Premium or Regular gas?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the reason why mine runs better on 93 is because of all the air I'm moving in and out and not having it properly tuned

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ethonol knocks the Octane rating down, where I'm at is 10% or less. If in your area and the ethonol % is higher, I'd probably go with the higher rated octane..

My bike always ran fine on regular and I'll be sticking with it from now on... With that said, I do use Seafoam every other tank or so, it seems to make the bike run smoother...

Ethanol actually increases octane but the fuel companies compensate by cutting down the other octane boosters so you still get the same octane fuel out of the pump, the problem is that ethanol is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and once water is absorbed into the fuel the octane rating drops.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ethanol actually increases octane but the fuel companies compensate by cutting down the other octane boosters so you still get the same octane fuel out of the pump, the problem is that ethanol is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and once water is absorbed into the fuel the octane rating drops.

I wasn't aware of the octane being higher with ethonol, thanks for the heads up. :)

I was aware of of the hydroscopic effects of it and use K100 :
K100 Fuel Treatment in the boat (built in 50 gallon tank) and occassionally in the bike. Experiance with this product in the boat indicates in does indeed work.. Stabilizes fuel too..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't aware of the octane being higher with ethonol, thanks for the heads up. :)

I was aware of of the hydroscopic effects of it and use K100 :
K100 Fuel Treatment in the boat (built in 50 gallon tank) and occassionally in the bike. Experiance with this product in the boat indicates in does indeed work.. Stabilizes fuel too..

Will that product remove water already in the fuel or only prevent its absorption?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Will that product remove water already in the fuel or only prevent its absorption?

The water/moisture is still in the gas tank, period. What it does is mix with the water, the water WILL NOT SETTLE TO THE BOTTOM, and the bike/boat will eventually burn it off WITH THE FUEL.

From personal experiance, my 1997 center console boat has a 50 gallon fuel tank built in and it's never been out. When I re-powered the boat with a 4 stroke 150 Yamaha with FI, I started finding water droplets in where the main fuel pump resides. I'd drain it and see water droplets collect together in the clean tuna fish container I collected it in. I've been using the K100 for about a year in the boat (and bikes, one bike now) and there are no more water droplets coming out from the boat fuel pump. It is still slightly milky looking (I attribute that to the water mixed up with the gas) however this engine sips the fuel so it takes awhile to burn off 13 years of water accumulation.

Per the bottle, it stabilizes the fuel, restores it, cleans fuel injectors, boosts octane level, prevents frozen lines, reduces emisssions.

I can tell you I saw a demo at my local MC shop. They had several small containers each filled with an ounce of gas, an ounce of water and an ounce of several different fuel conditioners/additives. K100 was the ONLY ONE to stay mixed and NOT SEPARATE, PERIOD. I've know the owner of the shop for at least 15 years as well as the head mechanic and would trust them both with my life... Many of the other were BIG name brand companies as well...

Its not cheap and if buying on-line, get the K100 MG, thats the gas stabilizer formula...

For me, for my boat, it was a whole lot cheaper and easier than tearing up the floor, console, pulling the gas tank, then getting rid of 40+ gallons of fuel... Then moisture starts collecting again naturally...

From their site:

Benefits of Using K100 Fuel Treatment

Eliminates water and all water-related problems
Prevents phase separation in all ethanol blended fuels
Stabilizes fuel and keeps it fresh
Cleans engines and fuel system for better mileage, easier starting, smoother idle, more power and better acceleration
Lubricates fuel systems, and burns cleanly and completely leaving no ash deposits
Increases cetane/octane ratings 1-1/2 to 2 points
Prevents microbe growth in diesel fuel
Replaces lost lubricity in LSD, ULSD, Off-Road and K-1 winter blend fuels
Reduces emissions, black smoke and oil fumes
Reduces maintenance costs and downtime
Use K100-D or K100-MD for diesel, K100-G or K100-MG for gasoline

Last edited:

Tukkeuma

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

I'm a new member here, and i would like your opinion about the fuel that i'm using in my FZ6 (2005 model). I use Russian A92 fuel in my bike, and if i'm correct it equals american octane number 88.5. I ride the bike in Finland and it doesn't say anything about the required octane number in my manual. Do you know if European version of the FZ6 also runs fine with octane number 86 or higher? Is there any differences between American and European versions of the bike in this matter? I use Russian fuel because it costs half less than Finnish :rolleyes:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your owners manual states regular so that's what you should use unless you expereience any pinging or knocking. Plus, you should experience better fuel mileage using regular. But others have put premium.

Being you are a new forum member, welcome.

You can also read the numerous threads that already has been created by using the search engine on this forum and type in some key words. Should give you hours of enjoyment.
Welcome, and as stated search is your friend, this is a well debated topic nearly as done to death as "Which Oil".
http://www.600riders.com/forum/sear.../forum/cmps_index.php&ref=&ss=7934j6521536j22

Good luck

Neil

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
It seams the owners manual says to use regular. I don't have one yet. But if I'm not mistaking, the specs on the swing arm say to use 91. I'm gonna have to check when I get home now.