My cafe racer project CB550

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
So a coworker had been needing some money and had this to sell.

ad70b567-51b9-79ca.jpg

I had heard it run just three months ago so I know it wouldn't take much to get it going.

I bought it.

ad70b567-5208-4542.jpg

ad70b567-521d-b105.jpg

Now I am working out what exactly I want to do with this bike. I am a old school but modern-ish cafe racer lover and am definitely going to go that direction with it. Now, here is where you guys come in.

I am planning on using the passenger pegs to mount rearsets and do either clubman bars or clip ons. I want to either hammer some knee pockets into this tank or replace it with a cafe racer style tank. The seat and tail is very important too and I am pretty sure I have it picked out but want the opinions of the masses on that too. Also, what colors would be totally off the chain? I am thinking red frame and contrasting tins. Either black or flat black or maybe even white or cream.

I spent about four hours on it stripping everything down.

ad70b567-53b8-b099.jpg

ad70b567-53cc-2eff.jpg

ad70b567-541f-b067.jpg

ad70b567-543a-76a3.jpg

ad70b567-5449-9da1.jpg

ad70b567-5458-d433.jpg

And I have lots of stock goodies to find new homes for now.

ad70b567-546a-122e.jpg

So here is your chance to let your creative juices flow and have your amazing idea put into reality. I plan on building this bike and showing it off for a while then selling it. That is primarily why I want the opinion of the public. What is hip and cool now so I can maximize my investment.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS BUILD?

Thanks for the help and I will be updating this as the build goes along.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your list of ide'a already sound pretty decent...my opinion, just get moving on the project, and let it "tell you" what you should be doing...i like the rearsets idea....

:thumbup:

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
If you paint the frame red and use the black as a main color you could put some white stripes or small accents to it.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd get rid of as much chrome as possible....
stuff you can't I'd rough up and paint flat black...
or powder coat if you got the spare change...
great looking bike, looking for forward to seeing it done

funny...looks like a trials bike stripped like that

edit: just read the sell it part...would be more collectible dead nuts stock, but restored

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw this program on TV, Cafe Racer. I have to say The factory nakeds haven't really looked that great to me. When people make there own, the bike really picks-up character, and personality comes through.

The custom cafe racers are so hot! That CB will make a great piece of rideable art! :rockon:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Saw this program on TV, Cafe Racer. I have to say The factory nakeds haven't really looked that great to me. When people make there own, the bike really picks-up character, and personality comes through.

The custom cafe racers are so hot! That CB will make a great piece of rideable art! :rockon:

Exactly! This is exactly my thought.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
this reminds me of a project I'm gonna tackle one day,
when I have time, find an old Goldwing and toss the
touring crap, bob it and make a naked street rod....
something along the lines of this...

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
NIce bike man. Sadly, you'll not get back what you put into it. (If its your aim to make some cash) spend a few bucks on replacing whatever was not stock. If your looking to have a one-off custom thats all your own than let the dough fly.

There are a few exceptions to making old customs turn you some cash, prime example is the old XS 650 which can be cut/chopped and turned for a nice profit. Harley wanna be's who don't have the cash or patience to create one themselves.

In no way am I discouraging you from trying, have at it, they're alot of fun. My experience with restos is that people like to do it themselves the way they want it, and arent willing to pay what you've invested in it as its still an "old" bike. That mentality is hard to over come.

Good luck and **** the naysayers!

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to make a cool $300 off of my XS400 which I rode for 2 seasons.

Total investment: 900
Sale price 3/12/11: 1200

CB550K's are worth double that (if tuned properly) in the condition you picked it up in Dirk.

No means to say you will earn 5K from the sale, but who knows what the buyer will look for right? :D

For design, I would paint it Freddie Spencer livery:
freddie+19+two+bros+rc30+road+am+turn+14+1992.jpg

But obviously without fairings but predominantly white

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Modern, USD forks. Monoshock swingarm. No battery. Tandem seat with removable cowl for the rear half. Modern brakes, wheels and tires. No airbox (less power, but better looking).

Essentially, keep all that was good about that bike, and upgrade all that was bad.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a Honda so no matter what you do with it you have to put RR on it somewhere :BLAA:

Looks like a nice little project anyway , bar end mirrors are something i'd be doing early on :thumbup:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Modern, USD forks. Monoshock swingarm. No battery. Tandem seat with removable cowl for the rear half. Modern brakes, wheels and tires. No airbox (less power, but better looking).

Essentially, keep all that was good about that bike, and upgrade all that was bad.

I really wanna do the USD forks and apparently in order to get modern triples to mate to the frame, I only need a different upper bearing.