BS there.

I'm sure AZ will start tolls soon. The municipalities sure are hurtin enough for the cash! We'll see though.

We still have HOV lanes too. 2 or more people and motorcycles only Monday through Friday from 6AM-9AM and 3PM-7PM. All other times its a free for all. Ugly ticket if you get caught being the only person in a 2 axle vehicle during rush hour though! :spank:

typezstg

Reaction score
Visit site
No toll roads in AZ, but just this weekend a buddy of mine from Chicago was telling me how he used to use a magnetic plate flipper to get past tolls in Chitown. Apparently the tolls are the same for bikes as they are for 2 axle vehicles. Now thats just BS there.

I'm sure AZ will start tolls soon. The municipalities sure are hurtin enough for the cash! We'll see though.

We still have HOV lanes too. 2 or more people and motorcycles only Monday through Friday from 6AM-9AM and 3PM-7PM. All other times its a free for all. Ugly ticket if you get caught being the only person in a 2 axle vehicle during rush hour though! :spank:

It's true...bikes cost the same as cars because they both fall under the category of "2 axles", which is complete BS. We weigh 1/6 as much and have 2 less tires.

It's $1.90 each way for my 25-mile commute for a total of $3.80 for 50 miles (and it's $3.80 each way if you don't have a transponder!! Talk about sticking it to the out-of-towners...)

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the "switch plate" is the way to go, if this is a big issue.
FlipAplate.com License Plate Flippers

That or the paparazzi "anti photo" plate would work too, but only for the systems that use flashes..kind of neat..it detects the flash and super flashes your plate, so that the picure of your plate becomes super saturated with light and ends up just a big white blob..

Anti Paparazzi System from Applied Physics

Neither are cheap though..

I've also seen the folded metal type that block one letter of the plate, from a specific angle..but not from strait on.

We don't have any toll roads here, but there are plenty of photo radar vans and speed on green, stop ect. all use flashes..

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've wondered about those kind of plate covers. I see them all over around here and some of them look old and nasty so you can't read the plate very well. I never knew if they were legal.

I know some people who just have their plate turned in such a way it's harder to see. One guy has used an excuse about waiting on a part for his plate mount for his missing plate.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I "used" to ride around on my FZ6 with a license plate plastic transparent cover. I only installed it because it was part of a LED (brake and running lights) license plate set-up and I thought, why not, it'll protect the license plate. Then, I learned that in itself is illegal and is a significant fine in CA. Well, after riding around like that for about 5 years, I finally removed the plastic plate cover. I'd hate to nailed for such a violation.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a stupid law in Texas where you have to have a front license plate, I hate it so much! It ruins the lines of so many cars with that bulky default mount. On my previous car, I used a plate flipper on the front license plate. It mounts underneath the front bumper and flips the license plate underneath the bumper, so when it's flipped you literally cannot tell there is anything there unless you look underneath the car.

Something like that would be easy enough to install on a bike but I'm not sure if you'd have the clearance on the back of a bike. Plus it would be pretty obvious since there is nowhere for it to go under to be concealed.