Rattle

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this strange rattle noise almost like a valve ticking when I am on the throttle at about 4000 rpms. As soon as I let go of the gas it stops. Is this normal? I just bought and still haven't taken it for a good ride yet. I think it is coming from the engine. Even with it in neutral sitting in the driveway I can hear it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this strange rattle noise almost like a valve ticking when I am on the throttle at about 4000 rpms. As soon as I let go of the gas it stops. Is this normal? I just bought and still haven't taken it for a good ride yet. I think it is coming from the engine. Even with it in neutral sitting in the driveway I can hear it.
Hi Mate,
If the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in it is normal. Have a look at these threads as it has been discussed by others. I have just recently gone back and fourth with mine and ensured that my concern has now been officially logged with Yamaha UK. There has only been one engine failure reported on this forum in over 1000 + members. I hope this helps.

Neil

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/1530-cam-chain-tensioning.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/1530-cam-chain-tensioning.html

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Neil!
There has also been note of what seems to be the exhaust under the seat rattling around 5000 rpm. Can you feel it through the seat? Also do you know how to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope? Put the metal end on your block and the plastic/handle end to you ear and if it gets really loud then it is coming from inside the block.(this can and should be done in different areas to pinpoint where the noise is coming from ie; head, crank, etc.) Good luck!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good technique, just make sure you are out of sight of the neighbors when you do it, they might suggest that using your ear is not the best way to tighten a screw...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Neil!
There has also been note of what seems to be the exhaust under the seat rattling around 5000 rpm. Can you feel it through the seat? Also do you know how to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope? Put the metal end on your block and the plastic/handle end to you ear and if it gets really loud then it is coming from inside the block.(this can and should be done in different areas to pinpoint where the noise is coming from ie; head, crank, etc.) Good luck!
I am aware of that technique mate thanks. The sound is so close to the head and the cam tensioner I could not decide. I also used my work stethescope and nearly burst my ear drums lol.
I can't feel any vibes under the seat and as mentioned my tapping is more noticable on a closed throttle when coming back doen the rev range. I ask the Dealer if I should get the valve clearance checked and he thought not?

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a story for you: on my XT600 winter bike I let the drive chain get so loose that it would hit the top frame-roller on the over-run. Before I knew that is what was happening, I had convinced myself that it was internal to the gearbox. I was a gnat's from hoiking the the engine out for a gearboxe strip....

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I am aware of that technique mate thanks. The sound is so close to the head and the cam tensioner I could not decide. I also used my work stethescope and nearly burst my ear drums lol.
I can't feel any vibes under the seat and as mentioned my tapping is more noticable on a closed throttle when coming back doen the rev range. I ask the Dealer if I should get the valve clearance checked and he thought not?

How many Miles are you at Neil? It may be a good idea anyway. Have you tried another dealer? Might be worth a try.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys I figured it was just part of the bike but like I said it is new and didn't want to do more damage if something was wrong

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How many Miles are you at Neil? It may be a good idea anyway. Have you tried another dealer? Might be worth a try.
Hi Mate,
I have 6200 miles on it. Full service history. The Mechanic (who I respect and trust) said it was not worth the cost of doing it as he honestly felt that there was no major issue. I have ensured that the problem is logged with Yamaha. Hopefully its the end of it. In the back of my mind though I am still wondering if the valve should be adjusted?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have taken my bike to three dealers 1 independant and 2 Yamaha dealers.
Does anyone know how much a valve adjustment would be?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I have taken my bike to three dealers 1 independant and 2 Yamaha dealers.
Does anyone know how much a valve adjustment would be?

Probably kind of expensive due to them taking off the valve cover... I think a friend (mechanic you know and trust) would be cheaper than a true yamaha dealer.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a little test for engines sounds. we are fairly confident its not in the bottom end or piston so i wont go there. but in the progression of the test valvetrain noise done last. considering the tensioner is new id rule that out.

Use timing light, see if the noise is happening at half crankshaft speed. The noise should happen along with the timing flash.

feijoo69

Reaction score
Visit site
hello guys,

i have come across the same rattle... between 2000 and 3000 rpms i hear a rattle noise coming from the engine. At first i thought it was coming from my the jacket but then found out it was really coming from the engine. I took it to the Yamaha dealer where i purchased the bike, they took a look at it, heard the noise and said it was normal. They also mentioned that it could be something with the valves. If its the valves... is it serious?! I'm going to get a second opinion from another yahama dealer because it seems to be getting louder.

i got a 2005 fz6 with about 11,400 miles

:Sport:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
hello guys,

i have come across the same rattle... between 2000 and 3000 rpms i hear a rattle noise coming from the engine. At first i thought it was coming from my the jacket but then found out it was really coming from the engine. I took it to the Yamaha dealer where i purchased the bike, they took a look at it, heard the noise and said it was normal. They also mentioned that it could be something with the valves. If its the valves... is it serious?! I'm going to get a second opinion from another yahama dealer because it seems to be getting louder.

i got a 2005 fz6 with about 11,400 miles

:Sport:

Look at the plastic radiator cover.... it rattled against my '05 aluminum rad and made the sound you are describing.