new bikes?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i had the race on in the background while i was working on the computer. i don't keep up with this stuff like some of you so i need some help. they said something about some "new technology" and/or "new bikes" that some, but not all, of the riders were riding. did i miss-hear? if there's new stuff, what's it all about?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, no more 125cc bikes. We now have:

Moto3 - 4 stroke, 250cc class
Moto2 - 4 stroke, 600cc class
MotoGP - 4 stroke 1000cc class

Also, MotoGP has CRT bikes (Claiming Rule Teams). That's why there was such a big field. Created to make MotoGP more affordable for smaller teams. They are given a dozen engines a year (MotoGP factory teams only get 6). They carry more fuel (24 litres not 21 litres) and the teams buy or "claim" the engines with the transmission. They may have a Yamaha frame but Aprillia engine/transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, no more 125cc bikes. We now have:

Moto3 - 4 stroke, 250cc class
Moto2 - 4 stroke, 600cc class
MotoGP - 4 stroke 1000cc class

Also, MotoGP has CRT bikes (Claiming Rule Teams). That's why there was such a big field. Created to make MotoGP more affordable for smaller teams. They are given a dozen engines a year (MotoGP factory teams only get 6). They carry more fuel (24 litres not 21 litres) and the teams buy or "claim" the engines with the transmission. They may have a Yamaha frame but Aprillia engine/transmission.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......

That's a pretty decent summation Kazza! The Moto 3 bikes sound awful! And the CRT bikes do not convince me that they belong in MOTO GP!

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done Kaz , couldnt of said it better & simpler myself :thumbup:

I dont know if Moto3 sounds crap or if it just because we all REALLY miss the 2 stroke scream which has gone hand in hand with bike racing for ever :thumbup: I know I really miss the 2 strokes :(

CRT , well they are just a disgrace :spank: How long before one gets lapped do you reckon ??? :eek:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think they will tweak it slightly to give the CRT teams a better chance, but i think even then it will be difficult to have a "fair" playing field, because at some point they will catch up. Bear in mind they are only lapping 1-2seconds behinds the motogp bikes, and cost a lot less.

There was a good article in "Performance Bikes" this month, the CRT bikes still cost £1-2m to run. For example the carbon brake discs cost £8k, per rotor, and they will need several sets.

Still i think they need to do something to encourage manufacturers to develop, evolve and improve, hopefully they won't mess it up like F1

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They need to make Moto3 bikes sound like and MX2 motocross bike.

Anyway, id just love all classes of Gp go back to being strokers :D