New to bikes and the FZ6

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for mirrors that will work with the FZ1 bar (Never liked the bar ends+ they add extra width when splitting lanes), maybe you guys can help me find a pair? :)

Looking for low profile small-ish ones in black. Something like these:

I bought mine on eBay, there are a lot of models available on there, have you had a look?

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Theres a lot, to say the least. None don't seem to come with the attachment for the bar?

Just trying a pair that are reasonably priced, look good, and aren't pieces of sh*t that'll vibrate.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Litres. Liters is something else.

To put this into perspective, a US gallon is 3.8 litres. An imperial (UK) gallon is 4.5 litres. The first couple of weeks I had the bike I was being exceedingly cautious, rarely taking it over 55mph, and never breaking the 60mph limit on a fairly straight through commute, with no city riding. I achieved 62 mile to the imperial gallon, or roughly 52 mile to the US gallon.

There's no way you're riding in what anyone would call a normal fashion, and getting 65 miles to the US gallon. The only thing I can think of that could be off, is speedo pick up (which runs your oddo) being well out. Either because it's defective, or maybe your gearing isn't stock.

Didn't say I was riding in a "normal" fashion. Not sure what "normal" is. Pretty sure your normal isn't my normal. I rode motorcycle courier for over a decade back in the 70's and early 80's. When full time, that was 40 hrs per week with over 1,000 miles per week. Some weeks were more like 60 hours, some less then 40. So my riding habits were developed during that period, mostly. No way they are going to be the same as "normal" riders.
There are no silver bullets. Good gas milage is a bunch of little things that add a fraction of a mile per gallon. Be it Imperial, US, Australian or South Googoflop hole in the bucket dam this 5hit is wet gallon. :confused:
I'm no special snowflake. You can get amazing gas miliage, you just gotta wanna. I suspect that if I ran around town playing Jr. Rocket Jockey, my milage would be no different then yours. And if you focused on riding smooth, your milage would be the same as mine. Think 'smooth', not cautious.
I have stock teeth on both sprockets. I have no speedo thingie. My wrenching skills tend more toward enthusiasm then talent or ability.

Liter vs. litre - Grammarist

Read 'em and weep. Liter is AMERICAN for litre. Remember, England and America are two great nations separated by a common language.:rockon:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
And color is American for colour. It's still wrong.

I'll just leave you to pull MPG figures out of your hat, as it's obvious you have no concept of what these bikes are capable of, or what they're designed for.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
^ This is a petty argument guys, go for a ride and cool off.

Back on topic, still looking for a decent pair of mirrors that aren't $$$$$$ Rizomas.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided to wait to install the FZ1 bar before I figure out whether I'll go with generic bar clamps or try to drill/ tap the MC hole and figure something out for the clutch side. Of course it would help if the boats site actually shipped the thing :rolleyes:. It sucks that its suck a pain in the @$$ to convert to an OEM style FZ6N bar mounted mirror setup without getting into importing.

I still haven't touched the bike since that night, and I'm actually kind of happy this happened at the end of the day. I know you might be thinking :confused: but I've been riding the Fizzer a LOT since I bought it and don't get me wrong its been a BLAST :thumbup: except for my run in with the NYPD :rolleyes:. BUT I'm getting a lot done on the business front so it turned out to be a good thing at the end of the day, after all money buys more toys :D

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the bar on Saturday, decided to get to work on it this morning!

Old vs new:

Decided to just keep the bar end mirrors since they fit well anyway, I'm wondering if vibration will be decreased now that I have the stock bar ends on.

The larger dent from the douche that knocked it over, about nickel size:

All in all, it took me about 3 hours to do. I lubed all my cable and struggled with the clutch for a little bit. I'm also a perfectionist so I took my time adjusting and measuring everything nicely. I just took it up and down the block a few times and cleaned + lubed the chain. First impressions- I wish I could twist the bar downward, I feel like it'd be perfect for me. But as it is I have it as close as possible with it coming about 2mm from the tank when it hits the steering stops. Seems like it'll be more comfortable on the highway, and I'll still be able to get in a lower position without much effort if I want to.

Thanks for all the help guys! Now back to riding- incident free for a while I hope :rockon:

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the straighter angle, do the FZ1 bars not have the rise of the FZ6 bars? Thus their closer to the tank?

Yes, no rise so they come very close to the tank unless you have them exactly horizontal. The angle is also better on the wrists IIRC, on the stock FZ6 I saw complaints that there was more of a backwards sweep forcing your wrists inward.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd give a quick little update after some more time with the FZ1 bar. I'm getting close to 4000 miles, still haven't dropped the bike or had any situation where I felt I was not in control :thumbup:

So what I'm realizing with the FZ1 bar is that my neck is getting strained from cruising at 75+ on the highway. I have to scoot all the way back in the seat and slouch forward with my helmet pointed forward to minimize this. My hands no longer go numb from vibration, and its slightly easier on my wrists. I feel like I have more control now, I can flick the bike harder and comfortably lean more.

I also got an all time high of 44mpg on a mostly highway tank (Surprising because I had quite a few WOT bursts). Loving my Fizzer! :D

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to catch a flat in my own driveway thanks to a nail :rolleyes:

So I bought some Michelin PR3's, man what a difference!!! My old Pirelli's were way flattened out in the center, this made them feel like a car tire and not want to lean at all. Not only can I lean way more now, but they feel a lot more grippy.

Aligning was a bit of a pain but it tracks nice and straight:

I also fabbed up an undertail plate bracket. It always bothered be how my plate would stick out at the back, especially with those auxiliary brake flashers. I suppose I'll have to see if I get pulled over for having the plate like this, its still visible standing behind it.