Plastic Grp Bar Thingy Questions

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

Was pulling the bike apart yesterday and found out that the grip handles on the rear seem to weigh quite a bit so can anyone tell me where I can find one of these so that I can then butcher and grid down instead of my original :) (Tried searching ebay for fz6 rear grip bar but came up empty as I am not really sure what to call it)

And has anyone done a write up of doing a tail end swap with a different bike. I know people have done it but never seen a write up of parts and what was involved.

Thanks

Russ

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
It's a fairly easy conversion... Scrap yards or keeping an eye on eBay will be your best bet. Try searching 'FZ6 grab', 'fz6 pillion' or 'fz6 handle', one or two come up every now and again here in the UK.

Equipment wise, an hack saw and sandpaper! Grind/saw off the rails and then simply file/sand the stubs flush to the unit... A few hours filling and more sanding then your ready to prime and paint!

This mod is still on my list of things to do, hoping to get it done over the Christmas holidays. There is a thread over on SBK detailing the conversion with lots of photos... I'm of no further use!

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah the grab rails on the pillion, thanks for the info Jb40k, will look into that.

Edit : Just done the ebay search on all of them and only found a FZ6R one which looks different :(

Last edited:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
if you search "fz6 breaking" you might find someone who is willing to part parts off the bike, you have to ask them tho via ask seller a question most of the time

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah the grab rails on the pillion, thanks for the info Jb40k, will look into that.

Edit : Just done the ebay search on all of them and only found a FZ6R one which looks different :(

FZ6R is a different bike...

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a fairly easy conversion... Scrap yards or keeping an eye on eBay will be your best bet. Try searching 'FZ6 grab', 'fz6 pillion' or 'fz6 handle', one or two come up every now and again here in the UK.

Equipment wise, an hack saw and sandpaper! Grind/saw off the rails and then simply file/sand the stubs flush to the unit... A few hours filling and more sanding then your ready to prime and paint!

This mod is still on my list of things to do, hoping to get it done over the Christmas holidays. There is a thread over on SBK detailing the conversion with lots of photos... I'm of no further use!

Funny you mention this. I broke one side off in my accident and ended up doing exactly what you described. Well almost :rolleyes:. I couldn't get a good angle with a saw so I took a drill bit and a dremel to it and snapped it off. Then used a sander and rough sandpaper to grind it down flush. After that it was just body filler and smooth sanding to finish.

I have some pictures of it uploaded. The only problem was after cutting that off you have an exposed area just behind the plastic "pods" (covers) that are under the seat.:(

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good :) I think it looks like I will need to cut up my original one as they are as rare as hens teeth ! :/

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good :) I think it looks like I will need to cut up my original one as they are as rare as hens teeth ! :/

You got that right. I've been looking around for one for months. Basically since I had my accident. I more or less gave up for the time being and did this. I personally like it, but it just seems like an eyesore with that gap. I am going to try and fabricate a little filler piece with fiberglass for those two sides.

I just used what I had around the house last weekend to cut off the sides, but you can buy a dremel with a small cutting wheel for about $20 from Walmart. It would be an easy job that way. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the point where I was doing the final sanding on the primer. It's pretty straight forward and simple, but if you need any help PM me. :thumbup: