Rear stand vs kick stand

2wheeldrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello! Ive been looking into how to take care of my chain properly and am seeing that the centre stand should be used however I don’t have one and was wondering if a rear stand would be the same or what I should be using when doing chain maintenance, or oil changes or anything around there.
Thank you! Very new rider!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 on the above however, IME, a rear stand can be "tricky" to use...

You have to get the bike staying upright and then start the rear stand.
This transition can be tricky if operating by yourself.

And welcome to the forum!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There certainly is a technique to getting a bike onto a paddock stand. I put the stand into place and make contact with the left side (as viewed from the rear, which is where you’d be standing). As in begin to move the bike up off the kickstand with my left hand, I follow the motion with the paddock stand ( not adding any lifting force yet) with my right hand. With the bike perfectly vertical and now with both contact points engaged with the stand, I drive the stand handle down to the ground.

The first few times you use a paddock stand you may want a spotter on site. But after that it is a one person operation.

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There certainly is a technique to getting a bike onto a paddock stand. I put the stand into place and make contact with the left side (as viewed from the rear, which is where you’d be standing). As in begin to move the bike up off the kickstand with my left hand, I follow the motion with the paddock stand ( not adding any lifting force yet) with my right hand. With the bike perfectly vertical and now with both contact points engaged with the stand, I drive the stand handle down to the ground.

The first few times you use a paddock stand you may want a spotter on site. But after that it is a one person operation.
You forgot to mention how many prayers during it!! :D:D:D