My Son.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Over the past 18 years my son has never really been into what I have been into. I'm a gear head. I love motorcycles, drag racing and fighting fire. He loves basketball, football and his XBOX.

Never did I ever think he would come to me and tell me he wanted to enlist in the U.S. Navy.

After the bomb shell he dropped on me cleared, I had to really evaluate the gravity of his statement. For the first time, no matter what I said, HE was telling me what HE was going to do.

Our conversation was pretty short and to the point. He asked what the Navy was about, where in the Navy he would be best utilized and if I would go with him to the recruiters office. I asked him why he wanted to join and he said he wanted to serve his country, like I did. Talk about getting a lump in your throat! I use to change this kids dippers and here he is telling me he is willing to pay the price for our freedom!

He knows how I feel about Iraq and Afghanistan, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Well, this past February 18th 2011 my Son graduated from Naval Service Training Command Great Lakes Illinois.

My wife, my daughter and myself went to see him. I kept it together pretty good, until his company marched into the drill hall.

Now mind you, I served 4 years in the U.S. Navy. I am now a Federal Firefighter in the U.S. Navy. I have other family members that have served.

As my son and his company marched past me, for the first time I actually understood what it means to serve. AND I was there in his shoes 20 years ago! The honor I had watching those kids stand up and do what they are doing is absolutely amazing. For ch!$t sakes I had to tell my boy to brush his teeth, take a shower, clean his room and not stay out too late just days before he left for boot camp, and here he is, standing with 900+ other kids graduating into the most power military force ever known on our planet. My son is no longer my boy.

After all the crying and blubbering was done I got to hug my son and thank him for his service.

Currently he is in school, he is going to be a "CE" Construction Electrician in the Seabee's. From what I understand, once he finishes school and gets to his Battalion he will be deployed... to Afghanistan.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kids have a way of keeping you guessing don't they? Good one on ya Bill, he did pick up on your values!

And Welcome Back my friend, it's been too long!

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for sharing! My dad did 22 yours ing the U.S. Navy and I am an Army guy myself so I know what it feels like to see that look of pride in my Fathers eye's.

Congrats! And I wish him luck!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
You sound like a proud father! As parents we will always be scared what our kids do, but kids never stay as kids. Our freedom isn't free, and your son knows it. May he keep making you proud, and may he serve our country with honor and respect. I know he isn't in the Marines, but I'll say it any way, Semper Fi!! Always Faithful!!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks to the both of you.

My Dad was a 20 year AF guy. I ended up doing 20 in the USN.

Casual conversation some 15 years after I joined.... "by the way, BOTH of your Grandfathers served in the Navy. *One in the Royal Navy, one in the USN."

Uncles, Brothers, Cousins.... the circle continues.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What a lovely story Bill,
I always wanted to join the forces as a young man. I ended up serving the public in a different waythough.
I went to my brothers passing out parade and was so proud of him.
I would be delighted if my children choose the same path.

Nelly:thumbup:

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I nearly enlisted when i was outta school with no job, but the office was closed that day!

I do think "what if" now and again, and i think it would have been so great... and i'd be in better shape than i am now!

I would pick the navy, purely because I don't think i'd be able to cope being a "foot solider" as it were. I would like the big machines without _as much_ risk.
lol maybe i wasn't cut out for the forces!

Things turned out ok, met my wife 8 years ago now and have 2 kids nice job and a house. Hope he enjoys his time there. We have 4 lads in our close family who are in the army.

spdyike

Happy new FZ rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. It's story's like this that make me glad I joined the military; USAF - 8 years active,then jumped right into Air National Guard. Sept this year will be 10 years. My wife also did 4 yrs active duty (USAF) and is still in the reserves, going on 15 years. It's hard to believe that only 1% of the U.S. Polulation is serving, def makes us all part of a unique/special family. Thank you to those who are serving and for those who have served.

I am the second person in my family to join, my dad's uncle did 4 years in the Navy. After I joined, 2 of my cousins have decided to join (Army) and I believe another one is looking into it.

I am a father of 2 (3 yr old girl, 16 mo old son), and I hope one day my kids will have the same passion/desire as my wife and I to serve/support the men/women in uniform.

Congrats to your Son and Congrats to being a loving/supportive parent. May God bless you and your family.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have to share here :) I come from a VERY strong military family. Both my grandparents served in WWII one as a marine, the other as Army. I have had 3 uncles in the marines at one point, and one in the navy. Currently there is 4 Navy, 3Marines, and 4 Army serving active right now (cousins and myself). I have been in 7 years, and am currently on my third deployment. I have 1 girl and 3 boys, and can only imagine what is going to happen when one of mine tells me they wanna serve. Thank you too all that have served, or are serving !!!!

LesL60

Reaction score
Visit site
Hooyah! Go Navy! Congratulations to you, dad, and thank you for your service. Many thanks to your son for his, too! My son is an NROTC Midshipman 2C (junior) at the U of Memphis and is intending to do a full career in the Navy. He'd love to fly helos. I understand the pride thing, and when he commissions and I pin on his butter bars I'm sure I'll not keep the peepers dry. I just hope I don't blubber; it's possible. With two f'd up heart valves, I have to sit by and watch others do the hard work of protecting our great Country for me. I think about it every day. I'm privileged to know many servicemen and women, and I am nearly overwhelmed by my gratitude.

God's protection to all of them, and Fair Winds and Following Seas to your SeaBee!:america: