Need a cosmetically perfect '04-'08 fuel tank. Trade possible?

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to be cheap about it, otherwise I would have bought a new tank in primer and just had it painted. I've been watching eBay for a year and haven't seen anything worth jumping on.

I'm looking for a cosmetically perfect fuel tank for my '04 FZ6. I'm willing to pay a fair price for a nice used tank.

I would prefer blue, but under the right circumstances I would accept a different color and just change up the color combo.

I'm trying to get rid of some cosmetic damage (a big dent). Otherwise the tank is in perfect condition, the dent didn't even crack or mar the paint, so there's no possibility of rust.

Are you specifically looking for a blue tank and wouldn't mind the dent as much as me? Maybe you have paintless dent repair more readily available than I do. I'm willing to work out a creative way to solve this problem, this dent really isn't such a big deal, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Dent picture:

KPzV3mPh.jpg

E2QIVI2h.jpg

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
I sent some pics to a guy who does paintless dent repair via shipping the tank to him and he said he could try to get the dents out... the problem is that I don't want to pay the $200 plus shipping and not have the bike to ride. There's also the risk that the dents are just a touch to deep and PDR may not be enough - in which case I waste a lot of time and money shipping the tank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd ride that to 3 body shops and get quotes. You pull the tank, gut the hardware and ask base coat clear coat finish using hardened two part enamel.

There is no paintless repair that will take that crease out. Not if you want it perfect.

I spent 10 years doing frame, body, and paint. Fixed HD tanks along the way. Because the pump hole is big enough for a hand and tools, its a pretty quick fix.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember there are drain and vent tubes in our tank... bladder is a no go.