New gear

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
OK Ladies (and gentlemen)

I am thinking of upgrading from Kevlar lined jeans to either leather riding pants or textile. Everything I find has little to no protective gear incorporated into it. Do all manufacturers think women only think of style? I want good fit and good protection. Is that too much to ask? Style is way down my list of priorities. Of course I don't want to look like the Michelin Man but I am sure pants could be made that provide protection, comfort, and don't like bad.

Gear for men advertise protection and fit (not style) and gear for women advertise style. Protection is an after thought. Do manufacturers think that women don't want to survive a crash? Oh, only as long as we look good? Those of us that ride our own ride need protection! Even if we are on the back of our man's bike we need protection too.

Any suggestions? (I guess this should be on the rant thread)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out Rev It; style, function, outstanding armor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own a pair of Olympia Mesh Overpants. They have really good hip & knee protection and they flow air nicely....they downside is they do make me look like the Bride of the Michelin Man. But I guess I'd rather look 10 pounds heavier than not have that protection.
If you can "try on" anything from a local store first, I'd suggest that then shop online to find what you want.
Honestly Monica, I've had a little luck with some men's gear and my dirt bike boots? they came from the boys section!

Women?s Apparel | Olympia Moto Sports - Technical Motorcycle Gear
Women's Motorcycle Gear - RevZilla

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
The August 2013 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News did a nice comparison test of Scorpion Jewel Pants vs Joe Rocket Cleo pants which you may find interesting. Good luck!

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
We've struggled with same issue for all gear for my wife. Unfortunately for many manufactures ladies market is too small and they do not invest too much in research and developing their products for.

As other recommended you might try: Rev It (this is what we ended up with for textile), Olympia (Olympia with way they cut didn't fit her), Dainese (she got leather one-piece suit as any other didn't fit), maybe FirstGear.

Also you may try browsing through GearChic, a personal guide to Women's Motorcycle Gear. I'm not sure if she is rebuild site or what but she used to have more reviews than I currently see on her site. Maybe it will lead you to some ideas anyway.

It takes some effort to find gear that will fit and protect you but when you do it's great feeling :) Good luck !

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Monica! I've found the reviews and selection on Revzilla & Cycle Gear's websites to be very helpful. And their return policies make it easy to exchange or return items. I don't know your body type, so what I loved might not be right for you.

I have textile Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" pants & jacket. I wore them ALL summer. And liked the fact that I could throw them in the wash after sweating in them all day. The pants are here and the jacket here. The jacket is actually 3 layers with the inner jacket made of mesh. I liked the amount of padding & armor in the pants especially. The pants have several different velcro adjustment points and if your legs are short, they can be "hemmed" with the built in snaps! I also ended up buying a base layer for "cool" by Rev'It that was perfect for those 100+ days in the desert.

Anyway, if I could only invest in one outfit, I would get the pants for certain. Joe Rocket has some nice other jackets that may suit your needs and not be as pricey. I love the fact that they easily zip together, which is why I like to buy top/bottom from the same label.

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
How much money do you want to spend? Dainese make some nice ladies gear that doesn't have the Michelin man look.

Dainese - Motorbike - America - Inglese

Hmm... good question. Probably less than $200.

I am also not sure if I want leather or an "over pant".

Any suggestions?

I mostly ride for fun on weekend. The weather can get pretty hot in the area we ride, but we can ride in cool weather too all on the same day.

We do take a few 3+ day rides each year as well.

And I do commute to work approximately 2-3 days a week during the riding season. I will probably just wear my riding jeans then.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Monica! I've found the reviews and selection on Revzilla & Cycle Gear's websites to be very helpful. And their return policies make it easy to exchange or return items. I don't know your body type, so what I loved might not be right for you.

I have textile Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" pants & jacket. I wore them ALL summer. And liked the fact that I could throw them in the wash after sweating in them all day. The pants are here and the jacket here. The jacket is actually 3 layers with the inner jacket made of mesh. I liked the amount of padding & armor in the pants especially. The pants have several different velcro adjustment points and if your legs are short, they can be "hemmed" with the built in snaps! I also ended up buying a base layer for "cool" by Rev'It that was perfect for those 100+ days in the desert.

Anyway, if I could only invest in one outfit, I would get the pants for certain. Joe Rocket has some nice other jackets that may suit your needs and not be as pricey. I love the fact that they easily zip together, which is why I like to buy top/bottom from the same label.

I have 2 Joe Rocket jackets. Love them! I have the Cleo 2.2 mesh and Atomic textile. At the end of the season, I just took out the armor and soaked them in the bathtub with some Woolite and all the bugs and road grime just fell away. They are beautiful pristine.

I am 5'8" tall with 36" inseam. I am 190 pounds (mostly muscle - hahaha)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a link to Motoport Motoport

Their stuff is not cheap but it is real Kevlar gear. I have a GP2 pant from them and I can attest to how light this gear is compared to leather. When considering gear you should think about seam strength and what thread is used to keep your protective gear together. Kevlar gear is washable and will last far longer than leather or any other textile gear.

Motoport is the only place in the USA that makes Kevlar riding gear. You send them a pair of your best fitting jeans and they make the pants.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for Motoport.....but it sounds like you don't want to spend that much.
The other option is to shop around for used gear that's been suggested on here for women. Might take a little longer to find what you want but you'll save a ton....and be protected if it's in good shape. I managed to get a pair of Dainese leather pants hardly worn for $100 in an area which doesn't have nearly as many riders as you do.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my BMW City pants.:thumbup:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Motorcycle-City-pants/dp/B004N89WUO]BMW Genuine Motorcycle City 2 pants - size L : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]