My bike is being featured in a magazine!

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This will undoubtably open the eyes of other publications to your first rate project! Like others have said, "It's about dam time!" Congrats, Jamie and Mikey!! :cheer::cheer:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never quite realised how long it takes to do a detail for a photoshoot, nothing, and i mean nothing can go without being absloutely spotless....soooo much cleaning, polishing, etc....my head is spinning, the bike is popping....the coolest part is, the thing has 48000km's on it's clock's, and gets ridden all the time....i just cant get over how clean and "new" it looks....a testament to Yamaha build quality....keep it clean people, and it just does not detoriate....

Nice one Mr Yamaha for using quality components, and making my little job just that much easier...

:thumbup::thumbup:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought about you today. I was down town here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was stopped at a red. They were doing a photo shoot for something at the park I was next to. As I am sitting there I see the lady with the camera turn and snap a couple pics of me as I am sitting there on my baby and as The light turns green. See every body loves the FZ. However, I was thinking that I wish I had cleaned her up nice like you were doing. This brought me to my next Idea. You pay for the shipping, and I will come help you clean up/ play with the bike.:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought about you today. I was down town here in Grand Rapids, Michigan and was stopped at a red. They were doing a photo shoot for something at the park I was next to. As I am sitting there I see the lady with the camera turn and snap a couple pics of me as I am sitting there on my baby and as The light turns green. See every body loves the FZ. However, I was thinking that I wish I had cleaned her up nice like you were doing. This brought me to my next Idea. You pay for the shipping, and I will come help you clean up/ play with the bike.:thumbup:

Lol...that's a long way to come to get yourself covered in polishing dust! But the ride would be worth it, once you jumped on the beast!

:thumbup:

Mikey and i pretty much finished the detail last night...we took off the complete exhaust system, and gave the whole thing a real good clean & polish! We also cleaned the front of the motor, took the radiatar protector, and side cover's off, and cleaned them too....

The bike is back in one piece...again, and is now ready to get a new set of hoops, and go to the paint shop for final detailing....

View attachment 35365

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I may have missed it, but can you give any ideas as to what types of products(or actual products) you used to get it all nice and shiny?
Thanks

Hmmmm, there is a shelf in my shed, that is literally bursting with cleaning products....

For the paint Work....Meguires Ultimate compound...for taking out polishing swirls, etc, Meguires's paint cleaner...great for area's that take a pounding from road grime.

Meguire's Scratch X ....it does get rid of nasty little scratches.

Maguire's PlastX... it does get rid of swirls and scratches in plastic.

Meguire's Polish....

Maguire's Carnauba Wax

Maguire's Tech4 Wax.....wet look!

I only use Microfibre clothes on paint work....and only new clothes at that....one, just one piece of dirt, metal filing, etc, caught in a microfibre cloth can cause serious scratching in perfectly well kept paintwork....

One cloth to apply, one cloth to remove, one cloth to finish.

Well that's the paint side of thing's....

As for the metal polishing side of thing's, it's get's more involved....

A power Drill with polishing disc's attached!.....you can buy such from a hardware shop! You need at least 3 kinds, one to strip, or remove paint & deep scratches..one to remove fine scratches, and stains....and one (cloth) to fine polish....

polishing disc's normally come with their own block's of polishing wax....use as recommended!

A Bench Grinder, with similar, but larger polishing disc's attached....once again to be used with polishing wax.

Some decent sandpaper, from 180 through to 1200 grade....for the removal of surface rust, etc....in hard to get at spots, like around the disc carrier bolts on your brake disc's....

A decent mag & aluminium polish...i have Autosol, Mothers Mag & Wheel polish, Mothers Powermetal, Blue Job, and Eagle One cotton wadding.....

A truckload of cleaning clothes....we used about 40 of the things to clean my clean bike....Microgibre is good, but old towels are best....a bit coarser, and hence, better at getting into the surface of the metal being polished...

With the Bench Grinder....be careful, be methodical....

Without writing an essay....that's how we polish metal....you will be surprised at how good a result you can get at home in the shed....

Other products that you will need, are numerous!

Mothers Naturally black for rubber, non shiny plastic area's, leather, vinyl, etc...

Eagle one Nano Protectant...same job., but with less residue....

Wd40, Inox.....for removing grease, and road grime...

Degreaser...a decent quality one.....

A parts washer.....cant beat these suckers for the nasty cleaning jobs!

I could go on for days....detailing is a bit of an artform i reckon...trial & error, till you get things right....

Is bloody hard work! But the results ALWAYS make it worth it!

But most importantly, patience, and lots and lots of elbow grease!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you Wolfman, i can't think of a better example to be shown off than your baby!

peace

Yeah, I sorta feel like I am representing a specific group of FZ6 tinkerer's that we have quite a few of on here...the naked/streetfighter/custom FZ6 people...

I think that Wavex's now deceased FZ6 fighter was definitely a trail blazer for FZ6 fighters etc, I just have managed to go quite a bit further, as a few others about the place has done too.

But I reckon my lil black beast is about as clean as it gets...and in terms of riding. It's a special thing to punt through the twisties...especially as just recently. Mikey and me' have got a fair way to sorting out the handling...still not quite there, but close enough for now.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Top stuff Jamie :thumbup:

I look forward too seeing the FZ6 in the pages of Rapid.

I am glad your here....i have been looking for the business card from that guy you told me to go see at PI (World Supers), to see about the Dunlop d211 GP racer 'Take off's'....would love if you could PM me his details again! The bike needs "new" rubber, and those things are awesome!!

Hope your well, by the way....

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad your here....i have been looking for the business card from that guy you told me to go see at PI (World Supers), to see about the Dunlop d211 GP racer 'Take off's'....would love if you could PM me his details again! The bike needs "new" rubber, and those things are awesome!!

Hope your well, by the way....

PM sent :thumbup:

Very busy in the Dunno house. My wife had a little boy last week. He is super quiet & sleeps most of the time. Wish I could say the same about my daughter. she's a terror :D
Both bikes are in the shed for the time being.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Very busy in the Dunno house. My wife had a little boy last week. He is super quiet & sleeps most of the time. Wish I could say the same about my daughter. she's a terror :D

Congrats on the new addition to the Dunno Family! I have met your daughter, and your right, she has lots of "Spirit".....is a good thing, at least she wont go through life unnoticed!

:D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Congratulations to you and your wife Dunno. Got him on a bike yet?...lol.:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Congratulations Dunno! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the big day is almost here....Just got a phone call from a Photographer, the photoshoot is tomorrow! Yikes! talk about excited! I am beside myself!!!

Is gonna be long night in the shed, polishing, polishing, polishing!

:rockon:

:steve::wav::wav::wav::Flash::cool: