Potential moto noise restrictions in National Parks

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Open pipes are on their radar. Stay off the throttle a bit around the tourists and we might be able to stave off tickets and bans for a few years. :thumbup:

Motorcycles Rev Up Noise Fears In National Parks : NPR

AHEARN: Bab**** is one of those bikers who put after-market pipes on his bike to make it louder and more powerful. Those parts aren't illegal, even if the level of noise they create can be. States across the country regulate motorcycle noise differently. Half the states in the U.S. don't have noise limits for motorcycles at all. And right now, neither do the national parks, says Karen Trevino.

TREVINO: Well, a lot of people outside the park service and maybe even a few within in the park service might like to see us take more draconian action. We are not there yet.

AHEARN: Trevino says the park service is hesitant to limit anyone's access. For now, they're still gathering information. So, no tickets or regulations in national parks anytime soon. What they are doing is partnering with motorcycle associations to ask riders to stay in smaller groups, not accelerate excessively and respect park quiet hours. Whether riders cooperate is another question.

As an aside, I'd love to run the dB meter at Mt. Rushmore during Sturgis, just to witness all the :rant:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think those harleys with the straight super loud pipes are bad for all us motorcycle riders. I do have my DB killers in on my Leo's so it's not too bad. I have a friend who's harley is so loud it is way way too loud. Just tell them to leave the sport bikes alone and hammer the harley guys and girls or excess noise. Just my thoughts. :spank:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree - in the land of Oz, we have fairly draconian noise limits - a simple slip-on, even with db killers may be above the limit.

But hogs, with straight through pipes, are much, much louder - and every so often, there will be a token gesture of trying to limit noise pollution from hogs, but the Police know they'll be bringing a sh!tstorm of almost biblical proportions if they crack down too hard on the hog brotherhood.

Much easier for them to pick on us sportsbike riders.

Cheers,
Rick

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I pretty much agree with limiting how loud bikes (or cars) can be. The FZ6 being quiet is one of the things that drew me to it.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I pretty much agree with limiting how loud bikes (or cars) can be. The FZ6 being quiet is one of the things that drew me to it.

Many states already have statutes in place, but very few are enforced. The bulk of louder pipes offer a minimal performance increase to an already quick machine, and there are plenty of legal aftermarket pipes that are lighter and flow better than stock.

It would be nice to have some consistency in statutes and enforcement. As always loud pipes lose rights, both on road and off.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a great idea. National Parks are not meant to be a local city park. They hold on to what the country was. When many people go there they want to get away from the city, etc.

My Arrow exhaust meets all EU sound requirements with DB Killer in. I don't see why Hardley Ableson's can't do the same thing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, I know that episode well. :thumbup:

Keep in mind if they to bikes they should to cars too.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Scorpions on my FZ. We were on a charity tide for diabetes and I asked the state trooper about my pipes. He told me I would have to run into the biggest prick on the force and kick him in the shins to get a ticket for my pipes being to loud.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I know a few places that do enforce sound levels. Mostly around the beaches on Lake Michigan I've heard of people getting tickets for loud stereo systems and noisy exhaust as well. It depends on the location and the police to enforce them.

I also know the parks are really hurting for visitors so putting on a restriction of any kind would just be a something keeping someone from going.