Need ideas: using an R6 triple but want the bars in the FZ6 position

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Hey Everyone,

Need a little help. Rather than worrying about spacers and such for my r6 fork swap I've decided to just use the whole '03 R6 front end. But I really like where my bars are on the FZ6. I've looked into two different options.

First, I've looked at some different clip ons that have risers but I have two issues. One, they're usually pretty dang expensive. Two, although being higher, they wouldn't bring the bars back any so I'd still be more forward than I'd like. This is really the option I want, but I'm having a hard time finding what I need at a price I can afford.

Second, my other option is to get some risers/mounts and drill into the R6 triple. I'm not completely sure that's an option. Rather than being a solid piece of aluminum it has a webbing under it for strength. This really limits where I can put the risers. Plus, I'm not completely sure what risers to get.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone seen someone make something to give more of a "touring" stance to an R6 front end? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the swap with spacers very easy and you don't have to worry about the head bearings or the ignition switch or steering stops. just seems like a lot more work to me with the same outcome

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
guess there aren't a whole lot of ideas out there. might stumble over to the r6 board and see if anyone has any ideas there.

here's the reason for it. first, i have a cx500 cafe project i'm working on and i've gotten it in my head to upgrade the front end of that bike. don't ask me why. second, i'm not all together comfortable with putting "axle shims" on my bike. if someone had a proper spacer for sale i'd consider that. but money is also a factor for me.

i put together a little spreadsheet to show my options. if you can think of something better i'm all ears. but right now the simplest and cheapest method seems to be a complete r6 front end on the fz6 and a complete fz6 front end on the cx500.

side note: if i could find an fz6 triple that wasn't priced like it was made of gold, i'd be more willing to go with option C. as it stands, i'm leaning towards option A.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FY0NUs1aGhVOEJFODZkWVJzVjRZZVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the exact same dilemma when swapping over the front end on my FZ with that of a ZX6R. I have attached the portion of my build thread relating to the upper triple which may be able to give you some ideas. Not knowing exactly what the R6 upper triple looks like, I cannot comment on the likelihood that this method will work.

To summarize the attached photos: I made matching stand-off assemblies to space the handlebar risers off the triple and provide additional support. On the underside of the triple, I made two (2) additional support blocks using the same aluminum flat-stock. The pieces were cut to fit between the "webb's" of the underside of the triple, epoxied in place, and drilled to accept the handlebar clamp bolt. If you would like more pictures please let me know.

Received the proper bar mounts yesterday from Outlaw Racing. The first set I received (Part Number 12-041) had a large, flat base which was too wide for the triple clamp. The new set (Part Number 12-074, made for Kawasaki) has a narrow stand-off which will fit nicely.

Bar Mount View #1:

Bar Mount View #2:

The tricky part now is fixing the bar mounts to the upper triple. Check out the photo below. The upper triple has some large cut-outs that make mounting a project in itself.

My solution: fabricate a couple aluminum stand-off plates to bridge the hole. Not to toot my own horn, but I am excited out how well the first one turned out considering I only used a Jig-Saw, sand paper, and a few files.

Stand-Off View #1:

Stand-Off View #2:

Now I need to make an Identical opposite hand version...wish me luck.

Finished Product (Before Painting):

Near completing the ZX6R Fork Conversion (Check it out: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33872-teaser-winter-project.html) and I am having trouble deciding what finish to apply to the bar mount riser plates. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think: Flat Black to match the triple clamp when I re-paint or a nice mirror polish followed by a clear anodizing???

Last edited:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...side note: if i could find an fz6 triple that wasn't priced like it was made of gold, i'd be more willing to go with option C...

On another note; I have triple that I am parting with from my 07' project bike (which I don't think I priced like it was gold...I don't think;) )

Upper Triple: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bike...-upper-triple-clamp-w-new-ignition-bolts.html

Lower triple: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/38345-f-s-lower-triple-clamp.html

If you bought them both, I would even throw in the yoke nut, spanner nuts, spanner nut lock, rubber washer, and any bearings that I had laying around. Perhaps I would even give you a package price deal :)