rear shock came apart wtd?

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Was riding the other day, noticed the bike was way too bouncey. I pulled over put the bike on the center stand. The saw that the shaft came out of the lower part, not sure if it stripped or just unscrewed. I will be pulling the shock tomorrow to see if it is stripped or not.

Has anybody had this happen before?

If its stripped what does a rear shock go for? A used good condition one is fine, as I have no need for an aftermarket one.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a bolt securing a pivot bushing that comprises the lower shock mount. Must have lost that bolt, then the pivot bushing worked it's way out. 1st I've heard of that happening. Most of us have to fight to get that bushing out, involving WD-40, torches, busted knuckles and expanding our vocabularies.

There are likely some freebie shocks around, as many have moved to R6 or R1 shocks.

Anyone help gonnacrash?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang! I can't imagine that spring staying contained if the shaft lost the end cap/shock end! That would make it bouncy!!! Has this bike been lowered with a shortened end? As in, has someone had it apart before?

Used is cheap.... I wouldnt even mess with it!

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I misunderstood the description, I wanted to assume that just the lower mount came loose and somehow jammed in. If either the shock came apart or the bottom of the shock came loose, would have been very likely that the rear would have fully collapsed. Full chopper hardtail mode on an FZ6? More than a little scary.

Either way, someone must be living right!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a bolt securing a pivot bushing that comprises the lower shock mount. Must have lost that bolt, then the pivot bushing worked it's way out. 1st I've heard of that happening. Most of us have to fight to get that bushing out, involving WD-40, torches, busted knuckles and expanding our vocabularies.

There are likely some freebie shocks around, as many have moved to R6 or R1 shocks.

Anyone help gonnacrash?

I'm pretty sure I have a spare stock shock. Shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Allan,
Did you ever advance the trigger wheel for ignition & fueling?

Yes, my super-mechanic did it for me when I had him do the valves and injectors, pushed it only about 2-3 degrees since I don't have a fuel controller (and he's more precise than I). Smoothed out the middle in the 6K-8K transition, didn't change the jerkiness down low but I'm not bogging the engine much anyway.

Hope you're doing well. Gonnacrash, back to you :)