my clutch exploded, need advice now on replacement

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Two clutch disks disintegrated on the Cherohala Skyway, so now I'm running on a Tennessee redneck custom clutch. Big thanks to Ron at Champion Cycle in Madisonville for rigging up a couple disks that weren't meant for the bike, got me home. Now I'm looking around for a proper fix. Should I just replace the friction disks? Replace the plates and springs too? I priced out all the friction disks, plates, and springs from Ron Ayers and it came to just under $150 before shipping. Not bad, but I'm always looking for better. Are the aftermarket clutches any good?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike has 55k km, has run on Shell Rotella T synth for the last 45k km or so. I'm not the kindest on the bike so I can't really blame it for failing, just trying to figure out the replacement now

How many miles on the bike before the failure?

Unless a clutch has been abused, or improper oils used, a clutch really shouldn't wear out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd make sure all the clutch pieces are accounted for...

A guy with an R6 blew his clutch up (friction plates) and the parts got all in the engine and actually jammed up some crank gears/etc preventing the engine from turning over. The local shop, I frequent, pulled the engine, flipped it over and plucked lots of pieces of clutch...(pulled the rt side cover and oil pan). I was able to take a peek and watch the mechanic with a pan full of clutch pieces....

At least do a couple of oil changes and keep an eye on it...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! I have 45k miles on my bike and I just abused the hell out of it tonight on the way home. There was a big wreck on the freeway, I got stuck in stop n go traffic for about 45 minutes. I really got to practice my "Slow Ride"

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny this came up now I just replaced mine due to the same issue but my clutches were still in place and rideable. The #1 and #8 plate were both broken into 3 pieces and smoked. In answer to your question I have always just replaced frictions and springs then about every 3rd clutch change I would replace the steels but in between just rough them back up on a wire wheel.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd make sure all the clutch pieces are accounted for...

A guy with an R6 blew his clutch up (friction plates) and the parts got all in the engine and actually jammed up some crank gears/etc preventing the engine from turning over. The local shop, I frequent, pulled the engine, flipped it over and plucked lots of pieces of clutch...(pulled the rt side cover and oil pan). I was able to take a peek and watch the mechanic with a pan full of clutch pieces....

At least do a couple of oil changes and keep an eye on it...

Funny this came up now I just replaced mine due to the same issue but my clutches were still in place and rideable. The #1 and #8 plate were both broken into 3 pieces and smoked. In answer to your question I have always just replaced frictions and springs then about every 3rd clutch change I would replace the steels but in between just rough them back up on a wire wheel.

Funny, the clutch disk that did break, broke into three pieces as well, the second disk that was replaced wasn't broken but was cracked and getting pretty close, didn't know which ones they were but probably the same since they're the outer disks and probably take the most work. Ron, the mechanic, fished out two pieces, but the third piece is still somewhere in my oil pan. He says it should be fine since it's a solid piece, but I'll probably drop the pan when I replace the clutch for piece of mind. Of course do an oil change when I replace it, and probably 500km after.

Still haven't decided which route to go, would prefer to go with a low mileage used clutch assy, if I can find one cheap enough.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, the clutch disk that did break, broke into three pieces as well, the second disk that was replaced wasn't broken but was cracked and getting pretty close, didn't know which ones they were but probably the same since they're the outer disks and probably take the most work. Ron, the mechanic, fished out two pieces, but the third piece is still somewhere in my oil pan. He says it should be fine since it's a solid piece, but I'll probably drop the pan when I replace the clutch for piece of mind. Of course do an oil change when I replace it, and probably 500km after.

Still haven't decided which route to go, would prefer to go with a low mileage used clutch assy, if I can find one cheap enough.

Your lucky it came apart in just 3 pieces. The R6 was lots of tiny pieces...

I think that's a real good idea to drop the pan and remove it. I'd be afraid of flipping the bike thru some corners and kicking it (the 3rd piece of clutch) up from the bottom of the pan into something turning (gears/oil pump, etc)....
The pan replacement isn't that hard as we did my friends 07 FJR (very similar) oil pan for a drain plug insert..