Race tech springs

Paulie Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks, just bought a FZ6 2006, 10,000 miles, super condition,
Im a fat git, well 6"2 and 16.5 stone, I knew the front end only has .75 fork springs, So my weight by the racetech info is .95 springs. I'm sure this has been covered lots.

Anyway for those who have used racetech for front forks, did anyone get the emulator as well?, and for those who did how did it work out for you.

Help appreciated. :D

Phil in Maine

Reaction score
Visit site
Im a fat git, well 6"2 and 16.5 stone, I knew the front end only has .75 fork springs, So my weight by the racetech info is .95 springs. I'm sure this has been covered lots.

Anyway for those who have used racetech for front forks, did anyone get the emulator as well?, and for those who did how did it work out for you.

It all depends on what your goals are with the changes. Changing the springs is very easy and inexpensive, and will noticeably reduce the softness and dive with breaking. If that's your main goal then do that and save yourself the cash and headaches.

I changed the springs and did the emulators. There was a noticeable difference but it wasn't a dramatic night and day difference. Most of it was the spring change.

My wife also has a FZ-6, and I only changed the springs on her, and the improvement was more than satisfactory.

Personally, I would buy the springs and see if that gets you what you were looking for. If the site calculated .95 I would get the 1.0. It calculated .95 for me, and I think I would have preferred it slightly stiffer.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C - with proper damping control, you don't need as much spring rate and can use the correct rate for your needs. More rate can offer the feeling of less dive, but with damping control you get better ride quality when using the correct spring for your combined weight. You know your rates are proper by measuring the bikes static SAG vs Rider & Bike SAG. For the street numbers like 08-12mm and 28 - 35mm seem comfortable for canyon use.

I know the springs in my R6 forks are sagging and loosing rate as I have had to increase preload over the years. But they still hit desiable SAG numbers so I may run them another season.
The published spec 2004 R6 front are:
Spring rate K1: 8.3 N/mm (0.83 kg/mm, 46.49 lb/in)

vrs stock FZ6 progressive rate of:
Spring rate K1: 7.40 N/mm (42.25 lb/in) (0.75 kgf/mm)
Spring rate K2: 11.80 N/mm (67.38 lb/in) (1.20 kgf/mm)

Me being 195Lbs + gear and Fizzer being heavier than the R6 these came from, one would think the 0.85kg/mm would be too little rate, but the Bike SAG of 11mm and Rider&Bike @30mm work out well for us.

Observation is this: control is better than being over sprung!

FWIW: SAG from stock FZ had me at something like 18mm/46mm. Meaning - sitting on the bike had consumed 1.8" of the 5.1" of travel available. Not ideal for bike sag, but not horridly out of line for rider and bike. But, not being able to dampen and make proper use of the travel is clearly a greater factor for ride quality than the rate being off. PLUS the Front rates do not come close to what the rear of the bike does so there is NO BALANCE between the two!

Bottom line: once you get control of the front, most find the rear needs help too. Fixing the suspension is the best money I ever spent on the bike and its a pleasure to ride in the canyons!

Related reading:
Best investment EVER R6 Forks! Rides so Nice......
08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~
Rear shock alternatives; How to install R1 Shock w/pic

Tire wear patterns....
Race Track Motorcycle Tyre Wear Guide - Types and Causes
Bike setup vid w/ Dave Moss.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikjw4IheeF4
Bike Setup Tech article..... Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

R6 Spork
R6 Fork Install Another One
Help Need Correct PN for 2004 R6 Axle
R6 Forks Arrived, Couple of questions
Hyperpro lowering springs
HyperPro Springs installed
Front fork mods pita factor vs payoff
Bolt-r6-fork-upgrade
Ricor Intiminator fork mod
R6 Fork Mod Spacers

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

For kicks and grins try this now as its cheap and may help a little until you make a choice.
Grab a bottle of 10wt oil and increase the fork volume by adding 25 to 30mm of oil in each fork leg. Report back!
Block the nose up so the front hangs.
Remove bars.
Remove spring cap.
Measure oil level.
Add oil increasing volume by 25 - 30mm
Measure depth.
Install cap.
Repeat and match depth on the other fork.
Install bars, lower bike and test drive.

Adding oil will effectively increase spring rate and may help lesson nose dive. For the cost of springs and emulators I opted for replacement forks so I can dial them in as I know me enough to know I'm not going to open the forks five times to get the compression, rebound, and sag set proper when I can do it with screw driver and wrench in 2" while parked roadside. Perhaps from setting up dirt bikes and knowing that once right for a given track it makes a HUGE difference!

16.5 Stone = 104kg (231 lbs)??

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
For kicks and grins try this now as its cheap and may help a little until you make a choice.
Grab a bottle of 10wt oil and increase the fork volume by adding 25 to 30mm of oil in each fork leg. Report back!

Adding oil will effectively increase spring rate and may help lesson nose dive.

I added 7 mm shims to each leg (for adjusting sag) and raised the oil level +2 cm per leg. Oil is 7.5w motul factory line and bike is noticably fine than previous.

next will ipone 10w fork oil, I think 7.5w is still thin for me.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I added 7 mm shims to each leg (for adjusting sag) and raised the oil level +2 cm per leg. Oil is 7.5w motul factory line and bike is noticably fine than previous.

next will ipone 10w fork oil, I think 7.5w is still thin for me.

I'm sure that all helped! :thumbup:

What it comes down to is intended use, effectiveness, & cost vs return.

I ride for pleasure in the canyons and mountains and replacement seemed like a cost effective solution which turned out to be a huge WIN! Very happy with the results! So as long as each owner/rider is happy, than all is good! All I can say is it is the suspension performance is the weakest link in making the bike really fun to ride (IMO!)!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
If I felt like I needed stiffer springs for my weight... I'd just save money and buy less food. Not only would you be able to ride better, you'd feel better too!

Although, FI has come up with some worthwhile suggestions thus far.

Phil in Maine

Reaction score
Visit site
If I felt like I needed stiffer springs for my weight... I'd just save money and buy less food. Not only would you be able to ride better, you'd feel better too!

Although, FI has come up with some worthwhile suggestions thus far.
Unfortunately, the FZ-6 comes with springs for someone 160 lbs. Being 6'2" and fairly rugged....160 isn't a possibility unless I was near dying.

Phil in Maine

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure that all helped! [emoji106]

What it comes down to is intended use, effectiveness, & cost vs return.

I ride for pleasure in the canyons and mountains and replacement seemed like a cost effective solution which turned out to be a huge WIN! Very happy with the results! So as long as each owner/rider is happy, than all is good! All I can say is it is the suspension performance is the weakest link in making the bike really fun to ride (IMO!)!
If this was your main interest in riding why did you buy an FZ-6? It really isn't the bikes forte. It's a sporty standard that works well as a mid weight sport tourer. Why not buy an actual sport bike that would have had far better suspension to begin with?

Z3R0_zhift

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the post. I ordered hyperpro streetbox (front fork springs +rear shock) for my ride and was wondering whether is it possible for me to install the race tech emulators in the front forks since I be using hyperpro springs. Was checking on the Web for preload adjusters as well and whether it's necessary. Just thinking ahead.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If this was your main interest in riding why did you buy an FZ-6? It really isn't the bikes forte. It's a sporty standard that works well as a mid weight sport tourer. Why not buy an actual sport bike that would have had far better suspension to begin with?

There is far more to it that than what meets the eye! For one I love to tinker and extract what the manufacturer left out of the platform! Needless to say the suspension is almost always the low hanging fruit!
1) Biggest factor at the time of purchase in 2011 was the lack $$$$$ // some things must be taken care of before our own needs.
2) As i saw a need to improve it and a path to follow I took it only to find I needed something more. Still in budget!
3) That has lead us to where we are. An inexpensive platform that delivers a lot and flies under the radar.

- Did I mention it outperforms cages having 650Hp costing more than 70,000$!!! Ya! We have our moments and real them in. I don't need an SS!!

Phil in Maine

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the post. I ordered hyperpro streetbox (front fork springs +rear shock) for my ride and was wondering whether is it possible for me to install the race tech emulators in the front forks since I be using hyperpro springs. Was checking on the Web for preload adjusters as well and whether it's necessary. Just thinking ahead.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
As long as you have the original damper rod the emulators can be used.