My Day From Hell----*ACCIDENT*

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
My day was going very good until 1:13pm today.....I was the 2nd vehicle in line at a stop light wen some guy behind rear ends me!!! Me and the bike went down. After about 30 seconds I get up and the guy is saying, "DUDE, IM SORRY....IM SORRY"....at that point all I wanted to do was reach through the window and start punching him!!! Just as I start walking to the car, a cop come around the corner......

This was a BRAND NEW BIKE (2007 Yamaha FZ6) with less than 40 miles on it!!! So you can imagine how mad I was. With the cops help I get the bike back up and see that liquid is leaking from the bottom, im thinking that my bike is dead and that guy should be too!!!

So the cop gets our info...the guy gets a ticket and he starts to yell at the cop, "why am I getting a ticket?" I wanted to say because your ass hit me!!!

The guy had insurance through GEICO and they have already contacted me to get the ball rolling on getting the bike repaired. When I get a moment I will be stoping by the repair shop to get pictures which I will post here....from what I saw the back end is smashed in, the right side foot brake is bent up, scratches up and don the side, the front rurn signal is broken and the front fairing is scratched......all this happen about 1 hour after I bought some sliders on e-bay!!!

I never thought this would happen to me.....at least not this soon....ITS ANEW BIKE!!! Thank GOD I had on my gear and im ok....I'll keep ou all posted on the bikes progress.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
ouch. good to hear you are alright and not banged up. the bike can be replaced. you can't be.

This is also why i always leave enough room infront of me to scoot out of the way if need be and I always look into my rear view until i see the vehicle behind me is stopped. or at least coming to a stop and is creeping up very slowly.

trust no one. you just never know.......

Astaroth

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your accident and I am glad to hear you are alright. Here is some advice after having some problems with insurance companies. Geico may want to have your bike fixed at one of their "shops." Don't let the insurance company direct the repair of your bike. It's your bike. You get it fixed where and how you want to. Geico's job is to make sure that it gets paid for. If you have any problems, make a claim through your insurance and then have it fixed your way. The only down side is that you have to front your deductible until your insurance company settles with Geico.

Good luck!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pleased to hear you're OK, sorry to hear about the accident. At least it sounds as if the insurance company are on the ball.
It could happen to anyone, and although it's a bit too late to say it now, it can help to keep your brake applied (so your brake lights are on) if you're the last one in a line of traffic (until someone pulls up behind you).

Hope it gets fixed up real soon so you can get it back out on the road, where it belongs :thumbup:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you walked away. I'm with Urbanj- I don't trust anyone behind me at a stop until I see they are stopped, I always leave an escape path open in case they don't stop, esp. rubberneckers at an accident scene or when a police car has someone pulled over. Hope you don't hurt tomorrow and get the bike back soon.

Gemini77

Reaction score
Visit site
I still had the brake on.....I think he jumped the gun and started moving before I did and gave it too much gas....then hit me!!!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure you have already thought about this but DO NOT go for a repair job to existing components...the guy did this to your bike so get all NEW parts put on the bike. If the fairing is scratched, get a new fairing, same goes for the bent and busted parts.

I say this because its your bike and why should you settle for a patch up job and have to look at the scratches that prick put on your bike all because he didn't pay attention.

Thankfully your ok, and the cop came before you had the chance to walk yourself into handcuffs for homicide!!! :p

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
What gets my feathers ruffled is the drivers of today drive and stop too close. I swear they have no courtesy or common sense for that matter. Our law enforcement is no help because they don't enforce tailgating laws. :(

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...it can help to keep your brake applied (so your brake lights are on)...

Great advise. I always have my rear brake on (left foot down) by habit at a stop. I have often thought about those tail lights that blink but wonder if some fool would fixate on the "pretty blinking red light" and not actually comprehend that I'm stopping.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad that you are ok. get the bike fixed up quick and work with the dealer to maybe use some after market parts for the repair (two bros or alinke) and use the Factory parts as credit toward the upgrade. Factory parts are crazy expensive and are not as good, often the factory part is more than the after market...

W

wrightme43

It sucks your bike is hurt man.
Think about this. You could be laying in a hospital with tubes, and all sorts of crazy. You could be dead. Put this in perspective. Dude is a asshat. He hurt your bike. Your fine. Its just stuff man. I love my bike, but if she is killed and I live, I am doing good.
In airplanes its the any landing you walk away from is a good one.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also glad you're OK. As people mentioned, it is just metal. I sympathize - I was in a worse accident on Sat and my bike is probably totaled or close to it. At this point I just hope it is totaled because it looked pretty bad.
Again, put iit in perspectives. Accidents happen - that's why they are accidents.
Dani

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear that you're okay though. Take care and heal well.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
im sorry to hear about the accident,,i actually remember your first post not too long ago,,about getting the bike from the dealership and all that...

im glad you are OK , definitely get those scratched fairings replaced , tell them repainted bike is worth less then untouched bike,,and you shouldnt be effected by this incident,,they could keep the old parts and sell them to someone else...you definitely need new fairings on where the damage is..

its always good not to talk too much or attack the people who caused the accident , no matter how bad it looks im sure he didnt mean to do it...im keeping drunk drivers out of this rule :) they have to be beaten up real good before put in jail...
by doing something stupid to him could turn everything upside down real quick...be the good guy :)

i hope you can get the bike fixed,up and running as quick as possible.....please let us know

mfox23

Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about ur accident! It seems like red lights are problematic for bikers, I had a friend who was stopped at one on a Harley with her husband on his Harley in the lane next to her, and some woman wasn't paying attention and hit her while she was stopped. Sadly, she wasn't as fortunate and died on the street. We can't afford to give any drivers the benefit of the doubt. So stay safe everyone!!! Hope everything works out and good luck with getting the bike back in great condition!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Man this is the second post in as many days about crashing a new bike! The season is fast aproaching, and riders are pulling their bikes out of storage, lets not forget about safety. Keep your eyes in those mirrors, and your bike in gear at stoplights. Be ready for whatever cagers throw your way!

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
+1!!

I had Nationwide and was at fault and they made me use "their" shop. Sorriest paint job ever! Best way is definitely to go through your insurance company, that way if their is a dispute you can use their lawyers.

Sorry about your accident and I am glad to hear you are alright. Here is some advice after having some problems with insurance companies. Geico may want to have your bike fixed at one of their "shops." Don't let the insurance company direct the repair of your bike. It's your bike. You get it fixed where and how you want to. Geico's job is to make sure that it gets paid for. If you have any problems, make a claim through your insurance and then have it fixed your way. The only down side is that you have to front your deductible until your insurance company settles with Geico.

Good luck!