Rear rotor rubbing on calliper bracket

Recont

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Got my first bike, which is FZ6 04MY, which had bent rear brake rotor. After replacing the rotor with genuine Yamaha part I’ve noticed that rotor is rubbing on rear calliper’s bracket. Things that were done: mounting surface for rotor on wheel cleaned, calliper bracket cleaned, wheel looks straight, spacers on both ends of wheel installed as per exploded diagram.

Old rotor was rubbing only in 1 place.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds alot like whatever impact caused the bend of the rotor also caused the caliper pins to bend which would make it be out of alignment.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it was re-assembled, was this (below pic), inserted correctly with the swingarm?

Tightening down the axle (87 lbs/Ft) with the rotor / bracket not correctly assembled WILL BEND the main bracket and the rotor..It's a bunch of force bending parts....

If it's not now, or WAS previously tightened down-NOT correctly, that would cause the binding or now, a BENT BRACKET.

If it's currently in the slot CORRECTLY, THE MAIN BRACKET IS very likely bent and need replacement.
It's not uncommon to miss this and ruin the part..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't remember if the wheel bushings are different on the FZ6. Could the bushing sizes be different and be swapped?

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
ditto. The caliper itself and or the pins may have been bent in the same incident. You should get this fixed. After your front brakes - rear brakes are the most important thing you want 100% reliable.
good luck!

Recont

Reaction score
Visit site
Tks for the update..

So was the bracket installed NOT in the swingarm slot which would have bent it?

Nice to know it is re-pairable.

It was installed in slots. Was about to get a different bracket off ebay and decided to fix it with a hammer, which worked wonderfully.

Now a bit of investments for the bike-plugs, inlet joints and throttle sync kit. Valve clearance check in about 2-3k miles also.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ironically my rear caliper pin broke off on my Multi, currently I’m without a rear brake. Parts finally arriving on Friday, shop will put in new pin and pads, I think my disc was saved. Ducati discs are very expensive.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ironically my rear caliper pin broke off on my Multi, currently I’m without a rear brake. Parts finally arriving on Friday, shop will put in new pin and pads, I think my disc was saved. Ducati discs are very expensive.

That's pretty odd.. The caliper pretty much holds the pads, the pin(s) just keeps them in place...

I gather no :Slow speed races" while waiting for the repair??

Did the dealer explain why it broke, (or find any info on-line about the failure)?