Playing around with the gearing again! New Vortex rear sprocket!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, i have just changed my rear sprocket. Until last night, when i got back from a gentle night ride, i had a 48 tooth (+2 over OEM) black Vortex rear sprocket on my black bike, coupled with my "normal" front sprocket...a 14 toother (-2 under OEM). The 48 tooth rear, with the 14 tooth front sprocket gave me ultra short gearing...bought that 8000 FZ6 powerband down to about 5000rpm....and as such, the bike was always screaming it's head off, and it sorta demanded that you ride the thing hard through all the gears! not top end to speak of...in fact, drive to redline in top gear, was pretty much useless! but how often do we go there! :eek:

Before the 48 tooth rear, i had a 47 tooth Gold GYTR rear sprocket....that is awesome...my favourite set up i think (-2 front, +1 rear), gives awesome drive from about 6500rpm, and still gives you a proper top end, even if top speed is reduced to about 210km/h....how often do we need that anyway...

But last night, i thought i would go back to OEM gearing at the rear, and chuck the brand new Red Vortex 46 tooth rear sprocket on the beast! Just because the weather is getting hot, and i reckon i will be doing more flip flopping through the Twisties, rather than head down, bum up...especially as my big summer tour of Tassie is coming up, and i sorta wanna take it easy till i get on that trip...

My only reservation is that this Red Vortex sprocket is rather "LOUD" to look at being Red & Silver!!!!

Have not ridden the bike yet, but i already know how it will feel, as i have run this set up before...in fact this set of 14/46 is what Pinky, my ex FZ6 Cup bike came with...

Oh, and by the way, all of this is with a 520 set up, did the conversion a long time ago...

Here are some nice pic's of my shiny new rear sprocket...

Ist up, the old black sprocket...48 toother!
View attachment 33122

The new 46 tooth RED new sprocket!
View attachment 33123

A wide shot!!!
View attachment 33124

:thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to get that sprocket for my bike, but couldn't get a reply from the supplier :(

If you don't like it, it's not too "loud" for my bike :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to get that sprocket for my bike, but couldn't get a reply from the supplier :(

If you don't like it, it's not too "loud" for my bike :D

Funny thing is, that red sprocket you see in the picture, was actually orderedd by Mikey about 4 months or so before he binned his FZ6 back in August 09....it eventually turned up at the dealer, about 4 months after he had replaced his FZ6....

I ended up buying from the shop at a discount rate, about 6 months after that!!!!

My black Vortex sprocket, was bought second hand from one of our American friends....

I ordered a Vortex sprocket for my black bike about 2 years ago...i am still waiting for it....

It seems, that with Vortex sprockets in Australia...it's a bit of a lottery!!!

:(

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
yes the red one is loud but i sort of like it more than the black, sets the rear real off and grabs attention, and the gold chain looks schimck with the red sprocket

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking sprockets both of them :thumbup: But for your bike I'd go with the black one. Think the red one sticks out a bit.

Not to pick sides or anything :rolleyes: but I do think that the red one would look über cool on Kazza's white/red bike. It would definitely pick up the red tank line nicely IMO.

Just my 2 cents :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes the red one is loud but i sort of like it more than the black, sets the rear real off and grabs attention, and the gold chain looks schimck with the red sprocket

I have never really liked the black...love the gold GYTR sprocket, and the red is growing on me' now!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking sprockets both of them :thumbup: But for your bike I'd go with the black one. Think the red one sticks out a bit.

Not to pick sides or anything :rolleyes: but I do think that the red one would look über cool on Kazza's white/red bike. It would definitely pick up the red tank line nicely IMO.

Just my 2 cents :D

How much is "she" paying you??? Lol!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta say Jamie , its not doing it for me either :(......

I dont think it would do your bike any favours either Kaz :don'tknow:
It would look sweet on my bike.

I used to be subtle. Didn't want to do anything to my bike and HATED bikes with anodised pieces on them.

Now look at me - can't wait to add pretty things to her :)

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I don't recommend 100% aluminum sprockets on any street bike as they wear out so quickly compared to a sprockets with steel teeth.

So I went with supersprox and a gold D.I.D. X-ring pro chain.

Can't wait for spring!

ad8c8964-fb31-8b4c.jpg

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recommend 100% aluminum sprockets on any street bike as they wear out so quickly compared to a sprockets with steel teeth.

Can't wait for spring!

ad8c8964-fb31-8b4c.jpg

If you do lots of distance work, then a decent 530 set up, with steel sprockets is definitely the way to go...the OEM Yamaha rear sprocket is a pretty hardy piece of kit, and the Supersprox stuff is awesome...nice set up.

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny thing is, that red sprocket you see in the picture, was actually orderedd by Mikey about 4 months or so before he binned his FZ6 back in August 09....it eventually turned up at the dealer, about 4 months after he had replaced his FZ6....

I ended up buying from the shop at a discount rate, about 6 months after that!!!!

My black Vortex sprocket, was bought second hand from one of our American friends....

I ordered a Vortex sprocket for my black bike about 2 years ago...i am still waiting for it....

It seems, that with Vortex sprockets in Australia...it's a bit of a lottery!!!

:(

What would be the problem of one of us Yanks getting you a sprocket and bouncing it to you?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Can't wait for spring!

ad8c8964-fb31-8b4c.jpg

When I do a sprocket that's the one I'll get. :rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What would be the problem of one of us Yanks getting you a sprocket and bouncing it to you?

I actually did think of doing that, as I was getting seriously peeved off as I ordered the new chain and sprockets, at about 32,000km for changing at the 40,000km service......at 44,000km I put it in for service, and got a GYTR rear sprocket instead, which also irked as it didn't go properly with the nice red chain:rant:.

I came very close to PMing someone, but I'm a bit weird like that and really don't like to impose:eek:. Like to sort my own shizz:rolleyes:

I'm well aware that there are some truly awesome folks that would be only too happy to help:bow::hug::blowkiss:.

After the messing around I copped, I'm glad Jamie picked it up cheap...lol.:steve::thumbup::BLAA: