My bike is being featured in a magazine!

viviifz6

Winter...
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm, there is a shelf in my shed, that is literally bursting with cleaning products....

For the paint Work....Meguires Ultimate compound...for taking out polishing swirls, etc, Meguires's paint cleaner...great for area's that take a pounding from road grime.

Meguire's Scratch X ....it does get rid of nasty little scratches.

Maguire's PlastX... it does get rid of swirls and scratches in plastic.

Meguire's Polish....

Maguire's Carnauba Wax

Maguire's Tech4 Wax.....wet look!

I only use Microfibre clothes on paint work....and only new clothes at that....one, just one piece of dirt, metal filing, etc, caught in a microfibre cloth can cause serious scratching in perfectly well kept paintwork....

One cloth to apply, one cloth to remove, one cloth to finish.

Well that's the paint side of thing's....

As for the metal polishing side of thing's, it's get's more involved....

A power Drill with polishing disc's attached!.....you can buy such from a hardware shop! You need at least 3 kinds, one to strip, or remove paint & deep scratches..one to remove fine scratches, and stains....and one (cloth) to fine polish....

polishing disc's normally come with their own block's of polishing wax....use as recommended!

A Bench Grinder, with similar, but larger polishing disc's attached....once again to be used with polishing wax.

Some decent sandpaper, from 180 through to 1200 grade....for the removal of surface rust, etc....in hard to get at spots, like around the disc carrier bolts on your brake disc's....

A decent mag & aluminium polish...i have Autosol, Mothers Mag & Wheel polish, Mothers Powermetal, Blue Job, and Eagle One cotton wadding.....

A truckload of cleaning clothes....we used about 40 of the things to clean my clean bike....Microgibre is good, but old towels are best....a bit coarser, and hence, better at getting into the surface of the metal being polished...

With the Bench Grinder....be careful, be methodical....

Without writing an essay....that's how we polish metal....you will be surprised at how good a result you can get at home in the shed....

Other products that you will need, are numerous!

Mothers Naturally black for rubber, non shiny plastic area's, leather, vinyl, etc...

Eagle one Nano Protectant...same job., but with less residue....

Wd40, Inox.....for removing grease, and road grime...

Degreaser...a decent quality one.....

A parts washer.....cant beat these suckers for the nasty cleaning jobs!

I could go on for days....detailing is a bit of an artform i reckon...trial & error, till you get things right....

Is bloody hard work! But the results ALWAYS make it worth it!

But most importantly, patience, and lots and lots of elbow grease!

I finally got time to really get into this and was wondering if you do the plastic painted pieces, like the front fairings that have stickers the same way that you do the tank
Thanks
Aaron

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Very excited for you Jamie!! I hope you get some sleep tonight, and don't forget to bring your camera!! We are looking forward to photos of your photo shoot! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got time to really get into this and was wondering if you do the plastic painted pieces, like the front fairings that have stickers the same way that you do the tank
Thanks
Aaron

Yep, i clean, poilsh & wax gloss painted plastic the same way as gloss painted metal....for the scratches, i use it PlastX, as opposed to Scratch X, but other than that i polish with the same polish, and wax with the same wax...best way to remove scratches, lots of light applications of scratch remover, with mot too much pressure on cloth. Circular application with soft clothes is the only way to fly too!

So, since you bike will be in the photoshoot, do you have to keep her from eating anything other than M&M's tomorrow? :BLAA:

Lol! I did take the rego disc off the bike, and removed the rear "fender", so i guess a little bit more fat has been trimmed off...it was more likely a case of getting a clean, felt lined bike cover over the bike within moments of me finishing the detailing...could not possibly let ANY dust get on the bike...bit like a model, once make up is finished, you just get em to sit there till the shot is taken, not touching anything, not moving, etc, etc. :D

Very excited for you Jamie!! I hope you get some sleep tonight, and don't forget to bring your camera!! We are looking forward to photos of your photo shoot! :D

Well the photographer turned up this morning, cased out the space in my backyard, checked out the light, checked out my bike, had a good chat with me, then said he will be back at 9.30am tomorrow with a white backdrop, etc, to do the shoot.

He did tell me that the editor of the mag was a bit excited about the bike, when he rang him about shooting the bike... :D

This is a good thing...hopefully it will get a decent feature in the bike mag...it certainly has an interesting story behind it's 4.5 year life, and 50000km's, so there is plenty to write about!

Still cant quite believe it's happening though...It's like one of my kids has done something really cool, and i am a proud dad! :eek:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing your photos of the photographer and then buying Rapid when it comes out. Any idea yet which month it will be in?

I am lucky enough to have seen Damien in the flesh :rockon: and, yes everyone, the big D looks scary in real life too :eek:

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one mate - although i will be honest. i am not at all surprised.
you beast is immaculate and top shelf unique.

Congrats - just make sure you let us know which issue its in.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing your photos of the photographer and then buying Rapid when it comes out. Any idea yet which month it will be in?

I am lucky enough to have seen Damien in the flesh :rockon: and, yes everyone, the big D looks scary in real life too :eek:

I have no idea when the bike will appear, all i know at this point, is that the photo's are being aken, and the photograher isa bike Journo as well, so i guess he will have some input into how the bike gets represented in the mag, with more than just the photo's...in that case, i better make sure i start it forhim tomorrow!!! baffles out! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, the shoot is done! Didnt take long....just over an hour. Very simple set up, lots of close up shots of the bike.

The guy who took the photo's is a journo with Heavy Duty Mag, and judges a few bike shows, and he told me i should enter it in a bike show or two, he thinks that with the attention to detail present, it could do well. He also said that he will put the photo's in with a recommendation that it is worth featuring soon!

Here are a couple of "spy" shots from the photo shoot...the white cloth is only so they can pull the bike out the photo easily for use in the magazine.

View attachment 35761

View attachment 35762

Now i just gotta wait patiently for what happens next....

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done mate :thumbup: Now are they fingerprints I can see on the tank ?? :eyebrow: :ban:

Dont get any onya :BLAA:

Lol! Not likely! In fact, after i got the compressor out this morning...i dont reckon there was a single speck of dust on the thing...

Definitely the shiniest it has ever been!

:rockon:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is so spectacular that they haven't invented a word for how awesome it is yet. Now how to explain to my family I am converting religions to that of worshipping wolfman.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike is so spectacular that they haven't invented a word for how awesome it is yet. Now how to explain to my family I am converting religions to that of worshipping wolfman.

Lol! It is a nice bike! If your worshipping...does that mean you are going to throw money at me....a little bit would'nt go astray right now...got my eyes on another bike! an FZ750 restoration project....very rare bikes these days, and a half decent one is for sale round my parts....at a decent price.... :spank:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! It is a nice bike! If your worshipping...does that mean you are going to throw money at me....a little bit would'nt go astray right now...got my eyes on another bike! an FZ750 restoration project....very rare bikes these days, and a half decent one is for sale round my parts....at a decent price.... :spank:

Buy, buy, buy. NOW

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hurry up and sell the other FZ6 and you can buy it!

BTW, how is that going, any bites on the bike yet?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hurry up and sell the other FZ6 and you can buy it!

BTW, how is that going, any bites on the bike yet?

My thoughts exactly! By have only had one bite...and that was not that serious...no matter, I can be patient.

If you want these things enough, they normally end up coming your way eventually!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, the shoot is done! Didnt take long....just over an hour. Very simple set up, lots of close up shots of the bike.

The guy who took the photo's is a journo with Heavy Duty Mag, and judges a few bike shows, and he told me i should enter it in a bike show or two, he thinks that with the attention to detail present, it could do well. He also said that he will put the photo's in with a recommendation that it is worth featuring soon!

Here are a couple of "spy" shots from the photo shoot...the white cloth is only so they can pull the bike out the photo easily for use in the magazine.

View attachment 35761

View attachment 35762

Now i just gotta wait patiently for what happens next....

:thumbup:
Well done Mate,

Now get it back inside before it rains lol.

Nelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Mate,

Now get it back inside before it rains lol.

Nelly

I wanted to ride it to work tonight, but the last time I did that I got myself a drunkwalker for my troubles!!!!

Was painful putting the fake rear fender back on after....

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
im very happy for you jamie.. you and the bike deserved it after all the time and money you put on it to make it the bike of your dreams or at least nearly there...

i would like a copy of the mag as well pleeeaaasse.

and get that fz750 or at least put a deposit on it then collect it when you have more dosh. im sure the dealer wouldnt object

congrats once again

oh and from now on im buying maguires to do my polishing!