R1 rattling at idle? WTF

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I apologize to any & all Ducati owners but that's funny as Hell! :BLAA: If you've ever heard a Duc idling that's exactly what it sounds like! The 1st time I heard one I thought something was badly wrong with it until my moto-mechanic friend, Jim, explaned to me that that was perfectly normal for a $17k bike! WTF!

Gotta love a dry clutch. I'll take mine wet, thank you very much.

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah mate , coz then it would sound like this :D

ducati 848 - YouTube

jajajaja jajajaj LOL

For those of you that don't understand spanish there it goes the translation of what he says:

main guy:
"Hello
I commented on a post that I haven't been able to install a dry clutch kit on a 848
I've already got it, here it is"

guy in background:
"brought from United States"

main guy:
"brought from United States through ebay
1500 euros
I'm gonna show you how it sounds with the termignoni and .. you'll be amazed"

guy in background:
"go go ... go go"

main guy:
"It sounds ****ing awesome
I made it myself"

girl in background:
"removable, isn't?"

other girl in background:
"Sandra says is removable"

Cheers :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: R1 rattling at idle? WTF rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lone, what ever came of this evil noise? Does it make it when its snowing outside?

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
God damn it.

I just noticed something that wasn't there before. Or if it was there I didn't hear it until just now.

It goes away when I pull the clutch in and when the throttle is slightly engaged. At idle with the clutch out it continues non-stop. Sort of a rattling sound. You can hear it in this video.

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]WOsjyKLII6g[/MEDIA] rattling noise at idle - YouTube[/ame]

What could it be? Valves? Cams? Clutch plate or something broken off there? Other than this the bike runs great I took her out for a rip today to make sure.

God damn it. What a pain in the ass. It was noisy by the guy's house when I was having a look at it and the engine sounded fine but I missed the rattle.
Hi there, I’ve got the exact same noise on my 2004 R1. Did you ever find the issue ?
regards charlie

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you read through the thread, the suggestion was something clutch related, most likely worn (out of spec) springs. If your noise goes away with pulling the clutch lever, then a clutch investigation or rebuild is in order. If the noise is not clutch related, if you can post a video we can take a crack at guessing or maybe even successfully identifying the noise. If it is cam chain slap, you must stop running the engine now.

BTW, this is an FZ6 site, but we’re pretty smart fellas.

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
If you read through the thread, the suggestion was something clutch related, most likely worn (out of spec) springs. If your noise goes away with pulling the clutch lever, then a clutch investigation or rebuild is in order. If the noise is not clutch related, if you can post a video we can take a crack at guessing or maybe even successfully identifying the noise. If it is cam chain slap, you must stop running the engine now.

BTW, this is an FZ6 site, but we’re pretty smart fellas.
Hi there. The noise is identical to the one in the video lone posted, I will try post my bike too. I’ve rebuilt the whole clutch assembly with new clutch fibre plates and steels. Replaced clutch basket with lower Milage one (still has loose springs in the back of the basket but thought this was normal). Carried out valve clearances and exhuast valves were pretty tight. All adjusted and now okay. Carried out throttle body sync aswell which has decreased the noise slightly but still very noticeable. I did think it could be a clutch basket issue which most people say but the crank constantly rotated the basket so no matter if you pull in the clutch or not it will still make the noise ? Mine only the noise below 1700rpm with the clutch lever out. Exactly like lones problem. I’m just running out of ideas at the moment and with the noise completely disappearing when the clutch is pulled in directs me to something gearbox related.

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
No but I purchased a brand new one and when it came the springs were loose I took it to Yamaha and asked the technician if this was normal and he said yes. If it was the springs in the back wouldn’t that make a constant sound ?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The springs in the basket get assembled with a good about of preload, about 10%. If they are rattling, they are either out of spec, or the wrong part number. Did they appear shorter than the ones you removed? Were all of the springs the same length?

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
The correct part number is 90501-230A0-00. The parts are available at Revzilla. I would remove the spring you have and measure them and then compare this length to the service limit. If they are short, replace all six.
I will do that but I just don’t understand if it was those six springs it would still make the noise with the clutch lever pulled in.

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
Because when the clutch lever is engaged, all six of those spring are compressed.
Thanks so much I’m beginning to understand. So the springs are under pressure when you engage the clutch because the clutch (basket) is not under pressure from driving the gearbox through the steel plates ?

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
Because when the clutch lever is engaged, all six of those spring are compressed.
How can the springs be compressed when all the lever is doing is separating the friction plates from the steels. The outer basket is still moving at the same rate just now not connected to the input shaft.

Charlie182

Reaction score
Visit site
I know how a clutch works lol. What I’m saying is the springs on the back of the basket can’t compress when the inner hun is disconnected. It’s impossible. The springs are constantly working to help put smooth drive through the input (as you can’t constantly keep a smooth idle, everyone knows that). You’ve sent a animation which doesn’t mention drive cushion springs on the outer ring gear of a clutch basket at all don’t worry thanks for the advice but I’ll try the trained technicians next. Thanks though.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When the clutch lever is engaged, the springs fully compress. When you release the clutch lever the spring return to their rest position. In this position they should remain preloaded. When the springs are out of spec, or are too short, they will rattle in this position.