Painted Rear Hugger

That looks really good. I painted my 06' red fz6 rear hugger, front fender and front turn signals with color rite paint. Mine looks a little off to depending on the lighting or angle... Sometimes it looks perfect, other times it looks like a different color. I think the texture of the plastic has alot to do with it. I still like it, good job, looks awsome!!!

Looks great, I wouldn't worry about the mismatch, who's going to notice when ya screaming down the road, they'll just think it looks awesome.

IMO, it looks the way it should, matches the front fender.. Should send some pics to Yamaha, maybe they'll include it on the new model...lol

:)

yeah, the price of Colorite sure is steep! Go to any autoparts store and, they will have OEM auto/truck color match spray for around $8.00. Too bad there's no motorcycle OEM color match paint at the local auto parts store. If I can't find a close color at Home Depot, etc., I'll just order the Colorite top spray can and buy plastic primer, and clear at a brick/mortar store around here. The hugger looks great! (where'd you get it?)

yeah, the price of Colorite sure is steep! Go to any autoparts store and, they will have OEM auto/truck color match spray for around $8.00. Too bad there's no motorcycle OEM color match paint at the local auto parts store. If I can't find a close color at Home Depot, etc., I'll just order the Colorite top spray can and buy plastic primer, and clear at a brick/mortar store around here.

Make sure the primer is a silver-gray color - it shows through the top-coat.

The hugger looks great! (where'd you get it?)
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I got the hugger from Stadium Yamaha. If that's all you want, it would probably be cheaper to buy it at your dealer. The Stadium Yamaha discount won't cover the shipping for a small order.

That is flippin' sweet. I'm there. I think that I'd stumbled across a pic of your bike earlier today and it really caught my eye. Any color difference is so subtle as to not be worth mention. Great job.

Did the body shop do both the hugger and the front fender? Did it take two cans on each fender?

As for the wheels stripes, what is the width of those stripes? Those look really wide. I just put on 1/8" reflective tape from these guys http://www.streetglo.net/streetglo_files/page0019.htm. Like you, I think that the red I got is a little off but I still like it. I applied it by hand and while it wasn't super easy, it wasn't as hard as I'd been led to believe it would be. My line is not absolutely perfect but it's fine for my tastes. Meh... From a standing posture, it looks fine. And it's tape. I can do it over. And I next time I may go to their narrowest -- 1/10".

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1158-wheel-stripe.jpg

Last edited:
Have been thinking of doing this on my black framed, orange FZ6, have seen it before on an fz6, gives the bike a more flowing look from front to back...great job, looks good in the red, colour difference is neglible from what i can see in photo's.

Am a bit worried that if i do this to my Orange tanked naked, it will end up looking like a big orange "lollipop"!

orange

That orange is gorgeous. Though I like my "arrest-me-red" just fine, I'm a big fan of orange.

Rather than paint the entire thing orange, how about giving it just some stripes on the sides, or just paint the flat sides. Subtle is nice... Hey, wait a minute, that's a good idea...

That is flippin' sweet. I'm there. I think that I'd stumbled across a pic of your bike earlier today and it really caught my eye. Any color difference is so subtle as to not be worth mention. Great job.

Thanks!

Did the body shop do both the hugger and the front fender? Did it take two cans on each fender?

The front fender on the '07 and '08 models comes from the factory color matched, no need to paint.

As for the wheels stripes, what is the width of those stripes? Those look really wide.

I'm pretty sure they are 6 mm, approximately 1/4". I have since redone the stripes with a slightly darker red version that looks better.

Re: orange

That orange is gorgeous. Though I like my "arrest-me-red" just fine, I'm a big fan of orange.

Rather than paint the entire thing orange, how about giving it just some stripes on the sides, or just paint the flat sides. Subtle is nice... Hey, wait a minute, that's a good idea...

Dont wanna hijack this thread, but...That's not a bad idea...maybe a reverse of the paint scheme on my tank, black front fender & rear hugger, with orange strips, and same for side pods. Aaaargh!, that's more money!

This paint mod is a lot simpler (no stripes), and works very well with the red, very classy.

:Flash:

I'm thinking about doing this myself to my red 2007 as well. What you've done here looks good to me. I'd say it was worth the effort.
BTW, where did you get the red rims stripe for your wheels?

I never expected to see this thread resurrected!

I'm thinking about doing this myself to my red 2007 as well. What you've done here looks good to me. I'd say it was worth the effort.

I think it looks better in pictures than it does in person. Or maybe I'm a perfectionist nutjob. Either way, it kind of pi$$es me off whenever I look at it. I'm pretty sure it's coming off next spring.

BTW, where did you get the red rims stripe for your wheels?

Pretty sure they came from a dealer on eBay. I'll see if I can find an e-mail or something and post back if I do.

Back