Nancy from Seattle Washington

Ncita99

Ncita99
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

Can someone tell me what the difference is in the FZ6r and the FZ6. I know the obvious stuff like the look - but what about the power? I know the 6r is heavier (8lbs) and gets a bit better mileage (not much). I have sat on both and the FZ6 seems more upright. Any thoughts? I want fast start - quieter sounding - power and speed - yet this bike seems to fit most of what I am looking for (the FZ6). I also like Pink but afraid that if I buy the FZ6r white with pink... that resale will be bad... as I want to broaden my market to men and women. I have already been through 3 bikes since 4/07 searching for the right one. Thanks for your help. Nancy

i like the fz6 but im 6'2 i sat on the fz6r its lower, has some diff things like electronics systems but is the same power, weight can makes a diff its about 20 lbs heavier the fz6r, but i dont think it will matter. the fz6 has a bigger fuel tank 5.1 gallons and fz6r has 4.6 again not much but its up to you. Id recomend the fz6r cuz its lower not to insult you but im sure your not 6' ft. It wont be worth the time and money to have to modify it to fit your height just make sure you feel comfy in it trust me it has plenty of power i havent taken it to full throttle kinda freaks me out. pick whatever color you like best, in my opinion i wouldnt care about the resale value aslong as you enjoy it first

The newer FZ6RRRRRR is slowerrrrrrr. Less HP, they have geared it more towards entry level sportsbike. The R6 look but without the power.

The FZ6R is the same motor but tuned differently to be more entry level, I was told. The FZ6 actually has a better power band. The back tire is a smaller series on the R as well, I believe, and the fuel tank is smaller. These aren't negative points per se, its just a different bike for different taste. I think it is a pretty good choice for an entry-level sport bike, especially for a smaller rider. Lots of other lady riders have gone for it and love it. I would be careful with either one as they have PLENTY of power for a first bike.

Can someone tell me what the difference is in the FZ6r and the FZ6. I know the obvious stuff like the look - but what about the power?
The recent test in Rider magazine gave specs of 66 hp, 39.1 ft-lb. for the FZ6R. I could not find a test report for the FZ6 with a dyno curve, but Forum member Reiobard’s dyno run (http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/6177-got-my-baseline-dyno-run.html) of his stock FZ6 showed 90 hp and 44 ft-lb. Of course the shapes of the power and torque curves are different for the two bikes. The FZ6R is said to be tuned to optimize low- and mid-range power. But comparing Reiobard's results to the curves presented in the Rider test, it sure looks like the FZ6 has equal or greater torque from 4,000 RPM on up. But 66 hp is probably plenty for most riders.
As far as which to purchase, I'll give the unhelpful advice that you would probably be satisfied with either. It sounds like you are leaning toward the FZ6, so......

I'll make this real simple. The FZ6-R is a chick bike.

I guess that depends on the chicks you ride with... all of them in my group would not be happy with that particular model of bike.

Nancy,

If you want a light-duty bike for commuting and mild play, the R-model will suit you fine. If you want power and performance with the FZ ergonomics/price, then get the regular model.

I guess that depends on the chicks you ride with... all of them in my group would not be happy with that particular model of bike.

Nancy,

If you want a light-duty bike for commuting and mild play, the R-model will suit you fine. If you want power and performance with the FZ ergonomics/price, then get the regular model.

I agree completely with ALL of this post. Given that the R is basically the YZF600R reborn, I can safely say that I doubt I would like the feel of the R, because I didn't care for the YZF....

Also, is there anything really "chick" about it, other than it comes in a pink option? My SV is MY "chick" bike, and I know more gys that ride them than girls. And most race them....

Back