Projector Light Shutter Problem

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have a problem with their shutter on their projection lights? Mine are sticking so when I go to high beam the shutters get stuck partially and if I bang the housing they will fully open. No problem going into low beam. How did you fix it? Really don't want to open the housing back up.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a tough one. Where did you get your projectors? Any chance they are under warranty? Once that housing is sealed up I cannot imagine any way you could service the projector. I think it is going to have to come apart

I recently installed the Morimoto H1's and the instructions said to cycle the high beams about 30 times and if no problems it should not develop problems. Wanting to believe this is true. We'll see

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Projector Light Shutter Problem

That sounds like a tough one. Where did you get your projectors? Any chance they are under warranty? Once that housing is sealed up I cannot imagine any way you could service the projector. I think it is going to have to come apart

I recently installed the Morimoto H1's and the instructions said to cycle the high beams about 30 times and if no problems it should not develop problems. Wanting to believe this is true. We'll see

That is exactly what I was going to say. I just don't see anyway that you're going to get in there to correct the problem

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site

Thats the ones I installed. I'm going to try working the shutter with my finger through the bulb hole and see if I can feel what's causing the obstruction.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't the solenoid on the outside? Normal position is Low beam and HB is powered.

Likely not related but does the solenoid come with an inline diode to protect the rest of the bike?

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't the solenoid on the outside? Normal position is Low beam and HB is powered.

Likely not related but does the solenoid come with an inline diode to protect the rest of the bike?

No diode. Small solenoid opens the shutter against spring pressure and is in the high beam position when energized. The solenoid is pretty small so probably doesn't produce enough EMI to cause any issues. On my old DL650 if the cooling fan was running while you shut the ignition off the bike would keep running for a second and not have a clean shut down. Never could figure out why there wasn't a diode in the circuit. :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is not related to the shutter problem but since it's been mentioned..
I think the diode configuration would be for noise and spiking. As the field in the coil collapses it can generate opposite polarity voltages on the line and this diode would conduct to quell those anomalies.

The diode is not forward biased and only conducts unwanted positive energy to the positive line.

You see this practice on many relays/solenoids. :)