opinions on possible buy

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Might buy an 08 CBR1000RR with 15k miles from a guy at work. He picked it up from where he used to live a few months ago and said he had some work to do on it then he'd be ready to ride with me. Today I asked him if he had it ready yet, to which he replied he didn't have the time energy or money to work on it and said he's considering just selling it.

Seems the following is what is wrong with it. It hasn't been started in almost 2 years. He said it did run, but he doesn't want to crank or start it until he does a full fuel purge. The brakes need replacing, the rear tire needs replacing, the rear rim is slightly bent, no vibrations but it causes a small leak. He says the front fairing needs replaced due to it being knocked over off the kickstand, (no other damage from the fall). I haven't looked at it yet but he's taking some pictures tonight. Says he'll sell it to me for 2.5k.

What other things should be checked on a bike that's been sitting for 2 years, (it was stored inside)? I figure the battery is probably dead, all fluids need to be flushed, chain and sprocket replacement, valve check/adjustment. As long as theres no hidden issues, I'm thinking I can get this thing back to "like new" for around 1k or so and its about a $6k bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your mechanically inclined and have the time, maybe but I don't think its worth that much..

To bend that rim, for the tire to leak, he hit something HARD. Anything else damaged from that, maybe get some details?
I'd be looking at the frame, steering head, etc REAL HARD for any cracks... He may not be hiding them but they may still be there...

Don't even bother with a fuel purge, the carb float bowls need to come off and all the varnish removed-that's a given.

Get prices on the fairing, stay, etc. I'm sure their not cheap. Is a used wheel available on Flea bay or do you have to buy it new (a small fortune)? $550 new: 2008 Honda CBR1000RR A REAR WHEEL | Babbitts Online

I would keep in mind, all the labor needed, at say $100 hour that it'll need (assuming your doing it all yourself).

I would figure that into the price. If he brought it to the shop to get it in the condition your looking at, between parts and labor,
$2500 seems a bit steep to me.... And that's with what you KNOW it needs, no surprises....

I'd be checking the engine oil, if its black, maintenance is probably very questionable....

Last edited:

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't necessarily mean that's what this bike was worth, just the low end of what I see these bikes are selling for. I wouldn't buy it without checking it out though. That's the the most expenses (known) things though, (fairing, wheel/tire), and I can get them for around $800. I would do all of the work myself. Hell, as long as it's not my primary bike or car I'm working on, I consider it fun. Don't think he's trying to be malicious about it or hide anything. He told me about everything it needed a year ago when he transferred here and we were taking about it, (with the exception of the fairing). Says he rode it up until he transferred. Who knows about maintenance, he's an aircraft electrician like me so he's got the aptitude and skills but you never know.

Maybe I'll see if he wants to trade it for a rifle.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Inquire if the front wheel was ever replaced. It seems odd to bend the rear and not have the front involved.

It doesn't seem unreasonable.
You might include a replacement fuel tank in your costs as you never know how rusty it may be.

Fwiw: several of the Hondas use the same Denso fuel pump body as our FZ6... and I'd certainly think an 08 is injected!

Can you pick one up for 3.5 in better condition?

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the rear wheel, found out it's not bent from being hit or wrecked. He didn't know until he sprayed soapy water on it to figure out where it kept leaking. Found the spot and saw the lip was barely noticeably bent out. He thinks the place that changed the tire last did it.

But yeah, it's fuel injected. According to Honda it's dual stage f.I., not exactly sure what that means. As far as other liter bikes around that price, the only things I see are an 02 vtr1000 ,(which I was very interested in until this came along), and an 04 fz1.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
There's an FZ1 for sale by a member here that's gorgeous (here in SW Florida). Custom Yamaha colors, after market pipe, and EXTREMELY REASONABLE that doesn't need anything.

Here ya go and I think he came down further on the price:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/sell-your-bike-car-truck/56388-2007-fz1-retro-5000-00-best-offer.html

I worked on his buddies bike and saw pic's of his bikes, pretty anal about their condition...

Thanks for looking out. Thats a nice bike and all, but my next one will have a full fairing and clip-ons. I went and looked at it today and was ready to buy it. Told him I'd bring the money and pick it up monday, but there was another guy at work looking for a bike that begged me to let him buy it instead. Told him I was willing to pay $2750 cash and that if he was able to work something out with the seller then I would relinquish my claim. He didn't have the money but offered $3k over 10 months which the owner took.

Lol, to tell you the truth, I have not-buyers remorse. Here in a few weeks I should know if I was saved from a terrible deal, or if I want to kick the bike over in the parking lot........I wouldn't do that?!?!?!?!?