NO gears.....any ideas....

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
So...was going easy on the bike with a passenger and it started clunkin-ish..so I coasted to the stop sign and put it back in first and let the clutch out and still no go...not in any gears..nothing..so I pushed it home..haha..hard to describe really..but..I can run through all gears and it doesn't matter if the clutch is pulled or not it doesn't engage...I can roll the tire/bike with it in all 6 gears...it does make a clunking like sound...I've been told to check the clutch/basket first....Most people I talked to said the tranny's are very hard to break...plus if it was the tranny, I wouldn't be able to get into some gears most likely....so I'm hoping the its something in the clutch...the clutch lever still pulls the same..it does need to be lubed which will be happening soon but it shouldn't affect it this way...hopefully something simple...simple-ish....any more ideas we welcome!!

Thanks guys!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the cover off where the front sprocket is and see if it has come off, not sure if this can happen without causing big problems but ya never know.

Jerry

^^^^First thing I would look at.^^^^^^
There was a recall on the front sprocket assembly. Can probably search it out on the forum. If that's what it is and you fix it make sure you get the replacement lock washer and carefully inspect the chain for any damage.

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
Your right...some where along the way the nut came off holding that front sprocket on.....PHEW! hopefully it didn't eat it up to bad..gonna loosen the tire and take the sprocket off and inspect it and the shaft and then find a nut for it.....thanks guys!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
If there was a recall on this, maybe you can get some of these repairs covered by Yamaha. I'd call up the local stealership and ask before wrenching it yourself. At least get the parts for free if you're looking to do it yourself.:rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's not under recall:

I'm looking at a breakdown of the output shaft and looking at parts 33,34, and 35 in looks like the is no keyed washer!?!?! Should be! Or a castle nut with a cotter pin would be nice!

Inspect the spline groves in the the output shaft and the sprocket for damage as the sprocket left the shaft. You might need to use a small triangular riffle file the clean up the end if the shaft if it got boogered. Same with the sprocket.
Inspect all of the links in the change for a bent link or stiff joint. Replace if damaged. Loosing a chain can be really dangerous.

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's not under recall:

I'm looking at a breakdown of the output shaft and looking at parts 33,34, and 35 in looks like the is no keyed washer!?!?! Should be! Or a castle nut with a cotter pin would be nice!

Inspect the spline groves in the the output shaft and the sprocket for damage as the sprocket left the shaft. You might need to use a small triangular riffle file the clean up the end if the shaft if it got boogered. Same with the sprocket.
Inspect all of the links in the change for a bent link or stiff joint. Replace if damaged. Loosing a chain can be really dangerous.

definetly will be inspecting it all as I put it back together!! Just sucks it has to wait till Tuesday..both the bike shops in town are closed Mondays...WTF?!! and I doubt the other Yamaha Dealership will have that part in stock.....dangit!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you found it.
I don't know but I suspect the end of the shaft is hardened, thus a file may do very little to it.

I'd put a new gear on it for certain as its cheap insurance that it'll fit tighter than the one that came off as the last thing you want is freeplay and the shaft to get damaged.

Also, is the case around the area damaged? Are there wear marks vs cracks where the chain may have been bound up? If you see cracks in the case I'd also check the shaft for run-out.

Glad you got off the road safely with this one. . .