new member from southern Illinois

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride an FZ6 anymore, but I'm considering buying another one. The truth is that I have waffled quite a bit about what to buy. I'm sorta torn between...

Yamaha FZ6
Ducati Monster 969
Ducati Monster 965
Suzuki SV650
Suzuki GSX650F

I have even given limited consideration to the BMW F800ST, BMW R1200R, Kawasaki ZZR600, Suzuki Bandit 1250, a leftover '07 FZ1, and even a number of dual-sport bikes.

My current bike is a new Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. It's a great ride, but I'm interested in moving back to something more sporty.

I have owned an FZ6, and I really liked it. About my only gripe was the frequent need for throttle-body synchronizations. It goes against my fetish for being lazy when it comes to doing maintenance on my own bikes. Obviously, I'm reconsidering how much of a deal-breaker that really is.

About me. I live in southern Illinois (the Marion/Carbondale area). I grew up in central Virginia, and spent about a dozen years in the Army. When I got out of the Army, I decided I wanted to do something fun for a while, so I attended MMI. I went to their Phoenix campus, and initially took the Harley-Davidson electives. Later, I went back and took the Suzuki elective as well (the F.A.S.T. program). I think it's a pretty good school. I only worked briefly as a mechanic (at a Harley dealership, and later at an aftermarket shop) before being promoted to service manager. I served as a service manager at a Harley dealership for most of my career. We recently moved to southern Illinois, and I took a break from the industry.

The other thing I always try to brag about is my Iron Butt Association membership. In 2005 I rode from Texas to Laguna Seca to watch the MotoGP race. My buddy and I decided to ride the entire way back to Texas non-stop. We did 1,767 miles in 32 hours. What made it even more appropriate to mention here is that I did it on the FZ6 I used to own! There are a couple links in my signature block. One is for a write-up I did about the Iron Butt ride, and the other is for a write-up I did about my motorcycle trip through Europe. They're both sort of long... but I did include pictures.

Here is a list of the bikes I’ve owned (pretty much in the order that I owned them):

1984 Kawasaki LTD 550
1985 Honda Rebel 250
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH-883 Sportster
1976 Yamaha XS360
1996 Harley-Davidson FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
1999 Ducati 750 Supersport
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Ducati ST2
1999 Ducati M750 Monster
2000 Harley-Davidson XL883 Sportster
2002 Suzuki SV650
1981 Suzuki GS750L
2004 Buell XB12S Lightning
2003 Ducati 999 Monoposto
2004 Suzuki SV650
2003 Honda Metropolitan
1981 Suzuki GS450E
2005 Yamaha FZ6
2006 Suzuki SV650
2007 Triumph Bonneville T-100
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

B018IMG024.jpg

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
I am from southern Illinois also. I live about 30 min east of St. Louis tho. The monster is a wicked bike, I dont know how much it costs, but I like them. The fz6 is the best all around bike, as you probably know, but if you want something different the monster would be a good choice.

Nick

Buford

just here for the beer
Reaction score
Visit site
That's quite an impressive list you got there by golly!!!! Welcome:cheer:

I've been lucky to have an understanding wife. ;)

Truth is, I'm slightly compulsive and fickle about buying new motorcycles. Like a fish, I get distracted by new shiny things. There are a few bikes on the list that I really shouldn't have sold.