R1 too much bike for me?

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend is selling his 2005 R1 for a ridiculously low amount. I know the bike's history and it is in perfect shape. However, my wife is concerned (understandably) about me moving to a liter bike with only two seasons down.

I would not consider myself a novice/noob but I would not consider myself an advanced rider. I am 33 and pretty responsible.

Is a R1 too much bike for me? I've ridden several R6's and so long as I respect the throttle, I am fine. But a R1 is a different beast altogether.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think you should be fine. I bought my Aprilia Tuono (liter bike) only a few months after getting my FZ6, which was my first "sports" bike. I took it to a track day to learn its idiosyncrasies and feel very comfortable with it.

lam.i.am

Reaction score
Visit site
I should probably call the insurance agent to see how much a R1 would be first. If its more than my truck payments, I'm out!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you intentions??
- 1st gear is good for like 90 mph. Takes off's in town, up a hill and/or traffic is no fun. :(
I'm pretty sure at idle speed is around 15 mph so its no fun in town.... It has an intended purpose and with that said, I wouldn't want one for the street.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
The important thing is not how long you have been riding, but how far. I know a lot of riders who have 10 years of riding, but I also know riders that do more miles in one year that the others have done in 10.

You also need to ask why you want an R1? Is the FZ6 too slow? Have you reached the limit of its handling? Is the R1 more comfortable? What type of riding do you do? The salesman at my local dealership calls an R1 a 20 minute bike in as much as that's as long as you can ride it without wanting to get off and stretch !! I upgraded from an FZ6 to an FJR1300 for comfort and long distance touring. I certainly never got close to the handling limits of my FZ6.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are responsible enough to respect the power of the bike and not use the throttle heavy on the street you will be fine.

I think the bigger questions are:

1. Will you have to sell the FZ6 to get this and if so can you deal with your only bike being a supersport that is not comfortable for more than a 30 minute ride.

2. Will insurance be outrageous? I got quotes on several different bikes before I bought my FZ6 back in 2007 and the R6 was double, the R1 would have been triple the cost.

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had 3 r6's and an fz6, now i have a 05 r1.. i would never go back.

even tho there is a bunch more horsepower, you dont have to use it all... and cruising around at normal speeds is more chill, i'm not revving the crap out of a 600cc just to keep speed. keep your wrist off the throttle and your witt's about you and you'll be fine :rockon::rockon:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The difference in riding position that some folks have mentioned is worth considering. Having said that, you can always put risers on it to make it more like an FZ1.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The difference in riding position that some folks have mentioned is worth considering. Having said that, you can always put risers on it to make it more like an FZ1.

That would kinda defeat the purpose of the bike. Kinda like putting off road tires on a Ferrari! ;)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What are you intentions??
- 1st gear is good for like 90 mph. Takes off's in town, up a hill and/or traffic is no fun. :(
I'm pretty sure at idle speed is around 15 mph so its no fun in town.... It has an intended purpose and with that said, I wouldn't want one for the street.

It's not quite that bad, Randy. My FZ1 (same gearing) will do 92mph in 1st, but idle is 10mph. Yes, you have to be in friction zone more than on FZ6, if you're in stop-n-go, but otherwise not an issue. Power and gearing-wise, I much prefer FZ1 (R1) on the street over smaller displacement bikes.. what I don't prefer is the ergonomics, but to each his own. It's also really bad for slow speed maneuvers, but again not critical.

To original poster: if you're responsible and as you said definitely not a newbie, you can handle the bike just fine, but never forget to respect it. You can easily ride on the street without ever going to high PRM and it'll be perfectly docile, but never gutless.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride it and see if you like it. I thought I might like an FZ1, but I didn't like the clutch pull or seat at all, and I found the power to be mostly unusable. Can't wring it out without getting well into illegal speeds, no matter where you are. I can at least click through 1 and most of 2 while merging on to the highway here.

An R1 will also have a much higher top speed, but I'm not even topping out my FZ6, so I have no real use for a liter bike. I didn't know that until I rode one.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That would kinda defeat the purpose of the bike. Kinda like putting off road tires on a Ferrari! ;)

I beg to disagree. I bought my Tuono rather than an RSVR for the more upright riding position but it has the same handling characteristics. Now there are a few differences (like the rear shock), but all in all, I don't think putting risers on an R1 is a bad thing if it saves you aches & pains. Of course, I am an old fart too.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Op, your wife is concerned? if she is concerned like a mother it is not too understandable. her husband will be fine, and has been riding a fast bike for a couple of seasons. ease here by letting her know two wheels are two wheels and a 1000cc bike is no different to be on then a 600cc. maybe she can try one out and see for herself

ah yes, women folk. what can we do about that? :D

can't let her ride for you so let her know at this point a "bike is a bike" for you. so far as can you handle it you say you have two seasons riding. i ride all year so don't know what a season makes, but as another poster said only you can gauge your experience. i've been riding for 4 years but 3 and 1/2 were on 150cc scooters. i have been riding the FZ6 for just 5,000 miles of my 30,000 mile riding career. i know for a fact after some initial acclimation i'd have no problem riding a liter bike

imo the real question is are you a hobbyist rider who just wants to "move up" in power for the sake of experience and fun, or do you have to live with the bike, day to day at times? and be that as it may, what kind of riding experience are you looking for? insurance, cost of ownership, all that

but can you handle it? imo yes. if you can handle the FZ6 well, you'll be just as well on an R1

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Having owned a R1 I can say they are awesome. Torque down low, POWER up high. It pulled in 6th how my fz pulled in 1st. I got pretty dang good mpg's on it too ~50. I never had to rev it much to get it to do what I wanted and it would GO whenever I wanted. I just needed to be more comfortable on a bike, at that time my commute was 56miles 1 way. After 30 min I HAD to get off the R1.

Basically, if its your pleasure bike then GO WITH THE LITER POWER!!!!!! but if it is your daily ride then keep the FZ6 or FZ1, the ergo's are immeasurably better.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i just want to say i mean no offense regarding the first paragraph in my above post. about the wife and mothering. and i don't mean it personally. just in general for anyone who has concerned loved ones, S.O.'s included. assure them it will be ok. its all riders can do. i just suggest to not let their worry become ours to the point we question what we ride

but to get back to the question, "too much bike?" well, if you can "cash in hand" a ride or rent one and see for yourself, that would be good. i have only skimmed the thread so don't know if you've had any seat time on one. but if not it is just a bike. you ride an FZ6, you can handle it. thing is do you want to use the power? but even if not as others have said "power all over the place" is great to have. pretty sure the R1 has that

"too much bike?" no such thing imo. the more interesting question is what makes you think it would be? riding is a solo thing, we need to answer these questions sometimes

Last edited:

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, I think if you know how to be responsible and control the throttle you should be fine. I just started riding this past May with my 1st bike 07 FZ6 and I went to test ride an 08 CBR 1000 a few days ago. It was pretty awesome..:thumbup: Just know your limits.

I would have grabbed a 1000 but the 04 I looked at was a piece of junk from a chop shop.. so now I have an 06 R6 Blah:rockon:

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
Like other have said, if you respect the throttle and horsepower you'll be fine, it only goes faster than the FZ if make it do so.

You could always offer your friend to swap bikes and go for a test ride, then both of you could expirience a new set of wheels .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All comes down to what type of riding you do. If a R1 is the type of ride you are looking for, go for it. A deal that is too good to pass up is not a reason to get the bike. If it was a Porsh, and you have a family of six kids, would you get the car because you know it's past history and price? For me, R1 is not a practical bike for me with its poor fuel range and ergos.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only you will know if you're ready for a litre bike.

You can kill yourself on a 125cc so it really is up to you and makes no difference, but you need to be confident in your riding abilities. Have you actually taken it for a ride?

Good luck with your decision :)