One more grip question....

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay - so I'm finally going to get around to installing my grip heaters this weekend. Since I got so much great advice on removing my current grips... just wondering if I need to purchase "grip adhesive" for putting the grips back on (over-top of the heat tape). I'm hoping to reuse the original grips, but I did buy a pack-up pair just in case...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get started on this... Thanks! :Flash:

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get grip-specific glue, but I always use contact adhesive. Whatever you do, don't use epoxy or super glue or you won't be able to clean it off the next time you change grips!

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing a little Google-ing, I think I'll just try the "hairspray" technique, also mentioned by a few people on here... I was just worried about the grips sliding around, but it sounds like they fit quite snugly, especially on the throttle side, so it shouldn't be a problem...

I'll try to take some pics of the process, since it's a pretty cheap mod ($35 bucks for the kit, and $15 for the extra grips, if I need them). And for those of you lucky enough to live in those southern climes where you don't NEED heated grips... please disregard. ;)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
how exactly to they work? are they wired to the electrical system?

No.

You first get some charcoal brickettes, spread them out on your BBQ or Hibatchi, squirt some lighter fluid on them and then light them on fire. Once they warm up and become red hot, you use a pair of salad tongs and take a few over to your bike. Then you unscrew your bar ends and insert 1 to 2 coals per side. They hot coals continue to burn slowly and in doing so, heat up your hand grips.

Of course this is all incorrect if you are using the newer thermonuclear carbon rod system. Then you just remove the thermonuclear rods from their protective housing (make sure to be wearing your Lvl. 5 Radiation Suit!!) and insert them into the handle bar for years and years of toasty warm mitts!

:rolleyes::banghead:

Yes, they are hooked up to the electrical of the bike.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay - so I'm finally going to get around to installing my grip heaters this weekend. Since I got so much great advice on removing my current grips... just wondering if I need to purchase "grip adhesive" for putting the grips back on (over-top of the heat tape). I'm hoping to reuse the original grips, but I did buy a pack-up pair just in case...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get started on this... Thanks! :Flash:
Hey Whirly,
Jonac has some under heated grip tape kinda gadet. I had the oppertunity of testing them last weekend. They were excellent. Very cheap compared to a full grip swap out.
PM Jonac for more details. It allows your stock grips to be retained to.

Nelly

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No.

You first get some charcoal brickettes, spread them out on your BBQ or Hibatchi, squirt some lighter fluid on them and then light them on fire. Once they warm up and become red hot, you use a pair of salad tongs and take a few over to your bike. Then you unscrew your bar ends and insert 1 to 2 coals per side. They hot coals continue to burn slowly and in doing so, heat up your hand grips.

I have never tried this!!! I am cheap so this could work, I think I would precut the brickettes to fit the inside diameter of the bar. Except I would have to tip the bike over to get the ashes out.;)

Sorry for getting off topic...

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
No.

Of course this is all incorrect if you are using the newer thermonuclear carbon rod system. Then you just remove the thermonuclear rods from their protective housing (make sure to be wearing your Lvl. 5 Radiation Suit!!) and insert them into the handle bar for years and years of toasty warm mitts!

Thanks for making me gag on the soda i was drinking, too funny:thumbup::D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be doing this at some point over the summer (before fall) because i ride when it is stupid cold out and warm hands would be nice...

Whirlygirl

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No.

I've actually had to switch over to an electrical-based system, due to the sudden shortage of thermonuclear rod "cast-offs" these days... Apparently there's a big demand in the medical field for radioactive isotopes, and hence my cold hands as of late....

I'll let you know how it goes...

Funny thing is, I still have a charcoal-powered "handwarmer" thingy from when I used to work up north... so really, the charcoal grip-warmer is not that far-fetched... :D:D:D

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only going to say this once. I invented this myself and if anyone disagrees, FINE! You can go off into a corner and suck your thumb. Take a rattle with you.

After removing your grips, take some typical dish-detergent (SUNLIGHT) and smear one/two drops on your finger. Smear a LIGHT coating of dish-detergent INSIDE the new grips you want to install. Slide them on. You have about 1 minute to shuffle the grip and adjust it the way you want. Wait one hour.

The DISH-DETERGENT will reactivate the old glue. Trust me, this works.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried soap once to slide grips on on one of my MTB's. Well it rained during a race and water must have seeped in under the grips. They spun loose which made for an interesting ride. Never used soap again. Honestly hairspray works well.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried soap once to slide grips on on one of my MTB's. Well it rained during a race and water must have seeped in under the grips. They spun loose which made for an interesting ride. Never used soap again. Honestly hairspray works well.

Too much, too little, wrong soap? I don't know. Each time I did it, there were no problems. Maybe I just have the MAGIC TOUCH??

H

HavBlue

I have always used hair spray to slid the new grips on and when it dries they will lock in place...

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering, the OEM grips seems pretty tough and hard, so if i install some ProGrip Gel ones will it help with the vibration? I ask because after a long ride with 2 other people, one with OEM grips and one with ProGrips, me (with my heated grips, hard texture) and the other rider with OEM our hands fell asleep or went numb a few times while the other rider didnt experience any of it, so could it be the grips?