No more silver forks!!!

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
I painted my 2006 forks black today.:rockon: I have always hated the silver forks, and can't seem to find a decent set of r6 forks in my price range, so I painted mine. They came out really good I think. The price was certainly right. $4 can of Krylon satin black. I haven't put everything back on yet because I'm also painting the front fender. I bought a rattle can of Color-Rite Blue to match my bike. That fender was the other thing that irked me.

Great job! You're right, the '06 with the black frame BEGS for black forks! Well done!

I'm so jealous...I have been wanted to do that since I got my bike(2 weeks ago) but my mechanic buddy said he's getting a powder coating machine, so I might wait a bit and see if he gets it soon enough. Can you say free powder coating! WooHoo!:D

Any tips on getting the fornt wheel off??? I couldn't find an allen wrench that big for the axle nut!! lol

I used a 3/4 or 19mm head bolt and two nuts (locked together like taking out head studs) to unscrew the axle. Make sure the pinch bolts are loose.

or you could just buy the correct tool :rolleyes: but I am wayyyy to cheap for that!

How did u paint it?

Elaborate on this a little for me.....

looks like he left the forks on the bike (or in the triple tree)

I hope he sanded some,then cleaned with alcohol or prep wipe,

maybe primer?

paint in light even coats, let it tack up some before re-coating (or follow directions on can) :thumbup:

looks great! I've seen a photo of the allen wrench for that thing and it's HUGE! It's lurking on the forum somewhere. I'll probably get one. The front forks will be my next mod since it's cheap enough unlike most other things haha

I got a 19mm socket from msmastercarr for like $17. Better get a socket and use a torque wrench than using an allen's wrench.

That looks good. I've been wanting to do the same thing. I've actually got a set of r6 forks waiting to go on the bike that I want to paint or powdercoat black. I'm hesitant to simply spray paint them as it seems like it could chip really easily. But then again, since the paint is cheap it'd be easy enough to just squirt 'em again...

Motion pro makes a tool that fits the axle. But it's expensive as heck. I think that I paid the better part of $30 for it. But I like it in that it fits a 3/8" ratchet and will actually fit multiple sizes.

View attachment 14248

I bought a $20 thingy at Cyclegear to get the wheel off. It's made by Motrax, and has 19mm/22mm/24mm on it. Pretty much the same thing as the black one that was posted on here. here's a pic. Not sure why it's not on their site though.

Last edited:
Update:

Last year I painted my forks with just satin black sparypaint. After a year of riding, it didn't hold up well and the fronts of the forks received lots of small stone chips.

So I sanded them down again, applied a base of primer, then 3 light coats of satin black spray paint. This time I wanted to clear coat them.

I went down to my local automotice paint supply store, fully expecting to buy the standard 2 part, mix and spary clear coat that I've used in the past. Well he shows me some automotive clear coat in a rattle can!! Was like $7.00.

Bought some and followed the directions and applied 3 light coats. Dried perfect with a nice hard shine!!! I was really impressed for a clear coat in a can!!

I HIGHLY recommend that you use some form of clear coating on any parts that you paint on your bike!

Back