R1 too much bike for me?

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for the replies and comments everyone. I was out of internet range most of the weekend so just following up now.

The main reason I want the R1 is that the deal is pretty solid. I know that eventually I'll move onto the R1 but maybe that time is not now. My insurance isn't outrageous but is more than my FZ6 and XJ600 combined.

A secondary reason I wanted to move to the R1 is I wanted a more sporty looking bike (seriously). I may add the lower fairing and ride the FZ6 for awhile. As someone had mentioned, the bike has plenty of power. I ride solo 90% of the time and its been great. I do notice when the Mrs. is on the back though.

I guess a question that has come out of this discussion is "how streetable would a R1 be" because the majority of my riding is in town. Every other weekend we go for a longer ride. Even though we stop every 30 miles, I am considerably sore. I can't imagine what it'd be like in the more prone position of a SS.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Thanks for the replies and comments everyone. I was out of internet range most of the weekend so just following up now.

The main reason I want the R1 is that the deal is pretty solid. I know that eventually I'll move onto the R1 but maybe that time is not now. My insurance isn't outrageous but is more than my FZ6 and XJ600 combined.

A secondary reason I wanted to move to the R1 is I wanted a more sporty looking bike (seriously). I may add the lower fairing and ride the FZ6 for awhile. As someone had mentioned, the bike has plenty of power. I ride solo 90% of the time and its been great. I do notice when the Mrs. is on the back though.

I guess a question that has come out of this discussion is "how streetable would a R1 be" because the majority of my riding is in town. Every other weekend we go for a longer ride. Even though we stop every 30 miles, I am considerably sore. I can't imagine what it'd be like in the more prone position of a SS.

Don't take it the wrong way, but you have just provided all the wrong reasons to get a R1.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I chose fz6 because of the riding position and insurance on a 600 bike was more appealing to me than a 1000, and I do mostly commute on my bike. As mentioned above, you can hurt your self on a 125cc bike. No one know you better than you and how you handle your bike. I also get the feeling that most people get the liter bike for their ego boost since I very often get the "oh it's NOT 1000 bike, I have a friend that has a 1000 bike.blah blah blah" R1 is my 2nd all time fav bike, 2005-08 Kawasaki z1000 is my 1st

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't take it the wrong way, but you have just provided all the wrong reasons to get a R1.

Not taking it the wrong way. But I wouldn't necessarily say my reasons are "wrong". I've wanted a R1 for a decade. The guys I grew up with rode/ride R1s and R6s. I haven't bought one because college, family, mortgage, etc were more important. Why I want one *now* is because this specific R1 is for sale. Its not like I am going out and searching for SS bikes.

On a similar logic path, what are the "right reasons" to want a R1?

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike, your reasons. The guy with all the wrong reasons, well they were his wrong reasons, not mine and probably not yours.
I personally don't do 'test rides'. Motorcycles are not cars. Two consecutive units off the assembly line will feel different. There are just too many variables. A pound or two of air in the tire can make a world of difference.
As half a YMC (young married couple) you do have external responsibilities, which you seem to be aware of. As long as you are in it right, if it doesn't work, sell it. Traditionally, wiffey types love a profit.
It is better to buy it, try it, not like it, then sell it at a profit then to wake up one morning in 2058 thinking, "I should have bought that R1":confused: