New to the game

DriftProjectR

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys,
i just purchased my first bike, 06 FZ6, it has the traditional yamaha blue.

im happy to say that i enjoy riding very much, i have some the most fun ridding my new bike. i see things differently now.

anyways im glad to be apart of the club. i sohuld have some work done to my bike soon.

hopefully i can meet some people from the las vegas area i can go riding with.

thanks,
joseph nacion

DriftProjectR

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a quick question. i went out riding today and noticed that i was having trouble upshifting in gears. sometimes it wont go into 3rd or 4th gear, i had to downshift and upshift twice just to get it into the right gear.

i went to a local shop (racers edge) to have them check it out. the guy said it was fine, but my clutch lever was really nasty and wasn't engaging properly. he adjusted it, they also adjusted the chain and sproket.

after i left, i tried taking the long way home to see how it worked. it seemed like it was hit and miss. sometimes it would go into gear easy, and other times it wasn't that easy.

my question do you guys have any suggestions on what the problem is? is it me, or is it something mechanical like the clutch? the mechanic said it was fine, but the bike feels different to me. :confused:

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
the trannys can be touchy on these. Try adjusting the clutch cable and repositioning it. Down at the tranny is another connection you could check as well. Might be the lever not pulling the clutch out far enough but the lever and the tranny connection are the only places you can adjust that. I and many others here would also recomment after market levers.

Enjoy the ride, modding is addicting

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another Vegas FZ6? Welcome. Looks like you and I have the same bike. Color and year, just different mods.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome :welcome:

yea every once in a while i have issues with the clutch and tranny.. but nothing to make me ever worry.. just make sure you check all the lines and fluids to make sure its in tip-top shape.. when in doubt, bring it to someone that works on bike and ask them to do a one over on the bike..

oh and post up some pictures when you get a chance :thumbup:

Ride Safe

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I hope you enjoy your bike and don't let the mod monkey bite you too hard after reading things on this forum :thumbup:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Sin City, eh? I'm jealous because you can probably ride today, but it's snowing here in Denver.

Is the problem the shifter won't physically go into 3rd/4th? Or more resistance when shifting into 3rd/4th?

I had a similar problem during upshifts in that I had difficulty lifting my foot to move the lever to it's upmost position and would occasionally hit neutral during a 1st to 2nd gear shift. I ended up repositioning the shift lever downward. Nothing dramatic to where it's going to drag the ground, just a 1/4" downward. I've never missed a shift since. It's one of my favorite mods! :rockon:

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
I was experiencing the same problem shifting into 3rd. I tried adjusting the shift lever with no success. I ended up taking the bike to the shop. They adjusted the shift lever and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I haven't had any problems since.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Try preloading the shifter (slight pressure from your foot on the shifter toward the next gear) before you shift.You may just need a change in shifting technic

DriftProjectR

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks everyone for the great replies. will try to buy some aftermarket levers. i rode my firends cbr and he said that after he changed his levers it was a totally different bike. my nest mod for sure.
Another Vegas FZ6? Welcome. Looks like you and I have the same bike. Color and year, just different mods.
hey vegas rider. we should go ridding sometime.

thanks again everyone!