Pilot Road 2? or?

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm sorry for yet another "what tire should I get" thread but this will be my first new set of tires and I'm sort of clueless. The PR2's have great reviews all around and as such, I'm leaning towards them. However, lots of other tires have great reviews as well, continental conti motion's for example, like half the price but also have great reviews. And what is the difference between Pilot Road 2's and Pilot Power 2CT's. It seems, in other threads, people use them interchangeably but they are two different tires...I dunno I'm sure I'll be happy with any tire I get because right now I'm riding on stock tires that really shouldn't have even been sold with the bike. I was so distraced by how much I loved the bike, I didn't even look at the tires...(first bike, big mistake not checking that I know) Buuuuuut anyway, I'm ready to order some I just don't know if I should spend the money on the PR2's or settle for something cheaper that willl still be worlds better than what I have! Oh I plan on commuting to work (60 miles round trip highway daily), and weekend country road twistiness so something dual compound would be the direction to go in, correct? Well, thanks in advance for the help :thumbup:

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Raptorman! I found some good prices at compacc.com, cheapest price I could find! I'm gonna just go ahead and pull the trigger on the PR2's. Many on here have spoken very highly of them, I'm sure I'll be impressed. I guess it's just a kind of important and pricey purchase so I'm just hesitant that's all. I won't pass insection with these tires lol so I just have to do it! Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it! :rockon:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Both tires are dual compound. The Pilot Road 2's are a sport touring tire while the Pilot Power 2's are sport tires. From my limited knowledge think the Power has soft on the sides and medium in the center while the Road had medium on the sides and harder in the center. When at the races I talk to the tire folks about what are good tires - they are usually pretty up on the sport tires. The Michelin dealer suggested going with a Pilot Road 2 on the rear and a Pilot Power 2 on the front. Would have a little more dry traction up front for braking but went with the Road 2 (which lasts thru 2 rears) for better wet traction as I commute and ride in the rain from time to time.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Power is a softer compound- you don't need them. The Pilot Road 2's last way longer, I've been running PR2's for 50,000 miles on my FJR , FZ6(sold) and now my FZ1.
Love them even more than Humpty likes his 8's.

chnordiste

Reaction score
Visit site
I've mount a Pilot Road 2 on rear wheel and Pilot Road 3 on front (I had Dunlop qualifier 1 before).
It change completely the bike’s feeling.
I feel a great improve of leaning control and grip (I’ve used this set on racetrack)

But, in my case, it make the bike very sensitive of air turbulence. If I don’t stretch out on the tank then I’ve got shimmy issues at high speed (170km/h ~105mph), it’s not dangerous because it’s slight but very unpleasant.
This problem seems to concern only the naked roadsters.

There a small video of what I mean
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QYX77tW4WY"]louvoiement - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I run the Pilot road 2 on my FZ6 and the Pilot road on my R1150RT. A friend is running Pirelli Angel's on his Ducati and also loves those.

I am getting very good handling and wear out of them and would recommend any of these three.

Marc

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions :rockon: I bought the pilot road 2's front and rear! I'm excited to see what it feels like to ride on tires that aren't square and actually have some grip! I haven't noticed much slipping or anything but I've been taking it easy knowing my tires will not hold if I hit any kind of sand or wet or if I lean her too much, can't wait to feel what it's like having new tires! sO thanks again everyone!