Poor Bike Downed by the snow mover

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbup: . Insurance called up today and will be paying off for the damages. Like Scott mentioned, I will get the bike back to fix it myself.

Looks like I might just get the bike fixed before the riding season starts!!!:cheer:

That's good news! What's the eta for getting the bike back? Do you need help getting the bike home? Let me know:thumbup:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Joe, will let you know in a couple of days. Getting the bike back is a bit tricky. Since I will be back only on Saturday to get the bike and initially it was towed on request from Leasing office.
I need to get the shop paid for the towing and any storage charged for the time it has been there - about 4 weeks. Need to bug the Leasing office for that.
Once that is settled, the bike is in good running condition and a tank full of fuel as well - except for the missing mirrors. Is it OK(legal?) to ride it back without any mirrors?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
except for the missing mirrors. Is it OK(legal?) to ride it back without any mirrors?

Bike equipment requirements vary from state to state, But:

NJ: Mirror Left(L) Right(R) - One required by law
DE: Mirror Left(L) Right(R) - One required by law

Having said that.. I've ridden quite a few times without mirrors (when I was doing naked conversion). It's not ideal.. I always do head checks anyway, but stopping at intersections and having general awareness of what's behind you.. much better to have mirrors for that.
Be extra cautious if you decide to ride it. You can also likely come up with a temporary solution to keep it legal (maybe a small stick-on mirror mounted to the bar end, or something like that?)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to here the news!! Lots of new parts, it'll look better than before! :thumbup:

Re the mirror, if you can't get a replacement ASAP, I'd duct tape a bicycle mirror to the bars / left hand grip to get it home. The law doesn't say it has to mounted a specific way!!

I hope that tow storage bill isn't too high. I'd try to get the insurance to pick that up... The tow folks down here are mostly thieves...

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, now after a week of crazy negotiations with the confused property manager who went on to say "That is not happening" when I said I will go pick up *MY* bike by paying the towing and storage charges *myself* - the bike was delivered today!!!:cheer: And the shop was paid by the Leasing office.

But... there always has to a catch in everything. When I sent the bike to the shop, it cranked right up - but now even after constant cranking till the battery ran down - no ignition. It probably fired for one cycle, with smoke pouring out of the exhaust, but died immediately. Maybe the battery doesn't have enough juice? I have put the battery on the charger now, will try again after a couple of hours.

Time to order some plastic panels,mirrors,windshield,handlebar,brake/clutch levers and put some paint over the small dents/scratches on the tank. Any idea where I can find the paint for the Bluish Silver - 05 model?

Since I am anyway fixing the front end, any suggestions on some custom mods for the front end?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, after putting the battery through more misery of constant cranking, the bike came to life!!!

Now for the fixing - any suggestions on "must do" and easy mods for the fairing/lights/handlebar etc?

Also the color - to fix a few scratches on the tank - where can I get the bluish silver paint?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, after putting the battery through more misery of constant cranking, the bike came to life!!!

Now for the fixing - any suggestions on "must do" and easy mods for the fairing/lights/handlebar etc?

Also the color - to fix a few scratches on the tank - where can I get the bluish silver paint?

That's good to hear!
Color rite has the exact match, not sure about other brands. I have stock bars you are welcome to, if you like.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to hear!
Color rite has the exact match, not sure about other brands. I have stock bars you are welcome to, if you like.

Thanks Joe :thumbup: , I think I will try the Fz1 Bar to see how it feels. The Fz6R bar you gave me were really good, but I wanted something a bit lower/forward. You have the Fz1 bars mounted right? Let me know if it is a straight replacement.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Joe :thumbup: , I think I will try the Fz1 Bar to see how it feels. The Fz6R bar you gave me were really good, but I wanted something a bit lower/forward. You have the Fz1 bars mounted right? Let me know if it is a straight replacement.

Yeah, it is. You can drill new holes in the bar for the tabs in the controls or file them off. I filled them off, no issues with them moving.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it is. You can drill new holes in the bar for the tabs in the controls or file them off. I filled them off, no issues with them moving.

Also, do you remember the grips you gave me when we replaced the bar? Since the grip on the right side can be moved to the new handlebar, I am thinking of getting a similar one for the left hand side(present one is glued to the old handle bar).

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, do you remember the grips you gave me when we replaced the bar? Since the grip on the right side can be moved to the new handlebar, I am thinking of getting a similar one for the left hand side(present one is glued to the old handle bar).

Man, I had to dig to find those againBlah
They are ProGrip 699 super bike gel grips. I think those are the best groups I have ever used, I like them better than the duel density.