New rider...new tires?

humanAfterAll

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just bought a 2005 FZ6 as my first bike. The bike is in pretty good condition but it looks like the tires need to be replaced.

I don't have much mechanical experience but I was considering changing the tires myself. I was hoping that this bike would give me a chance to learn a few things, but I'm not sure if changing the tires myself, right off the bat, would be a good idea.

Would it be better (safer) to try it myself, or leave it up to the professionals?

Thanks!

CRiSiS420

Reaction score
Visit site
I would leave it to the pros. I tried to change my own tire with their tire machine and its not too easy. You can buy some "take-offs" and walk out the door installed for about $200. It all depends on your indie shop.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not mechanically inclined enough to change the tires myself either. Last thing I would want is my wheel to fall off when riding. :BLAA: I ended up ordering my tires from Motorcycle Superstore. They have a preferred installer option where they will ship the tires directly to the shops that participate. That way, I could just ride in, let them change it, and ride out. The local bike shop charged somewhere around 20 dollars to change my front. Worked very nicely since the closest shop for me was 45 minutes away and I don't have means to transport a bike and tires at the same time, unless or course I bribe my truck driving friends with beer.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!:welcome:to the forum! Great membership here and we have a lot of fun.

I pull my wheels and take them in for new rubber. If you're not that familiar wrenching yet I would take it to a shop. If you pull your wheel and say take them to CycleGear like I do, you want to make sure your have the bike up in a stable environment where kids can't get to it etc. Another scenario to think about is the stability of your bike when reinstalling your wheels. I had a friend knock his bike over on himself while try to install a wheel.

Even better, if you can buddy up with someone seasoned with a wrench....

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have to change my tires on the fazer for the first time this weekend. I did it on my first bike (81' silverwing) but that was an easy job because it is shaft driven. That one was just a matter of mating up the splines and resetting the axles.

Anyone ever did a writeup for removing and reinstalling the rims when changing tires on the FZ? I searched a little, but had no luck.:rolleyes: Maybe someone could post a link to it for us newbs to this?

BTW, I bought mine off of cyclegears site and just got off the phone with my local cyclegear shop and they said if I bring in the receipt/shipping docs with the rims with the old tires off the bike they would only charge me $26 each tire and change them the moment I walk into the store.:rockon:

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone ever did a writeup for removing and reinstalling the rims when changing tires on the FZ?

It would have been nice if I knew that I needed a huge freaken adjustable wrench for the back tire without the tool kit and a 19mm hex to get the front off! That alone added a day to my tire swap.:spank:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
It would have been nice if I knew that I needed a huge freaken adjustable wrench for the back tire without the tool kit and a 19mm hex to get the front off! That alone added a day to my tire swap.:spank:

I picked up a set of 27-36mm sockets from Sears for $30 and a 19mm Gearwrench-brand hex socket from Amazon for ~$10 for just such an occasion last week.

From the sounds my electric impact was making to loosen the rear axle nut today, I don't think I'd want to use a crescent wrench on there. :eek:

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a set of 27-36mm sockets from Sears for $30 and a 19mm Gearwrench-brand hex socket from Amazon for ~$10 for just such an occasion last week.

From the sounds my electric impact was making to loosen the rear axle nut today, I don't think I'd want to use a crescent wrench on there. :eek:

LOL! I was cursing up a storm, but I managed ok. I'm 6' 1" and weigh about 250lb. So basically I'm pretty well built and throwing my weight on it worked well. I did use a "cheata pipe" as all my mechanic and oilfield buddies call em. Gotta love physics and pipe extensions.:rockon: