New/Out-of-State Registration (dealer's expired)

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

I really need some good advice for this one. So I bought my bike in New Jersey early this past month. However, I am a resident of Rhode Island now (transferring here a year or so ago due to being a student in a college up here and taking advantage of the in-state tuition.) Anyway, reasons being that i bought it down there were that i was down there for the rest of the summer at my original home with my parents, local dealer owner connection allowing me to get a great deal on the bike, and of course riding around down there with my pops and some friends of mine. Now that school is about to start and having brought up the bike with me, i need to register it but the temporary dealer registration has expired on me. The problem is that I need to have some sort of vin check at my local police department before i can actually go to register it at the dmv. Has anyone gone to one of these before? Do they actually check the registration or just the title and vin? If so, how am I possibly supposed to get this vin check now without any registration? I'm afraid to ask them cause then they'll know and give me problems when I could just get in and get out without them ever realizing it. And no, I don't have a pick-up with me to take it over there either. :don'tknow:

Thanks,
Luc_

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Does this or this help?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking about the VIN check or exactly how Rhode Island handles it, but my guess is the police will want to physically verify the VIN with the title. What address did you use when you bought the bike, your Rhode Island address or your parents' New Jersey address?

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Does this or this help?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking about the VIN check or exactly how Rhode Island handles it, but my guess is the police will want to physically verify the VIN with the title. What address did you use when you bought the bike, your Rhode Island address or your parents' New Jersey address?

yup that's what it is from what I was getting information on the site as well. with the police verifying my vin, will they have to check my temporary dealer registration though because it's expired now. i have it under my rhode island address

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you concerned about getting to the DMV with the expired plate? Just have a friend take you. The bike doesn't have to be there with you to register. You will simply tell them that your parents trailered the bike up and you need to register it to ride. As far as they are concerned, you've yet to drive the bike in RI. ;) All's you need is proof of residence, proper ID and the expired registration that shows the VIN. Should be zero hassle.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
actually here in rhode island you have to take the bike to a local police station to have the vin checked in order to complete the registration process at dmv. it went smoothly guys. i was just concerned that they would give me problem since my temporary registration expired. thanks for replying! :thumbup: