Performance loss

Entityoffire

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i ride a 2003 fz6 and recently ive noticed a big loss in performance. On the speed side of things. The bike is restricted as i only have an a2 license but my max speed was around 95 mph but over the last few weeks top speed has been dropping and the bike struggles to do 70. Also when i get to around 60 the bike feels kinda jumpy/wobbly any ideas on what may be causing this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the engine, burning any oil, any blue smoke out the exhaust, is the oil milky looking?

Did the bike sit for any lenth of time with a partially full tank, (especially without any fuel additive)?

Can you post a pic of your bike, its likely a 2004 model, but just so we're on the same page...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome!
^^ All good advice! You might also start the bike in a dark place and see if the ignition wires are throwing sparks off to adjacent wires or ground. When is the last time the spark plugs were inspected? Also look in the petrol tank for rust.

[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]. hi Scott!

Entityoffire

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the engine, burning any oil, any blue smoke out the exhaust, is the oil milky looking?

Did the bike sit for any lenth of time with a partially full tank, (especially without any fuel additive)?

Can you post a pic of your bike, its likely a 2004 model, but just so we're on the same page...

Bikes got just over 30000 miles on it. Not sure how long the bike was sitting for when i bought it (from a dealer). No blue smoke. Not sure how to check if its burning oil. Not sure how to check if the oil is milky it only has a viewing window and no dipstick.

Entityoffire

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi and welcome!
^^ All good advice! You might also start the bike in a dark place and see if the ignition wires are throwing sparks off to adjacent wires or ground. When is the last time the spark plugs were inspected? Also look in the petrol tank for rust.

[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]. hi Scott!

I have checked the sparkplugs and for a better word they are s**t. Have ordered new ones hopefully this solves the problem once i fit them. The one thing i actually know how to do lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have checked the sparkplugs and for a better word they are s**t. Have ordered new ones hopefully this solves the problem once i fit them. The one thing i actually know how to do lol

Can you please post some pictures of your bike and old spark plugs. How long have you had the bike and # of miles YOU'VE put on it.

If your engine doesn't have a dipstick, its NOT an S1 or S2 and something either a bit or alot different than whats on most of this forum...

Drain that engine oil if it looks milky, everytime you run it your likely causing much un-needed wear and tear...

Is the bike air or water cooled (radiator?)

Are you in the UK? There are NO 03 models listed (in the US Yamaha parts sites) so your bike is most likley a European version ONLY, Not available (with no help on this end ((US web sites)) re assembly/style/parts)...

Update, I believe its an air cooled bike (see below picture) so a coolant leak is a moot point... The moisture in the crankcase is likely just from sitting. I would change the oil /filter in either case, once the engines running, any left over moisture should be burned off once the engine gets hot...

If the bikes been sitting, old fuel, dump the fuel and put in fresh along with a fuel system cleaner (like Seafoam, Chevron techtron) and run it. Its very possible and likely some crap is in the carb's. Draining the carb float bowls into a small CLEAN container may reveal this.. If the jets are clogged badly, R&R of the entire carb assembly (comes out in one unit-ALL FOUR CARBS) may be necessary. Draining some fuel from the carbs MAY reveal WATER in the fuel (it'll separate) and cause issues.

Re the irregular ride, do a search here re tires, worn/loose head bearings and wheel alignment. All that would be very, very similar to the newer bikes.

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
There still is a radiator on that fazer! It is water cooled...

I think he must have the old FZS 600:

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/b...eviews/yamaha/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-1998-2004-/

Considering it has a carbed engine it might need a tuning, or rejetting, or any of those things people used to do before EFI.

I would say start by changing the plugs, oil, and do what scott mentionned. if it still runs like crap, the carbs might need work.
I am sure the is a forum equivalent dedicated to this bike though.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i ride a 2003 fz6 and recently ive noticed a big loss in performance. On the speed side of things. The bike is restricted as i only have an a2 license but my max speed was around 95 mph but over the last few weeks top speed has been dropping and the bike struggles to do 70. Also when i get to around 60 the bike feels kinda jumpy/wobbly any ideas on what may be causing this?

:welcome: to the forum.

Just checking, do you have a FZ6? I know one other person with a FZ6 registered in 2003 here's the thread. but generally everywhere else 2004 is the date the first FZ6's came out. It would be handy to know, of course we know much more about the FZ6 than any other bikes and of course....

:needpics:

:thumbup: