newbie advice

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No mid range, I guess from 50 mph in 6th gear for a traditional roll on test...simply down shift two gears and hit it, no worries.

This weekend I toured two up with full saddle bags, not problems with power at all.

That Viper sure had a surprised look on his face as we blasted by!

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I with everyone here would say be carefull untill you have some miles under your belt on whatevery bike you are going to ride.

I have had 10 plus bikes, and must say that a stock FZ6 has all that you will be looking for in a sport bike. Unless your are wanting to do a lot of wheelies, this is the only thing that the FZ6 doesn't do well stock....which isn't all that of a bad thing, because it is a pretty dangerous stunt. Although if this is something that interests you a cheap sprocket change will do the trick.

The only thing that this bike doesn't have that would be nice besides a helmet lock (pre '08) is the hard saddle bags and back rest that my Venture Royal had, but then it isn't a touring bike, so as expected.

My FZ6 is very fast in the high RPMs and I haven't found the top end my self, it is higher than I really want/need to go. I was concerned about this when I was looking for a bike...that a 600 wouldn't have the umph that I was looking for, but I have never been left wanting. :)

Ben

H

HavBlue

Also... to add to this.... without a PCIII or something similar, the rev limiter will stop you at 13.3 to 13.5k RPM anyway. A little Yammie safety valve.

Unless my tach is off by 1,000 rpm or so the 2004 pops off at just over 14K which as it turns out is real close to 70mph in 1st gear. God I love this little bike...... they need a zoom zoom commercial for the FZ6......

H

HavBlue

No mid range, I guess from 50 mph in 6th gear for a traditional roll on test...simply down shift two gears and hit it, no worries.

I totally agree with you here Pete. I hold mine back and will run 3rd gear well up above 50mph. Heck, at 40mph in 3rd gear I am just under 5K and as we both know that is nothing for a bike that peaks at 12.5K. Fourth gear at 80mph with the stock 16/46 gearing is only 8,000rpm and that puppy is ready for launch to the century mark and beyond before needing 5th. The FZ6 is a well rounded machine and yes, it does love rpm but this does not mean a rider can't putz it around. It just means you need to understand that while putzing you "will" need to do some shifting to get it up on the pipe.

Man, a 6th gear roll on at 50mph??????? That would suck for sure..... Hah, no problem, blurp that thing and go for third.... That will get it done.

Charlie

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:Great replies thus far, The FZ is my 6th bike and a far cry from my first bike GS550 a great bike to learn on. As for the question of mid range pull I agree with one persons response, Its all up to the rider. Every bike has its "sweet spot" and you just have to know your bike and what it can do and how to make it do it. As for a bike for a newbie, It really depends on the person. I have taught a few people how to ride. And what it comes down to, atleast in my opinion, is confidence. If a person wants to ride but is a little timid i say ninja 250 or something of 500 600 lightweight bike range. If one if confident and sure of themselves then its open to whatever they desire. I have always felt that and said, the bike will only go as fast as you will make it go. Know how to work the clutch, throttle and brake. And most importantly learn how to react in emergency situations, ie. dont tense up and close your eyes. What I have learned about the fz so far is that it loves to be reved out and the power band is somewhere in the 5000 and above range. Then again its only been a week and 300 miles....

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If DAS is your only experience of riding a bike then maybe you would be best served by getting something a little less powerful.
You need to get the feel of riding and learning to control the machine and then stepping up.
Going from an ER5 to the FZ6 is a bit like going from a micra to BMW M series, they are worlds apart.
A lot of US riders including members of this forum really rate the ninja 250 as a good start out bike and it has just been launched over here.
Jumping from no experience to a 140+ mph bike is quite a leap and you will not need to worry about finding mid range power for a while yet. When you have the skill and experience required you will have no trouble finding all the power you need on an FZ6 (and more).

I make no apology for sounding like a wet blanket; because the list of riders down gets disturbingly longer all the time and nobody on this site wants you to join that list.

If after all this you still want an FZ6 then just take it easy and grow into the bike. Ride for yourself and not other peoples expectations. Avoid group rides until you have at least 1000 miles under your belt as group rides often exert peer pressure to keep up which can lead to inexperienced riders having problems.

Wolfram

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day from downunder! This is my first post even I joined two months ago.

I felt like to share my story regards to newbie(oldgit fz) on FZ6!

I've read sportrider_fz6 post few weeks back, excellent write-up! :thumbup:

....however........I bought mine 04' model six months ago as 'first bike'.

Since my teens I've ridden varies dirt bikes (not on road...with traffic anyway) Last year when I finally decided to get my bike license...none of my friends have a learner legal bike.....road bike anyway :(

I didn't want to buy a learner legal bike at the time, (coz due to my age and years of driving experience...the law here says once i passed the test, i get a full bike license....Good to be 'old' for once:eek:) The best thing i managed to borrow for a month was a Yammy Aerox100 scooter! However, the 'road experience' i gained from riding the scooter was very valuable...even just for a month...I managed to clocked 1200+km on a scooter in a month. (I did mine test on the scooter too....which made it extremely easy yet fun)

Before I got the FZ6, i also looked at several others:ER6;ZXR636;R6;Z750;GS500;etc
But the FZ6 suit my needs the most.(communing, occasional weekend rides and to keep for at least 24months to build up skills)

In the first two weeks I had the bike, I only rode it within 5km from my place, 1-1.5hours at a time, just to get to 'know' the bike. Even after riding some monster 2-stroke dirt bikes which are almost capable to rip your arm off; I can assure you riding on the road is very different.

Once I learned the bike, I started to ride to work, as I'm familiar with those roads and traffic conditions. I built my skills and confidence from there on. (just because I have ridden dirt bikes on and off for almost twenty years, doesn't mean I know how to ride in traffic!)

FZ6 is a easy riding and forgiving bike, provided you ride it accordingly -'easy n gentle'! As many have mentioned, beyond 7k-8k revs...its sport heritage will jump out and bite; if you aren't ready or have the confidence and skills.....you'll be sorry.

The FZ6 is very capable and it is unlikely newbie will get bore with it within 24months. However, newbie must restrain their ego and urge to explore this bike too soon...(actually any bike for this matter) Most experience riders(I confess I'm not) here will tell you they are still exploring their FZ6 (this part inc. me).

No matter what you get...remember this:-

"Riding is a life long learning experience, the key is to prolong your life to gain the experience and skills."

Safe Riding! :Sport:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Since my teens I've ridden varies dirt bikes (not on road...with traffic anyway) Last year when I finally decided to get my bike license...none of my friends have a learner legal bike.....road bike anyway :(

I didn't want to buy a learner legal bike at the time, (coz due to my age and years of driving experience...the law here says once i passed the test, i get a full bike license....Good to be 'old' for once:eek:) The best thing i managed to borrow for a month was a Yammy Aerox100 scooter! However, the 'road experience' i gained from riding the scooter was very valuable...even just for a month...I managed to clocked 1200+km on a scooter in a month. (I did mine test on the scooter too....which made it extremely easy yet fun)

Before I got the FZ6, i also looked at several others:ER6;ZXR636;R6;Z750;GS500;etc
But the FZ6 suit my needs the most.(communing, occasional weekend rides and to keep for at least 24months to build up skills)

In the first two weeks I had the bike, I only rode it within 5km from my place, 1-1.5hours at a time, just to get to 'know' the bike. Even after riding some monster 2-stroke dirt bikes which are almost capable to rip your arm off; I can assure you riding on the road is very different.

Once I learned the bike, I started to ride to work, as I'm familiar with those roads and traffic conditions. I built my skills and confidence from there on. (just because I have ridden dirt bikes on and off for almost twenty years, doesn't mean I know how to ride in traffic!)

FZ6 is a easy riding and forgiving bike, provided you ride it accordingly -'easy n gentle'! As many have mentioned, beyond 7k-8k revs...its sport heritage will jump out and bite; if you aren't ready or have the confidence and skills.....you'll be sorry.

The FZ6 is very capable and it is unlikely newbie will get bore with it within 24months. However, newbie must restrain their ego and urge to explore this bike too soon...(actually any bike for this matter) Most experience riders(I confess I'm not) here will tell you they are still exploring their FZ6 (this part inc. me).

No matter what you get...remember this:-

"Riding is a life long learning experience, the key is to prolong your life to gain the experience and skills."

Excellent post Mate and welcome.

Nelly

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nice write up Wolfram, welcome to the forum, have fun and ride safe :thumbup: