New here, frame slider & seat question

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings. My Fz6 is my first bike, and ive had it a few weeks now (got such a good deal on it i couldnt pass on it). I've got a chain and brake lock on order now to help keep it where i put it at night (i live in an apartment). I've been poking around about frame sliders, but heard things that sliders on this bike might not be a good idea, as someone said it could cause frame cracking.

Is there any truth of this?

Also, i've tried to give it time, but i dont think the stock seat is very comfortable and ive been curious about aftermarkets. One being a Top Saddler, and ive heard Corbin also thrown around. My friend has a Corbin on his bandit and hes still on the fence on if he likes it or not. Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings. My Fz6 is my first bike, and ive had it a few weeks now (got such a good deal on it i couldnt pass on it). I've got a chain and brake lock on order now to help keep it where i put it at night (i live in an apartment). I've been poking around about frame sliders, but heard things that sliders on this bike might not be a good idea, as someone said it could cause frame cracking.

Is there any truth of this?

Also, i've tried to give it time, but i dont think the stock seat is very comfortable and ive been curious about aftermarkets. One being a Top Saddler, and ive heard Corbin also thrown around. My friend has a Corbin on his bandit and hes still on the fence on if he likes it or not. Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!!!!

A lot of folks use sliders and swear by them. Depending on the lay down circumstances, they have cracked frames and engine blocks. This is pretty rare but can occur. (I don't have them, nor want them)

As for the seat, if you can wait a couple of days, this company will modify your seat and does EXCELLENT WORK with super quick turn around (they did mine): http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php. Can't comment on the others you mentioned, I've had no experiance with them...

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the site and when you can post some pics of your bike.

I had the TS seat on my 6, liked it so much I got one for the FZ1. And I would not have a bike without frame sliders....just in case! :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great family!

I've used my frame sliders a few times! :)

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I would suggest frame sliders that are not too long and I second the above link to Spencer's seat mods!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Frame sliders saved my leg and possibly my life. Got put into a New Jersey Barrier two seasons ago. Ground off about 1/2 inch of the frame slider and my jeans down that side of my leg. Pretty bad road rash but nothing compared to what I would have had if I hadn't had the frame slider holding the wall off my knee/leg. Good chance my leg would have been crushed and twisted, pulling me off the bike. As it was I never stopped and kept riding once the idiot passed me and I had a chance to get back on the road.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I think running with frame sliders outweigh the risks of a frame cracking. However, be extra careful when tightening down the frame sliders as the aluminum frame mount threads can easily strip if not careful. Before installing frame sliders, I recommend that one "test-torque" the existing frame mount bolts to get an even better idea of how much effort s/b used to install the new frame slider bolts. Also, check the new frame slider bolts to determine if they "grab" at least the same amount of mount threads. Years ago, I initially was mistakenly supplied with frame slider bolts too short and grabbed minimal mount threads and unwittingly stripped them. Consequently, I had to find longer frame slider bolts (impossible or very difficult to find on-line and hardware stores!) so I could still install the sliders by using the unused good threads deeper in the frame mounting. Best to use Locktite (not permanant) for insurance.

Who hasn't gone down at least once already and had minimal damage due to frame sliders protecting cases, farings?

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Who hasn't gone down at least once already and had minimal damage due to frame sliders protecting cases, farings?

Me.. now..

I went down last week. I wasnt really moving and managed to control my fall so it did minimal damage. Check it out here

Basically, some lady ran a red light as i was starting my turn on to the road and i grabbed break while my wheel was turned. Whats not shown, is the rear break pedal was bent in. I bent it back out. That and the engine i conciser the 'worst' of it.

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Me.. now..

I went down last week. I wasnt really moving and managed to control my fall so it did minimal damage. Check it out here

Basically, some lady ran a red light as i was starting my turn on to the road and i grabbed break while my wheel was turned. Whats not shown, is the rear break pedal was bent in. I bent it back out. That and the engine i conciser the 'worst' of it.

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like your fairing got the worst of it and that's easily replaceable. Most important is no tank damage and that's where sliders help the most in low speed drops.:thumbup: