Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Too much speed

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So coming back from MotoGP, I think I leaned the most I ever have before coming down highway 1 (PCH for us SoCalers)

I came in hot on a downhill turn, got my butt off the bike for the right hander...I leaned...got scared that I was leaning too far (no boot or knee scrapage though).

Naturally, I did the stupid thing and attempted to bail the turn by righting myself until I saw the double yellow and knew if a car came round while i crossed, I was toast. So I braked and most likely got lucky by coming out just fine, and kept up the pace for the rest of the turns...

Just wondering if most likely this was me getting scared of doing a lowside...

Waddya think?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
what? I can't tell exactly what you're asking but...

always stay committed. can you describe exactly what was happening when you "came in hot"? That is, what kind of inputs were you making and where were you looking?

try not to take anyone out

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
When i get into a corner to hot, I try not to panic and bring the bike up, you will go straight. I countersteer harder, and go faster, youll get through the turn safe, just a scary moment.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you fixate in the corner? If so remember to look ALLLL the way through the corner.

W

wrightme43

Get and read and practice Keith Code's twist of the wrist II. Not one but two. 9 times out of ten you can make it thru the corner just fine. I screwed all the way up and picked out one of the tenth times and crashed. My fault. Had I stood it up and braked I would of been upright and at speed into oncoming. I made the decision to lay it in further a long time ago, and stuck with it. Its the lesser of two evils most of the time. It turns out that time there was no oncoming and standing it up probley would of worked. Its hard to tell for me. I will still stick to the lean it in further school of thought.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yup, I usually try to look through the turn with my head up looking for the straightaway or next turn, but I was looking at the middle.

for further info: 160 degree right hand turn. Correctly banked road. Downhill. I've only been riding 2 years so I don't claim to be good by any standards...I'm usually the slow one.
I was following a guy who would shift his weight and I realized I could do it too. I felt soo much better in tighter turns by hanging a little off the bike.

I think I just get scared that I'm going to scrape a peg which will jump the bike and cause a crash...if I scrape pegs, the bike isn't going to slide out yet....right?

fyi: I wasn't going faster than 35mph around this turn...it was just a tight nearly 180 turn.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yup, I usually try to look through the turn with my head up looking for the straightaway or next turn, but I was looking at the middle.

for further info: 160 degree right hand turn. Correctly banked road. Downhill. I've only been riding 2 years so I don't claim to be good by any standards...I'm usually the slow one.
I was following a guy who would shift his weight and I realized I could do it too. I felt soo much better in tighter turns by hanging a little off the bike.

I think I just get scared that I'm going to scrape a peg which will jump the bike and cause a crash...if I scrape pegs, the bike isn't going to slide out yet....right?

fyi: I wasn't going faster than 35mph around this turn...it was just a tight nearly 180 turn.

Nope, if you scrape peg you'll be fine. The pegs fold so it will just fold up a bit and leave a really cool mark on the road! :rockon:

W

wrightme43

Yep the peg scraping is fine. Just dont touch down the kickstand, or centerstand. I touched the centerstand and it just levered the rear tire up off the ground. I was pretty dang far over. To to to to far on the street, acting a fool, and could of paid with my life.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, I was just curious, because I was reading about a guy who was riding the track on a different bike and he leaned and caught the little knob under the peg that lets you know you're touching and it caught, jumped the rear, and caused a crash...now I don't plan on having peg scraping experiences ALL THE TIME, but just in case that canyon turn has me praying to jeebus to save my ass, should it grinded off or what?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Take the feelers off...they unscrew.

So when you *realized* you were hot, were you braking at that point? Before turn-in? After turn-in? Still downshifting? I'm just trying to get a better sense of when things went wrong.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I had finished braking, was in the proper gear and thought I had the right speed. So once I realized it, I started righting myself and started covering the brakes, which in turn righted me faster and scared me more.

That's when I let it go again, and dipped hard (not as far as right before) but definitely was shaken.

I think things went wrong with me not trusting the bike. I wasn't scraping pegs, or knee...never have and it scared me to see the ground so close. So I lost commitment. I think...

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I would really recommend a track day, that's where i learned that i was the weak link next to the fazer. It took me further down than i thought it would go, and apparently wasn't even trying.
When this happens o me i just lean harder, trust the bike, and LOOK where i need to be. Worked so far :cheer:

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you've found that your answer is fear. Fear can be a good thing though so you don't start outriding your experience level more than you should. Just take it easy and continue to progress. Hwy 1 may not be the best place to push your limits if you get my drift.

Glad you came out of it OK.