nice 2nd 3rd gear FZ6 wheelies

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh i LOVE wheelies!

i have gone down 1 on the front sprocket and sitting down cant do a third gear wheelie, BUT i can do 4th gear stand up wheelies :jawdrop:

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhh i LOVE wheelies!

i have gone down 1 on the front sprocket and sitting down cant do a third gear wheelie, BUT i can do 4th gear stand up wheelies :jawdrop:

!!!

so with your sprocket set up how fast are you going with a 4th gear wheelie?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
is he using the clutchless shift method? i love doing it while still on two wheels, but in a wheelie? maybe one day...

thats pretty much how its done on a wheelie,,i used to do it with my vstrom, never tried on the fz....
no need for a clutch...in fact the method is as soon as you get the front up,you keep applying pressure to the shifter and all you need to do is to let the throttle off for a sec and it will pop in to second by itself and twist the throttle back on..
wish i could do it as easy as i wrote it here :D i just dont want to ruin the front wheel bearings and the chain by practicing with the fz,,plus there is always a risk to flip the bike,,big trouble then....happened to me with my zzr250,,,taillight broken,,,tons of scratches,handlebar and right foot peg was also broken...

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
thats pretty much how its done on a wheelie,,i used to do it with my vstrom, never tried on the fz....
no need for a clutch...in fact the method is as soon as you get the front up,you keep applying pressure to the shifter and all you need to do is to let the throttle off for a sec and it will pop in to second by itself and twist the throttle back on..
wish i could do it as easy as i wrote it here :D i just dont want to ruin the front wheel bearings and the chain by practicing with the fz,,plus there is always a risk to flip the bike,,big trouble then....happened to me with my zzr250,,,taillight broken,,,tons of scratches,handlebar and right foot peg was also broken...

I have heard arguements on both sides of the fence about how hard wheelies are on a bike...

with that said isn't there something you can do (maybe a question for the stunters) to improve the chain , front bearing thing and what ever else gets stressed from doing wheelies?

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard arguements on both sides of the fence about how hard wheelies are on a bike...

with that said isn't there something you can do (maybe a question for the stunters) to improve the chain , front bearing thing and what ever else gets stressed from doing wheelies?

im not a stunter at all (not yet at least :D ) but the stunting setup for the bike is very different,,,the 56 to 60 tooth rear sprocket is the key for the slow 90degree wheelies,,,,the chain doesnt even get stressed by doing it,,as soon as you twist the throttle the front comes up...and you are supposed to not to let the throttle go when the bike comes down from the wheelie...that way it smooths out the drop and protects the bearings...in theory they are awesome tips but i've tried a lot and practicing a wheelie is very harmful for the bike...

just because of stopping from 40-50 mph and trying another wheelie over and over again,,heats up the brakes to a point where you can smell the pads burning...its not always possible to not to let the throttle go while coming down from a wheelie,,,the stunters are used to it and they can do it easily every time,,,,i bet they ruined couple of bearings and shock seals when they were newbies...

it is fun to try but painful for the bike...thats why i only do it once in a while with my baby FZ even though i want a wheelie every time i take off :)

im in the process of buying a crf50 for wheelie practices,,it seems like it is the key bike for the stunters for practice before jumping on a big bike

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's me and a couple buddies doing some wheelies
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=dzutpRtIi1Q"]YouTube - ATWOOD 7.28.08[/ame]
its much easier to do without the front fairing on the FZ6

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i found this on youtube but there was another link for a better quality video,so im posting that link,,,seriously the video quality is great for an online video....
i like the wheelies close to the end,,,,just wanted to share :thumbup:

yamaha fazer fz6 wheelie on Vimeo
Very nice video mate,
A perfect demonstration that the FZ6 is more than capable of hanging with the big boys.
Also a great demonstartion of throttle and clutch control, perfect!

Nelly

ps I am still crap at wheelies but I can do a tight turn with my feet on the pegs lol.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ahh I'm going to get flamed for that aren't i ? :spank:

Only if you can't provide photographic proof lol.

Oh no I'm gona get flamed for encouraging you :spank::spank::spank:so do it on a private stretch of tarmac wearing all your gear.

Nelly

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
If i ever get my poor FZ back from the shop ( i was supposed to have it back today, but will b next week sometime). I will have to post a video or two, i guess its too late to make it anonymous:rolleyes:

I have to give the FZ credit it makes a sweet stunt bike, so easy to wheelie ! :rockon:

Reaction score
Visit site
is popping the clutch really the "easiest" way to get the front end up..i've still yet to even try it on either of my bikes i'm i have the worst luck and don't feel like loosing a bike haha

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
is popping the clutch really the \\"easiest\\" way to get the front end up..i've still yet to even try it on either of my bikes i'm i have the worst luck and don't feel like loosing a bike haha

I would say clutching is easier if you get the hang of it. You can always do 1st gear wheelies. In second on most bikes (600cc) you need to bounce them up (suspension). The only time I liked bringing the front end up comfortably, was when I had a carbed vtwin. It just seemed easier than on a 4cyl FI motor.

I

inkrediboy

I picked up my front end 2 weeks ago while handing a GSXR Rider his anus at the stop light. I know stupid and irresponsible, but dam, I will remember that first time always. Had a Hooters beer and wings to celebrate right afterwards :)!!!

The fact is, it was unintentional, and reminded me of who's boss after I stopped smiling. It was 2nd gear madness!

I softened my suspension quite a bit for daily commuting when I got this bike, so I have a very cush ride, which makes picking up the front end difficult (which really is a good thing in the end). New R1's also have fly by wire, in which the power to rear wheel is controlled by the computer sensor guaging your speed and momentum on the throttle open - then delivering a proper amount of output. It makes for a very very smooth and safe delivery of power through this algorithm, but also takes away from its ability to wheelie.

However, I admit I have tried a few times on empty roads going into Baldy Canyons and can't do it on purpose, and can't help but feel once dropping the clutch after revving the tach to the 10 scares the crap out of me.

Its not safe - but sh---t, if candy land riding was what we were looking for - I would have gotten a scooter.

Till then I wil race my way around to bliss. This riding business is truly an obsession.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome video man! Thanks for that.. not nearly enough "safe" squidly video action on the fizzer on the net.

I'm by not means a stunter.. but come on you can't ride a sportbike w/o the urge to wheelie every now and then. I can wheelie the fz6 in first without any effort and ride it out until first redlines (~65mph indicated) Dropping the cluth is the safest method imo. Powering up is jerky and uncontrollable to me.

I can't for the life of me switch into 2nd while ridding a wheelie though.. nor get the front end up more than about 8 inches in second. I'm not going to try bouncing the suspension that just seems unwise. I'm a big guy so I'm sure you can keep it up.. and probalby get it up :thumbup: in 2nd, but I can't imagine the stock gearing keeping it up at 3rd unless you where perfectly balanced at about a 47 degree angle.

His speedo was in KM/H, I don't think there is anyway that's stock gearing. 168km/h =104mph indicated.. so ~96mph (stock 8% error).. that sure didn't look like 96mph to me.

Stoppies on the otherhand I've yet to master... bit it a few times trying to learn (on a beat up 250 no the fizzer). Too much air pressure in the front tire = bad.

demilus

Reaction score
Visit site
In the second video posted, did he even use the clutch on the fz6 or were they just first gear power-wheelies?

Man I gotta get a dirtbike to get rid of the wheelie urge :squid:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So who can get it up this high?

yamaha-fz6-04-bikepics-169560.jpg