R1 rattling at idle? WTF

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
God damn it.

I just noticed something that wasn't there before. Or if it was there I didn't hear it until just now.

It goes away when I pull the clutch in and when the throttle is slightly engaged. At idle with the clutch out it continues non-stop. Sort of a rattling sound. You can hear it in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsjyKLII6g]R1 rattling noise at idle - YouTube[/ame]

What could it be? Valves? Cams? Clutch plate or something broken off there? Other than this the bike runs great I took her out for a rip today to make sure.

God damn it. What a pain in the ass. It was noisy by the guy's house when I was having a look at it and the engine sounded fine but I missed the rattle.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
What year is it? I've heard the 09's having cam chain tensioner failures. To me it sounds like a SEVERE case of cam chain slap, as if you have no tensioner at all.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't view the video here at work, so I cant hear the exact sound, but this reminds me of an issue I (and many Eclipse owners) have with my car. I have never gotten into the tranny of my bike, so I am not sure what similarities it shares with a car, but it sounds to me like you have a bad throwout bearing.

On my car, while in neutral, there is an annoying rattle, but as soon as teh clutch is depressed and some pressure is applied to the TO bearing, the noise ceases.

Just a thought. Someone with more knowledge of the inner workings of the FZ tranny, like if it does have TO bearing, can chime in.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the sounds like to (throw out) bearing to me, especially since when you pull the clutch in it goes away. When i used to work on big.rigs they would do it all the time when drivers didnt keep their clutches properly adjusted. But on the trucks we could sometimes adjust the clutch "internally" vs from the linkage and it would fix it as long as the to bearing itself wasnt gone. I dont know if there is a way.to adjust it "internally" on the bike or not. But dont the r1s come with a slipper clutch to begin with? If they do then that would also lead me to believe that it is the to bearing.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the noise coming and going when you manipulate the clutch I suspect its something clutch related.

Inbetween the main shaft and the clutch basket is a needle bearing and a collor. Most Yamaha's are set up this way (and don't have a pilot bearing like a car). The clutch basket rides on a shaft and transmits motion between the crankshaft and transmission.

If possible, with the engine off, (both with the clutch pulled and then not pulled), reach thru the oil filler hole (I believe its just above the clutch basket) and put a little bit of pressure on the entire clutch assembly. There shouldn't be ANY side to side play.

If there is, that needle bearing/collor may be worn. Hopefully the basket itself is ok. The clutch basket itself is rivited to the large main gear behind it. If it has been abused badly, the rivets may have loosened.

It shouldn't be hard to get to even if you have to pull the clutch cover...

See the below clutch assembly for your bike:

Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Good luck...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you hear it while traveling in gear or just in N?

The point being, all those straight cut gears can make noise until a minor load is applied. So, while under any load with the clutch engaged (like a very slight acceleration) does it make noise? How about when in a coasting state; in gear, clutch engaged, neither accelerating or decelerating. This helps determine input shaft (where the clutch is) vs final drive in the gear box. My FZ gets quiet with the clutch in as all the shafts except the crank stop turning.

Get out the wooden stick and listen. Pin point it to the clutch, T-chain or gear box and report back.

Last edited:

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
God damn it.

I just noticed something that wasn't there before. Or if it was there I didn't hear it until just now.

It goes away when I pull the clutch in and when the throttle is slightly engaged. At idle with the clutch out it continues non-stop. Sort of a rattling sound. You can hear it in this video.

R1 rattling noise at idle - YouTube

What could it be? Valves? Cams? Clutch plate or something broken off there? Other than this the bike runs great I took her out for a rip today to make sure.

God damn it. What a pain in the ass. It was noisy by the guy's house when I was having a look at it and the engine sounded fine but I missed the rattle.

Maybe somebody slipped in & installed a Ducati dry clutch while you weren't looking! :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe somebody slipped in & installed a Ducati dry clutch while you weren't looking! :D

I actually had to :BLAA: when I read that. On one of the NJ rides, Erci's friend (Dave) I think, explained those clutches to me. So, it struck me as funny. You learn something everyday:thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all. I'll have to open it up eventually just to see what's going on but for now I think it should be fine. When I do open it up I'll post what I see. Thanks for the feedback though.

And yes you can hear it when the clutch is released in first gear with engine at idle too.

Have you posted this problem on the R1 forum?

sure did....

'05 R1 rattling noise at idle : Yamaha R1 Forum

no replies haha. but I searched the forum and it seems others have had a similar rattling noise sometimes so I'm hoping it's just a bit of lash.

Yeeep, shoulda gone wit de old 690 Enduro.

I'll give you a $100 for it. Cash. Final offer.

SOLD!!

...to the jerkface.

:Flip:

haha

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nah mate , coz then it would sound like this :D

ducati 848 - YouTube

I apologize to any & all Ducati owners but that's funny as Hell! :BLAA: If you've ever heard a Duc idling that's exactly what it sounds like! The 1st time I heard one I thought something was badly wrong with it until my moto-mechanic friend, Jim, explaned to me that that was perfectly normal for a $17k bike! WTF!